Tiredness

Home Forums General Tiredness

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lizzielynx 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

John I
    Participant

I’m a 72 year old man suffering from chronic pain due to a spinal tumour removal, 30 years ago. You can guess that things have got more difficult over time. I take 20mg of Targinact (oxycodone) twice a day but having taken it for so long, its ineffective. I use a wheelchair, except for a few steps between stairlift and toilet.

My biggest frustration is tiredness. I can keep going between about 9:30am and 4:00pm and after that I’ve had it and pick up a book, sitting in an armchair. Of course keeping going, just means sitting at my computer or doing something else while seated.

Can anyone help by explaining I’m not alone?

Thanks.

Lc
    Participant

Hi JohnI, living with pain is tiring,and draining plus taking the meds your on adds to it and can make you sleepy, so not really surprised. I’m 53 and get like that most days. by around 5 – 7 pm I’ve had enough and end up flat out on back all evening. I badly fractured /dislocated pelvis and 2 spinal ops and in constant pain. been like it for about 23 years now. as long as you keep the mind active and be as active as you can then personally I don’t worry about it. if you need an afternoon nap then have one. nothing wrong in that. to recharge yourself. try some new hobby like art, drawing, painting, small wood carvings, leather work ,that,s all what I do and my family tree.
    I understand it can all be frustrating at times, and NO your not alone in this, many others probably get like this too, and for your age and what you have had done, I think you do well. this site helps me a lot talking to others in a similar position, helps keep your sanity to, So don’t worry about it. you do what you can when you can.and if your knackered after have a nap. keep in touch . take care and best wishes. Lee

Laura
    Participant

Hi John,

I’m impressed you can keep going until 4 p.m.! Do you sleep well at night? I would mention it to your doctor to be on the safe side.

I often nod off after lunch. I do all the things I need to do in the morning so I can relax in the afternoon. My worst day for tiredness is when I do 3 hours in a charity shop but I enjoy it and it gets me out of the house so I do it despite the extra pain and tiredness.

I don’t take any meds for my pain, been there, tried them all. I have to pace myself which is a challenge in itself.

sarah kay
    Participant

= do hope you feel better soon have you had a blood test lately? sarah+

lizzielynx
    Participant

I find I go through periods of extreme tiredness and then day when I feel more I’m 40 and feel that it’s not age it’s the experience of dealing with chronic pain that at some stages we cope better and other times it’s like a raging away and you feel like you cant go on. I think it just always is a battle

sarah kay
    Participant

Depression sometimes causes that I think?

lizzielynx
    Participant

sarah I agree periods of depression and increased pain are linked but I find that I have periods of complete lethargy that are directly related to pain. those are the periods I hate the most

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.