What do you think?

Home Forums General What do you think?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AnnieD 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Lorna5
    Participant

So I’ve been off sick for 7 weeks now, I was exhausted struggling to walk and crying every day. When I went off sick I just couldn’t continue my gp suggested 7 weeks as I had started gabapentin and was awaiting treatment at the pain clinic and all of these things should make a difference within the 7 weeks however the gabapentin hasn’t helped so going to start pre gablin next week hopefully, the pain clinic still don’t have admission dates for me (I need 3 admissions) and I’m just finishing my 3rd week of antibiotics for a kidney infection so I don’t know what to do the original pain problems haven’t been treated yet I know if I return to work I will be off again if not for the pain directly for the pain clinic admissions so do I stay off and wait for admissions and just have 1 long absence or do I return knowing I will be off? My employer has also said I shouldn’t have more than 3 absences (something my union will argue when I return to work) I know I will have more than 3 absences.
    Also mentally not sure how I will cope

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, From what you have written I think you have answered your own question, if employer says no more than 3 absences and if you try to go back to work you feel you would not last long and have more time off . Then I personally would stay off and not go back to work until you have had the first admission from pain clinic . as your employer should count that as 1 absence regardless of how long. If your struggling mentally then i would advise you to see Gp and tell them your having difficulties mentally and maybe ask for a referral for some counselling or CBT. are you being paid for sickness? if not I would apply for benefits until your able to go back to work.benefits is a long process but you will be backdated and have some money I know it will not be much but it’s something. I’m afraid you may struggle financially for a bit while off. At the end of the day this is all your choice of what you think is best for you. Hope you get sorted soon and have lower pain levels take care and best wishes. Lee

lc
    Participant

Hi, Forgot to say if you went back and kept having time off from work ,it could put you in a worse position with you employer as they look at this as not good attendance regardless of if its the same problem or not. maybe it might be worth having a chat with your boss and HR (human resources). and see what they say. it might make up your mind a bit more in what to do. Best wishes.Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Hi Lee
    I’m fortunate that I’m paid whilst I’m off so that’s not currently an issue, already saw occupational health who said absences would continue but pain and exhaustion have been much worse in the last 12 months I did have spinal surgery on my neck early last year so there has been a lot going on just feel tired doing very little. I really want to return to work feeling that I can do my job and will not be off again if at all possible

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Lorna

sorry that you are having such a rough time. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to be well enough to work. If you are not better then you can’t go back to work- as you say, you will just end up making yourself feel worse.

Be kind to yourself- you are doing your best and it is unbelievably hard to have pain.

It’s good to have Occupational health and your union on side, and very good that you are being paid.

It can take time to find any medication that helps, that has been the case for many of us. I agree with Lee, it is best to tell your GP that you are really stressed and need support.

Try to take one day at a time- none of us know the future ( even those without pain don’t “!)

Take care, Helen

Lorna5
    Participant

Thanks Helen just get so stressed worrying about work so many people have no idea what chronic pain is like im sure they expect me to get fixed

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna,That’s the thing with chronic pain your brain feels like you can do stuff ,then when you are doing it, your body says different. it is a bit of a balancing act in what you do and rest. (pacing). have a chat with your employer and tell them how you are, that you feel like you want to be at work but occasionally will have some time off , put the ball in their court. if you do nothing all day and don’t keep your mind occupied it does make you feel worse and more tired.ongoing pain is exhausting and takes a lot out of you. it is good that they are paying you and OH and union on your side. Maybe see if you can go back part time and slowly build yourself up to full time ,like i say you need to get employer, OH, and union in for a talk and see what they are willing to except from you.Take care and best wishes don,t forget have a chat with GP about being stressed and need help.Well that’s the way I would go at present, Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Thanks Lee seeing my gp Tue so will see what she thinks as you say your mind thinks you can but your body soon says no unfortunately

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Lorna – it’s a really difficult call, and I really feel for you, as a manager I’m a biggie on ACAS viewpoints – so have a read of page 22 of the attached if at all helpful –
    http://m.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/s/k/Disability_discrim_keypoints_workplace_Nov.pdf

All the best on Tuesday – best wishes AnnieD

Lorna5
    Participant

So gp has signed me off for 2 months, pain is still not controlled I’m starting pre gablin today gp wants me to have had treatment at pain clinic as well and still waiting for that plus the urine sample I took in is not completely clear of infection either. I had quite a good conversation with her and she doesn’t think I will manage work as I currently am so that’s that. I have had 2 mris so far this week bloods and another scan friday I will take her advice but also try to start doing some gentle exercise daily .Thank you everyone really helps having you all to listen
    Lorna

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, Use the 2 months wisely and concentrate on getting yourself reasonably better also hope the the pregablin works well for you, start slow and gentle with stretching and core strengthening exercises as this will also help in the long run. glad to hear its going the right way for you with scans ect. as a proper diagnosis helps you to properly help yourself in what you do.Take care and best wishes. Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Thanks Lee having a look for some gentle exercise on you tube that i can follow I used to enjoy gentle yoga so that may be a starting point

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, try google ,type in NHS gentle stretching and core strengthening exercises it will give short videos on how to do some exercises. also you can print some off on different ones.or like you say go back to yoga or palates. take care and best wishes. Lee

AnnieD
    Participant

Lorna – here’s wishing you all the very best and getting back up on that upwards rollercoaster ride of life – take care & stay warm & let us know how you’re getting along – best wishes AnnieD

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.