Trying to keep myself occupied

Home Forums General Trying to keep myself occupied

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  kitty 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

kitty
    Participant

Hi everyone

I am now four and a half weeks post DIANA SI joint revision surgery. I have to use crutches for 12 weeks but lie down most of the time. This means that i am pretty much housebound, so I have been trying to keep myself occupied. This is the first week I have felt slightly better, and boredom is setting in…. I’ve watched far too much rubbish daytime TV, I’ve read lots of books, some good and some bad, watched several DVD’s, and done umpteen crosswords and word searches. Unfortunately, I’m not really good at crafts etc., but I was really looking for something else to do, so someone suggested colouring!

I looked on Amazon and saw that you can get colouring books for adults (!), so i ordered one and a pack of crayons. The one I ordered is called ‘Colour Yourself Calm’ and is a book of Mandalas. These are circles, very intricate and used as a form of meditative art. I am finding tcolouring them very relaxing!

I can recommend colouring -even though doing it makes me feels about 9 years old! Does anybody have anything else they could suggest?

Thanks….. here’s wishing you all a pain free evening….

sarah kay
    Participant

Keep colouring and enjoy being creative. Do hope your health improves
    soon sarahx

jackie Kellie
    Participant

I too bought some colouring materials Wore a hat and dark shades in the shop!!!

however I found it one of the most relaxing and absorbing past times. I m not good at crafts either.

What about learning a new language? plenty of help on the internet

All the best

Rose
    Participant

Take up drawing. Doesn’t matter if you feel you don’t have talent. It’s all about learning ” drawing what you see” takes awhile, in fact could take longer. But in the end it becomes a Hobby. I will never be like Di on here, BUT I do find it challenging. Start with a “b” grade pencil. Think at mo I use a 3 b but 2 b and others also fine and get a putty rubber. All will be available on line. Also a drawing pad. Have fun. Don’t take it too seriously at first. And as everyone says, practice. Enjoy.
    I sometimes add colour with water based pens/felt tips. Oh and also, date your work. You may find how much you have improved along the way as the time goes by.

kitty
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about trying drawing, but Im pretty useless at it. Still, don’t suppose it really matters…. I wont have to show anybody, haha!

Laura
    Participant

Hi Kitty,

Hope you are continuing to improve after your surgery.

Have you done your family tree? If you can use the internet on a laptop or tablet lying down you could sign up for a free trial on Ancestry, think it was a month I had. I found it very interesting and absorbing. I got back to 1633 on my father’s side, now I’m going to attempt a scrapbook about my family, I’m not crafty either so it is difficult to start but I’m determined to get it done this year.

Take care

Antonia
    Participant

Hi Kitty – just wanted to add that I would be totally lost without my IPad especially for the days when all I can do is lay down. I used to be quite “crafty” but don’t seem to have the patience or inclination now so I tend to rely heavily on my IPad for entertainment. Either watching movies, playing games (I purchased Fairway Solitaire over 2 years ago for about £1.99 and they send my courses every day free of charge) I find it quite challenging which is a great pain distractor, emailing, keeping up with people on Facebook (though this makes me more aware of how much I am not doing so not always great). I also do online surveys for which I receive shopping vouchers once I have accumulated a certain number of points – they come in handy for presents! I also do free online courses through FutureLearn, learned of these through a post on here for which I am very grateful. They are usually about 6 weeks in duration and you do them at your own pace, there is no pressure to finish etc. Hope today is a better day for you. Take care. Jan 🙂

kitty
    Participant

Thank you so much for all these great suggestions x

sukie
    Participant

Hi Kitty,

Apologies for responding to this old post, but I myself underwent a DIANA Cage surgery in September 2015 but my condition has been worsening.

May I ask where did you undergo your revision surgery and if you are feeling lots better now?

Many thanks and take care! xx

kitty
    Participant

Hi Sukie

So sorry to hear that you are still in pain after your DIANA SI surgery.

I had both my surgeries done in Germany. The first one didn’t help/fuse, so I researched the doctor who has studied a lot with the ‘inventor’ of the procedure in America. He works in Halberstadt. He teaches the procedure and lectures on it etc. We talked a lot about the possibility of revision surgery…. the original doctor wanted me to have ifuse but I had never wanted that. I decided to go for the revision surgery. He used a bigger implant and was super careful with my recovery period etc… and I am delighted to say that it seems to have been a complete success! I have other spinal issues but the SI pain is 99% gone 🙂

Are you in UK?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Moderator2. Reason: So sorry but we can't mention doctors by name on this forum. I hope you have a good recovery

sukie
    Participant

Dear Kitty,

Thank you so much for getting back to me!

I am so happy to hear that your revision surgery was a success and your SI pain is pretty much non-existent now! I hope your spinal issues will soon disappear too. =)

I am not based in the UK, unfortunately. I had my surgery in Malaysia, but am looking at travelling to Germany to get a second opinion, as my surgeon seems to be the only one in South East Asia who performs this surgery using the DIANA cage system.

In fact, I remember my surgeon mentioning that the professor who “trained” him on the DIANA method is based in Germany.

Having visited other orthopaedic surgeons, they all recommend I either remove the cage and get iFuse or do revision surgery, but no other surgeon here in Malaysia is willing to remove the DIANA for me as they are not familiar with it! My operating surgeon pretty much insists surgery was a success and is not willing to remove the cage.

Thank you so very much for your time again, it is very much appreciated. xxxx

kitty
    Participant

Hi again Suki

I know that we are not supposed to recommend doctors here, but………… 😉

You can email him, he always replies- sometimes takes a little while, but he will reply.

Let me know if I can be of any further help….

All the very best to you x

kitty
    Participant

PS MY apologies for mentioning his name… after I had posted the above I saw Moderator 2’s comments. Sorry….

sukie
    Participant

Dear Kitty,

I hope I didn’t get you into any trouble by you mentioning the doctor’s name! :s

I will send him an email and will be looking forward to his reply! =)

If you don’t mind me asking, what other spinal issues do you have and did you undergo any other surgeries other than this si joint fusion?

Thank you so much! xx

kitty
    Participant

No problem….. I hope!

I have a very long history of spinal problems over many years. I currently have all of my lumbar spine fused, as well as two levels in my neck/cervical spine and now problems at the lower thoracic levels, which I doing my absolute best to ignore. It’s not surprising that I developed SI joint issues, really. Interestingly, although it was the right side that had the DIANA, I’m told that the left side is in very bad condition too – but it doesn’t bother me at all! Long may that continue..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.