Plagued by injury

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mattp77
    Participant

All my life I’ve been active, sports, weight training, boxing and working as a carpenter, I built my own business which now hangs in the balance.
    Over the last 8 years I’ve had back problem, chronic elbow tendinitis, torn the wrist TFCC clean off, now shoulder pain, knee pain, ankle pain, knock pain, I’m only 37! Trying different diets at the moment but nothing seems to get rid of the pain, had numerous blood/stool test, chest X-ray, liver ultrasound, ECG, tried all different supplements COD oil, turmeric, glucosamine, nothing seems to help…..could it be in just old!
    I’ve smoked on and off since I was a teenager but don’t drink, trying to quit smoking but it’s tough when you don’t feel you have anything to look forward to anymore!
    Plus worried about my career and how I’ll survive if I can’t work, NHS don’t seem to provide any answers…no idea where to turn to to be honest!

Raphael
    Participant

You are paying the price of multiple overuse injuries. Take up swimming and do not waste your money on special medications and therapies!
    You are going to have this for years; but slow down and gentle exercises as suggestion and self massage!
    Good luck
    Raphael

mattp77
    Participant

Sounds promising 😀

Lc
    Participant

Hi mattp77, many people who have worked in the building industry suffer joint problems with back ,knees elbows shoulders ect without exercising, so I agree with Raphael to have overused your body to much for to long, now its coming to pay back time, SLOW DOWN a bit exercise is good to keep fit but an obsession with it can cause more damage early before your time, the only exercise I can do is swimming which keeps me fit as possible and gets heart pumping. and gentle stretching exercises on land, is all i can manage now days,all the stuff your trying may help a bit, but will not get rid of pain. sounds like the damage is already done, so need to look for ways to manage it all. and pace yourself without causing more pain. the links at top of this page in blue I think might help you and put you on the right track to managing pain ect. take care and best wishes, Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Matt
    I totally agree with the others- your body is giving you very clear mutiple messages to slow down. Like many on here I pushed myself harder and harder…and that never ends well!

Adapting and finding the things that are helpful might not happen overnight, but you will end up in a much brighter place by being kinnd to yourself and taking it a day at a time.

Take care
    Helen

mattp77
    Participant

suppose I best start thinking about a new career then.

Lc
    Participant

Hi mattp77,
    Personally I would not jack your career in just yet, carry on with it, being in the building trade keeps you fit enough anyway, just cut out all the other stuff you were doing, and see how that goes , if your still struggling with your ailments and pain and it doesn,t settle ,then think about a change of career or you be the boss and see if there’s a way you could employ someone to do your work for you. and build up a business, anyway what ever you choose to do, take care and best wishes, Lee

mattp77
    Participant

Unfortunately being an employer has been the major cause of most of my injuries….business goes from 0-100 with no warning and at one point I was paying out £10k a week in wages! That pressure is a big weight to carry and forced me into working an 80 hour week as standard….
    I’ve currently let all my guys go and can do about 2 days work a week before the pain sets in, I then pretty much sleep the rest of the week and try and prepare for the next week.
    I am thinking of ordering growth hormone from China to help my body regenerate…not sure if anyone has any experience of this?

Raphael
    Participant

This would be a silly thing to do. Growth Hormone should only be prescribed by a registered medical practitioner!

mattp77
    Participant

Yes I agree would be a bit of a stab in the dark, just trying to find something to help me mend.

I’m 6 and 9 months post op on my wrists at the moment so hoping that will improve as time goes on, I think the pain in my shoulders is from not being able to use my arms properly the last year going through surgery, never had problems with shoulders before.

Have another new pain in both my ankles though which is worrying, maybe due to me gaining weight after surgery.

My previous back injury hasn’t bothered me the last few years but seems a bit twingey…again maybe due to laying around a lot.

Elbows that were a major problem a few years ago feel ok but just have a general clunky achey feeling all over my body at the moment which makes me wonder if something else is going on…

Trying to get 150g of protein a day as I’m quite a big guy, fish oil, glucosamine, turmeric and extra vitamin C

Raphael
    Participant

Rather see a physiotherapist to help you build up your muscles. Lack of use following prolonged rest will cause the muscles to shrink, but you can build up with the right exercises and do not waste your money on all the supplements. That amount of protein will possibly give you gout!!!
    Good luck, but stick to proper medical advice and not health geeks.

Lc
    Participant

Hi mattep77, Ok if thats your situation which I was unaware of then maybe need to think about doing something else in wood that you can manage, I do wood carving from small to medium size stuff along with leather work. , also I totally agree with Raphael you need to get proper advice from physio and sports physio all this stuff your thinking about is just a waste of money try some of it, but dont be surprised if it doesn’t work. maybe get to see a pain clinic if your in pain they would help better than GP as they just give you pills that for me the pain killers are not that effective on getting you out of pain but i have nerve damage/pain arthritis and SIJ problems after ” back surgeries and fractured /dislocated pelvis after an accident. take care and best wishes Lee

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.