Piriformis syndrome

Home Forums General Piriformis syndrome

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lc 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

lc
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    Been doing a bit of research for you, and it it seems that piriformis surgery is a very last resort, and they are a bit reluctant to do it. They would rather try and fix things without surgery, like traction, physio,injections, ect. ect. first.and once exhausted all methods then maybe surgery.
    But the best places I found is London – “The spine surgery”. and “London spine clinic” ,which is in Harley street. the latter is obviously Private. but either way they will still try conservative measures first, rather than surgery, like with all spinal nerve problems they, like myself will not do surgery unless you are unable to walk, lose control of movement in the effected leg, or lose bladder/bowel control.which is exactly what I have been told.
    So I’m afraid like most of us on here it is a long slow mentally and physically trying ,testing time for you.
    But it does not stop you from trying to find relief from a mixture of medications and alternative medicine in the mean time to help you cope with what your living with.
    AS I have stated a couple of posts back, Lay it on a bit thick and that it is now effecting your mental health as well as physical, and want something done to stop you from being in this pain. at your next pain clinic appt.
    Sorry but I don’t have the answers you want as in surgery, and it will be a long walk to get to this point. so put it on as if it is worse than it is, to try and get them to jump to other methods rather than pills injections and physio as it is clearly not working for you, for them to stop messing around and get your problem sorted. that is all you can do, every time you visit DRS ,pain clinic,physio,ect. In the meantime I wish you a less pain day and you always have this site to return to, to rant and talk to people. also keep us informed of your progress. you will get support from people who understand and been through all this process. Take care and best wishes, Lee

Paul
    Participant

Yep just rung em actually it’s private costs fortunes. Not right that in this day and age you are forced to live in pain and it is affecting my mental health all drugs they give ya just space you out but pain still there.. Struggling to get into work took last few days off coz of pain losing money spending fortunes on all types of physio acupuncture osteopath etc etc along wiv all kinds of health supplements and still in pain arggghhh.. Cheers tho paul

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Jan Sadler. Reason: Swear words removed

lc
    Participant

Hi Paul Yes I do fully understand been down every avenue myself over the years as with many others on this site , and Ive told consultants ,DR’s ect you wouldn’t let a dog live in pain as it’s un ethical, what about humans is that ok. they just dont answer or dont know how to. if I was a dog i would have been put down years ago. so to with others, LOL but laugh you must to get through it all, but CBT and Mindfulness helped me to live with pain and live in the here and now, not to think about past or future, but in the moment, whether in pain or not. and helped me come to terms with it all and that I’ll be in pain the rest of my days, also how to deal and cope with it all , in a non judgemental way, and to stop blaming and beating myself up over it all.
    Pain killers like opoids don’t work for nerve pain anyway, its only things like gabapentin,lyrica amitriptyline and drugs along them lines can help If you can tolerate the side effects and dont have adverse reactions like I do.and can only take amitriptyline. and use a Tens also mindfulness meditation, relaxation,visualisation technics help me cope.
    Take care and best wishes, Lee

Paul
    Participant

Cheers lee total shit situation eh may write letter to doc saying im willing to av one more course of injections but if they dont work i would like to be put forward for surgery but problem i have there is i dont know if you can get piriformis release surgery on nhs !! I will state im severely depressed but i know he will say im wiv pain clinic and its a waiting game just feel at a point where dont know wat to do …ct scans are showing my sciatic nerve running thru piriformis hence my pain .such an unknown situation and some surgeons iv spoke to dont even believe in my condition.

lc
    Participant

Hi Paul, you can get surgery done on nhs , a case for them to decide its necessary and exhausted all other options, my advice keep pushing on mental health side of things as well as your problem and push hard, also what you have just said try one more injection and if that doesn’t work you want surgery tell GP and all others that are on your case.
    I wish you good luck in getting surgery , keep fighting. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.