Piriformis syndrome

Home Forums General Piriformis syndrome

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lc 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

Hi all anyone else have this awful condition and why does doctors and pain clinic want you to manage the pain rather than go to the source any ideas

Lc
    Participant

Hi Paul, try looking the symptom up on google, make sure its NHS one, it will tell you all about it. but from my knowledge it’s muscle spasm which can compress nerves or compress nerves when sitting and need to try relaxing the muscles in buttocks, also stretching exercises to, to help, I don’t think there is much they can do , but i might be wrong ,but if really struggling with it try seeing a physio to help you do exercises correctly.
    I think that is why Dr’s and pain clinic are not that interested as it,s relatively minor condition to them, but should have told you more info on it or referred you to physio. I don’t have this problem but understand if it’s compression nerves then understand nerve pain can be debilitating and painful. I hope that you get proper advice and proper treatment soon to help you with your pain for this condition soon.
    let us know how you get on ,and keep in touch. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Paul
    Participant

Argh o know what it is had it four yrs nerve pain progressively getting worse i dont want to Manage pain i want piriformis resection surgery…my nerve is running through my piriformis which is constantly spasming but hard to find a surgeon for this

Lc
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    Sorry I thought that this was all new to you the way you wrote first message.
    So I take it you had all the injections and stuff that has not worked .Have you had ESWT( extracorporeal shock wave therapy) )? if so and that hasn’t worked either and exhausted all other methods, then I understand you want surgery, try getting a referral to a hospital that does this surgery from pain clinic ,surely it must be done in major city hospitals like wales , London,hospitals,Bournemouth, Gloucestershire, Nottingham ect. depending where you are in the country. or even write yourself with your records of this to these hospitals but it may cost you for a copy of medical records, then photocopy them yourself at home, it sounds like bad management if your local hospital cannot do this for you.then write a complaint to them if necessary. or the other option is go private but this may cost a pretty penny especially if you don’t have the funds like some do. but sometimes its a case of keep badgering your local pain clinic and some have to go through and try everything else first before they do anything like surgery. Hope you find a hospital soon that you can get referred to without any expenditure and that you get sorted soon to address your pain. Keep us informed of how you get on with things and your progress.
    Take care and best wishes. Lee

Paul
    Participant

Hi cheers for support sorry if I was blunt but had a gutful I’m awaiting 2nd lot of injections off pain clinic at mo but suffering bad piriformis is crushing my sciatic nerve and nothing seems to be able to shift it.. May I ask why you are on here??

Lc
    Participant

Hi Paul, That’s ok we all have to let off a bit of steam sometimes and understand it is frustrating. I’m on here as i suffer nerve pain/damage chronic pain SI joint problem and arthritis, after a car accident and fractured/dislocated pelvis and 2 lots of back surgery, fusion, and know that long term pain causes depression for which I have had counselling to address childhood issues and CBT and mindfulness for depression and suicide tendancy also PTSD. been living with pain for about 23 years. so been through it all. and exhausted physio and other treatments and last resort for me is more surgery which they are reluctant to do unless i lose bladder /bowel control
    anyway ask pain clinic if they could refer you somewhere to get surgery done ,worth a try.
    Also this site has helped me alot by talking to like minded people who truly understand what living with pain is all about.
    take care and best wishes, and hope you find the solution you need to get your problem sorted.being blunt is not a problem I am like this with some of my answers to people we all need to know the truth and we all understand. Lee

Paul
    Participant

Aw shit theres me thinking four yrs was bad..i just dont understand this country seems to me they would rather keep you/us drugged up than deal with actual problem ..im aware surgery must be expensive but surely better to go to the cause not the symptoms hope your cpuncelling helped had quite a bit myself also to get over childhood stuff ..paul

Lc
    Participant

HI Paul, counselling sorted childhood stuff out, but CBT and mindfulness got me out off depression ,ptsd and suicide thoughts, which counselling could not resolve. even said to my dr,s and other people you wouldn,t let a dog suffer in pain ,so why humans ,no one can can give you a straight answer or just dont answer.
    take care and best wishes. Lee

Paul
    Participant

Hmm its a strange world ..finances half of it i reckon

Lc
    Participant

Hi Paul. Yes your right. also political red tape .also if they cannot understand fully why, and struggle to help if they cannot find a cause or problem when mechanically fixed and neuro problems are hard to fix and left to nature.or cannot find anything mechanically or neuro wrong with you. for them is just a mine field. at least you have a diagnosis the same as me, which makes it a bit easier to try and find something to help you. the people i feel sorry for are those that are in pain and they cannot diagnose what the cause is. at least you know what is causing your pain. which is a bonus, I try and live on minimal pain killers ect as possible and would rather go the alternative root as I hate being doped up to the eyeballs and zombified.
    take care and best wishes.Lee

Paul
    Participant

Yea i have spells of using them then not they dont work anyhow and nor do i get benefit from muscle relaxants or pregablin ..my sciatic is running through my piriformis so got constant nerve pain ..if i go to osteopath he helps release most of tension but few hrs later its back being squashed again..complete nightmare

Lc
    Participant

Hi Paul, I understand your frustrations, but pain clinic is your best bet ,you just got to really be straight and tell them that all this stuff they keep trying is not working and please could they refer you to get something done to stop this pain as your at the end of your tether, also need it resolved, and mentally struggling to cope with whats going on and need real help to get pain resolved,it is effecting your mental health and physical health to, if they cannot stop it, then tell them you want a referral to someone who can help. and to stop using you as a guinea pig. truly trapped nerves don’t get resolved by popping pills and surgery is the only option.in my experience. also injections ect are for me only short lived relief or don’t work and sometimes can cause more problems. try laying all that on the table of your next pain clinic appt. and see what they say. persevere with them and if you don’t come away with a satisfactory answer then ask to refer you or go to a different hospital. I wish you luck and less pain. 4 years is a long time without any resolvement. take care and best wishes. Lee

Paul
    Participant

Hi lee yes i seem to have same problem with injections at mo trying cbd oil as drops and vape to trial it out …yep frustrating aint the word ..take care paul

Lc
    Participant

Hi Paul, Let me know if the cbd oil works for you. as i know you can get different strengths ,types in the oil. I have a friend who uses a spray under her tongue which helps her tremendously. we have friends who live in spain and she gets hers from there. she told her Dr, and he said if it works for you, thats fine.
    I know frustrating is not really the word, but cannot use swear words here a lot, as your post will get deleted. but its the nearest word i know, and it is frustrating to a point you feel like banging your head up against a wall and feel like a coke bottle that has been shaking up and ready to explode. This is where I find what I have learnt from CBT and practicing Mindfulness becomes a useful tool.to put everything in perspective and stop your brain from running away with itself. to help me through difficult , stressful,times. just got to find something to help you cope while your trying to sort or get sorted you problem. Have you tried a Tens machine ? I know it helps me, doesn’t take the pain away but masks the pain so I can carry on a little easier. Take what I said in my last post to your next pain clinic and see what they say then.I really hope you get sorted soon. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Paul
    Participant

Yea tried tens machine absolutely killed me lol felt gd at time ..as for the oil iv only got hemp at mo thats not working but got vape seems to be just taking edge off a tiny bit but thats gd ..hope your well ..paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.