Red light therapy

Home Forums General Red light therapy

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Christine 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

Does anyone use this? It’s not quite the same as infra red. I have bought a small hand held unit for a tight area on my back, and am trying to work out how long a session should be, though it seems to be a matter of working it out for yourself!

Christine

dalhousie
    Participant

I’m wondering how that helps with chronic pain issues? I’ve heard about it in relation to skin conditions. I googled it and it mentioned it in relation to boosting ATP. Was that ARC4Health trial some ppl did on here recently to do with ATP.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  dalhousie.

Christine
    Participant

This is where I got some information from:

The Research Behind Red and Infrared Light Therapy

The Arc4Health was ATP-related, yes.

lc
    Participant

Hi Christine, I think many years ago now that a physio tried something like this on me where I had a red light over my back area for about 20 minutes, it gave off a deep warming sensation as though it went right through me. then she came back and gave me a deep massage, I did feel better for the rest of the day but not sure wether this was due to the light or massage or the combination of both. either way it did feel good, but have not had it since and have not heard of it since either.only through a sports therapist.
    If like Dalhousie says its to do with ATP I trialed the arc4health device with no effect what so ever as with the rest who trialed it.
    All I can say is give it a go for 20 mins a day, and after a few weeks see how you are.
    Let us know how you get on and if it works for you, like all these things what works for one person does not mean it will work for someone else. Hope you get some relief from it and even if it makes you feel good thats the main thing. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Christine
    Participant

Ages ago I had an infra red lamp for something similar, but it’s so old that I wasn’t sure if it would still work!
    You’ve jogged my memory, Lee. I can also remember having a physio using a lamp which I seem to recall as having an orange light, and which was warming. These red lights don’t warm you as they are LEDs (I think that’s right).
    I must say it’s a bit boring!!

Christine

lc
    Participant

Hi Christine, If its something to do with atp and these red lights dont warm you, then just try it but going on the machine it is slow to work, if it works for you at all, as those on here who trialed the machine. take care and best wishes it might do something for you just try it for a few months and see. nothing ventured nothing gained. Lee

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Christine – you’re very good at finding these alternative remedies, way to go you as I much prefer this route! I’ll be interested to hear how you get, so do keep us updated! best wishes AnnieD

Christine
    Participant

I came across it on a thyroid website where someone had used it successfully on his thyroid, and had been able to reduce the amount of thyroid hormone he was taking.

I haven’t noticed any difference so far, and it is a bit tricky. Also, I’m trying to work out how long a treatment should be – it seems to be trial and error. The thyroid person said he had overdone it initially.

Christine

lc
    Participant

Hi Christine, That’s a new one for me, I have had under active thyroid for 17 years.and never heard of it. Can you remember if the person had under or over active?
    This light therapy as a starter for other light therapies I have had they have never used it more than 20-30 mins at one time, per day. so maybe this might give you some guide. any way hope you get some relief and notice a difference ,soon keep us updated. take care and best wishes. Lee

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

I tried this type of therapy years ago. I borrowed the light from a friend who used it successfully. I used it for 10 minutes on my lower back when it was very inflamed and it just made it worse and gave me a massive flare-up. I didn’t use it again.

So if the area is badly inflamed I’d be a bit cautious and just use it for a few minutes and build up. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Jan at PainSupport

Christine
    Participant

I think the person was under-active, Lee.

Jan, I don’t think it is inflamed but I am being careful.

Christine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.