Work life balance

Home Forums General Work life balance

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lorna5 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Lorna5
    Participant

Hi All
    Opinions please is it wrong to do things at the weekend knowing it may affect my ability to work the following week
    I only work 3 days but feel I should do nothing on my 4 days off in case I am then unable to work the following week, my pain levels are bad and have been for weeks but family life doesn’t stop and I need something to make it all worth while
    I would really value your thoughts
    Lorna

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

You have a real dilemma there, Lorna. I faced exactly the same thing many years ago. All I did was go to bed when I got home each day and spent the weekends lying low in order to go back to work on the Monday. No real life at all. In the end retirement was forced on me at 45 as I became very ill with glandular fever. I had six months on sick leave, was still unwell so then resigned.

I wished I’d done it earlier! Things have a way of working out OK, they usually do. 🙂

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, To Be happy and relaxed you should do the things that make you happy and relaxed as much and as best you can. it is good for your overall health and well being. I still do things that I enjoy even if I do end up with slightly increased pain the next day. you still got to have a life out of work regardless of how you are next day as long as it was worth while and contributes to your enjoyment and life. rather than worrying about work as you owe them nothing , the same as they would drop you in a moments notice without much warning. so don’t let work run your life for you.your only on this planet for a short while and time stops for no-one . enjoy yourself and be happy, rather than miserable and worrying.take care and best wishes,Lee

lc
    Participant

Lorna
    Be you and do what you feel as people who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind. take care care and best wishes. Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Thanks Lee
    Feeling guilty if I do anything because of the impact on work but you are right we are only here for a short time
    Lorna

Lorna5
    Participant

Jan
    Thank you I really feel work expect me to do nothing on my days off but life is passing by and even though the pain is made worse by doing things with my family they are worth more to me than work any day i have some tough decisions to make at some point about work but I’m not ready to do that yet
    Lorna

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Lorna
    I agree with all of the above. I spent years and years trying to hide the pain…which has led to much worse health in the long run. I have not been able to work for the last 5 years- I am 50. This was extremely difficult to process and cope with, particularly as my husband was already unable to work due to pain. I could see only what I was losing. I also felt guilty as if I should be able to keep going.

Things really DO have a way of working out, and life is both precious and short. The pay off to being kind to yourself and giving your body what it needs, is improved relationships, new discoveries, and rediscovering old interests.
    Helen.

lc
    Participant

HI Lorna, I used to be like that , had first op then went back to work as i needed money and within 8 months I collapsed and rushed back in for second spinal op. after that my company let me go. I went to my GP and he signed me off Permanently. Not what I was expecting but he said enjoy life as best you can as i had young kids then, as he said do you want them pushing you around ? then take my advice.he retired now. I have not worked since. Yes it was tough at first but over time you get accustomed to it and now enjoy my time as best I can. and adjust to the money as well. I live a simple life, but reasonably good one.The only thing I miss about work is the banter, not the work.but you make new friends and your true friends will come and visit and take you out . the ones I have i can count on one hand. take care and best wishes whatever you decide. Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Thanks Lee and Helen
    So grateful to this forum it’s one of the few places people really understand pain
    Lorna

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.