Post op L5 S1 fusion 15 years now L4 is shot???

Home Forums General Post op L5 S1 fusion 15 years now L4 is shot???

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lc 3 hours, 10 minutes ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jamie
    Participant

Now what do I do?

Laura
    Participant

Hi Jamie,

Sorry to hear about your problem with L4. I had a 2 level lumbar fusion in 2011 but it didn’t work so had all the hardware taken out. However, I remember reading that once hardware is in and keeping everything strong the levels above and below are at risk of failing.

Has your 15 year old fusion been successful? Presumably you have seen a surgeon about this, what do they suggest?

I do empathise especially as I’m having bad pain in the lumbar area again along with the nerve damage in my legs caused by the operations I’ve had. It’s difficult to win with spines!

Jamie
    Participant

I’m also sorry that you yourself are having difficulties! I know how tough it can be! I wish you well Laura!

Jamie
    Participant

Laura,

I appreciate the reply! To be honest my fusion surgery took away the worst pain which was in my groin! But the inflammation has been very difficult to say the least! I have good days and bad! I have learned that any kind of activity I will pay for 1 to 3 days afterwards! But now my L4 Disc which is doing the work for the fused discs is getting much worse! My surgeon did tell me that this was likely to happen! I also have discs in my thoracic region that were from my first injury acting up and one in my neck! I would imagine that this would be considered degenerative Disc disease? If you look at my MRI all my discs are kind of black! So lots of water and working on weight loss to see if it helps! I have been thinking about a shot in the L4 region but my first surgeon told me that temporary relief is great but scar tissue build up from the shots long term is worse? So there you have it! I also want to mention that I live grateful because some folks are a lot worse off then me!!! Thanks for your time!

Jamie

Lc
    Participant

Hi Jamie, I know exactly what your talking about, That’s the trouble with fusion it can be great for some years but over time will effect the joints above and below the fusion and put a lot of pressure on the discs, which over time will fail. I’m in the same boat, had fusion 14/5/ s1 now with si joint problems but I did fracture /dislocate pelvis and had 2 spinal surgeries left me with chronic persistent pain ,nerve damage /pain now with arthritis and all degenerative. keeping yourself as mobile as possible and keeping the pain under some control and manageable and try to keep your body weight within your ideal weight , will help. I understand it is difficult though. surgeons wont touch me again unless I lose bladder/bowel control, and have exhausted physio and pain management , but make sure you keep under a pain clinic as they can help control pain better than GP but it does all vary from region to region. Take care and best wishes,Lee

Jamie
    Participant

Hi Lee and thank you for the reply! Wow so you do know what’s going on with me! I think the weight I’m carrying is definitely one of my issues! I said that today would be the day I get back to the gym and control my eating habits as well! I’m still heavy and know that is a contributing factor to my problems! I’m done with surgery unless obviously something bad happens! Pain management for me is ibuprofen and rest! I’m glad I never started any other kind of drugs! Sorry this is the way we had to meet! I hope that time truly does heal all wounds and we both get the relief we need maybe through the grace of God! I will be starting that walking program today and thanks again for writing! I wish you wellness!

Lc
    Participant

Hi Jamie, you sound quite positive which is good it’s all a state of mind. I do use crutches to walk and a wheelchair user, all I can do is gentle stretching exercises, and core strengthening and I swim for an hour, non stop, better in the swimming pool than out on land, I try to keep to a minimum on pain meds so when I do have flare ups they work for me , But been on all sorts over the years and injections nerve ablations ect, either short lived relief or didn’t work or adverse reactions. and hated being like a zombie and feeling ill . all i take is amitryptiline, naproxen co-codamol , dihydrocodiene as and when ,but use a Tens which masks the pain for me it doesn’t take it away, I also do mindfulness, and other relaxation visualization techniques do wood carving , leather work and draw and paint, also do my family tree. been through depression and suicidal thoughts which done counselling but it was the CBT 1-1 and mindfulness that got me through also finding this site has helped talking to others that now how your truly feeling with empathy and understanding. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Jamie
    Participant

Lee,
    Sorry I didn’t write sooner! Can I ask you what happened to you? All the things your doing to rehab yourself I was doing! It was huge in bringing me back to some normalcy whatever that is after someone goes through a spine injury! The crazy part about this whole thing for me is as soon as I made strides in getting better the insurance company would pull my rehab money! Then of course I would regress curl up in a ball in my bed feeling sorry for myself! That’s when I finally started to realize that I’m on my own with this! So I had to change just to stay at a progression point! I gained a lot of weight due to being sedentary! It’s a crazy yo-yo! I am beginning once again to get myself back in the gym, follow a better eating program and hopefully turn this thing around! I wish you well and will pray that God will continue to give you strength to work through this crazy thing we are all involved in! I’m always here so if you need anything reach out! Thank you for you! Your feedback and caring are huge in a life where everyone has abandoned me! lol No worries though! We got this!
    Jamie

Lc
    Participant

Hi Jamie, yes car accident I was rear seat passenger which took full force hit another car doing 80mph we spun out a lorry doing 60 mph hit where I was sitting and went over the top of car, nearly died. Thank you it means a lot to me if in some small way I can help others, you don’t need to be alone with this site, as people understand, and all been down a similar path. others that do not live with constant pain have not got a clue and will never understand what we have to go through.it’s only by talking to others that are in the same boat really know what we talk about. take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.