Physio for nerve pain

Home Forums General Physio for nerve pain

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lc 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Joyce
    Participant

I know age has a lot to do with it, I’m right at the top of when they’ll consider doing it at 65 may I ask how old you were when you had the op and did it go wrong straight away? I am under Guys and my consultant has been very patient with me but the clocks ticking and I reckon I’ll get a call very soon.
    I too have severe stenosis caused by arthritis of my spine. I still get on with things and it isn’t stopping me doing anything although I am often in severe pain plus the added bonus of sciatica in both legs and feet.

Laura
    Participant

Hi Joyce,

I was in my early 50s when I had the ops.

Within 6 months of the stabilisation operation I had a full fusion but then the following year had all the instrumentation taken out. I never had any pain relief from the operations. What I didn’t know was that multiple operations at the same site can cause irreversible nerve damage/scar tissue so that’s something to know about up front.

I too always carried on with things, still do but I feel my pain is getting worse as I get older. And the physio exercises are killing my back!

Lc
    Participant

Hi Laura,and Joyce, I would advise you to keep doing gentle core strengthening and stretching exercises regular may 2-3 times a week or when you can as this does help you to keep going and moving, try something like I do ,swimming once a week as your weightless and also keeps you fit do as much as you can /feel without overdoing it(pacing) all that you do.it also helps with your posture too, which if you stop doing this muscles ect will start to tighten up and make you stiff so when you do try something it will cause more pain than you already have. I know where your both coming from as we get older it seems that we get worse,thats why its important to exercise regular so you dont become a vegetable in a chair, I use a self propelled wheelchair when out, my choice. as it keeps me heart pumping and sometimes build up a sweat. it’s still exercising and keeps me fit as i can be, despite being in constant pain it is not doing me any more damage than I already have. its a case of little and often as you can. and slowly over the months build it up, you soon know when you have hit your max. but you need to learn to stop before the pain gets worse then rest,then later on do a bit more. if you keep a dairy of what you do you will find that as the months go by you can do a little more than when you started. well that’s what i found. I hit my max when i go swimming once a week. like set a goal week 1 then in week 2 do one more of each exercise if its to much on one of the exercises just go back to what you was doing for another week then try again later. you will find that some weeks you feel as though your going backwards but thats fine just try again the following week . Hope you get what I mean. take care the both of you and best wishes.Lee

Laura
    Participant

Hi Lee,

I agree it’s very important to keep moving… my husband and I share the housework, he does the heavy stuff, I do the lighter stuff, he mows the grass, I sow the seeds, I cook, he washes up,we share it out according to what we can do.

Only wish I could go swimming but there’s nowhere I can go and just paddle about, if you can’t swim lengths that’s a no no and I haven’t the strength to do lengths and never did have!

I’ve been doing my core strength exercises the physio gave me 2 weeks ago and my back is still in flare up mode, have an appt on Monday so will see what he says!

Lx

Lc
    Participant

Hi Laura, sometimes my flare ups last anywhere between a week and 2 months, so this is when you go real steady and slowly does it, I know people where I go who do not swim lengths as we have a gentle swim time, most do swim lengths but some just exercise at the side of the pool and chat and one lady who suffers arthritis just puts velcro weights around ankles and wrists and just walks up and down the edge width ways, just seems a shame you feel you cannot go, just being in the water just takes all the weight off and feels good. anyway it’s up to you what you do it’s choice. Hope it all settles down soon for you, take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.