Pain management programme

Home Forums General Pain management programme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Suzanneford45
    Participant

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone had been offered a pain management programme through the pain clinic I have been offered it and am really undecided whether to go its a 45 minute drive which in itself causes me more pain and it’s for 3 weeks kind of feel that the benefits of going will be undone by the drive there am hoping that someone on here has been on one and if it worth the extra pain
    Thank you Suzanne

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Suzanne – I attended for 1/2 day a week for 6 weeks and I found it really helpful, and it was good to meet others in the same position as you dealing with chronic pain. It covered a lot of the information in the pain relief section on here. I’m really glad I attended, as they helped you tackle some of your own issues, and make suggestions that you might not have thought of – so tried to help you think differently about various things.
    All the best with making your decision, and if want to ask anything else – ask away! best wishes AnnieD xx

Laura
    Participant

Hi Suzanne,

I understand what you mean about the drive to the pain clinic, I was in the same position but am really glad I went on the 6 week course from which I learnt a lot.

They explained how painkillers work (or not, in my case!) how to pace yourself (a very important skill to learn) and as AnnieD says above, you meet others in the same position and can learn from them. Plus it got me out of the house when I’d become quite isolated and made me understand how much power I could take in managing my pain

Good luck in your decision, you could always give it a couple of goes and see how you feel. Take care. Laura x

Rose
    Participant

Hi Suzanne, I have been on a Pain management course but Not a pain management Programme. And it was not a referral from a pain clinic or GP. It was about approx 18 years ago and I can’t remember how I applied for it but I too had a 45 minute drive to it. And I did wonder sometimes if it was worth going to as I have chronic sitting pain. But I thought nothing ventured, nothing gained. There would be about 15 other people there. We were given a free book about Pain etc. written in American terminology. The good thing at the time was that it got me out of the house. We all went ( from what I remember) for a short day once a week for about 6 weeks. it will be interesting to read other people’s experiences.

Suzanneford45
    Participant

Thank you for your replies I do think it would be good for me and once a week for 6 weeks seems more manageable but this is 4 days a week for 3 weeks only wish I could teleport myself there am sure that would solve lots of our problems !!
    Will definitely have a think about it though thanks again
    Suzanne

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Suzanne – could you make this suggestion to them and ask if they’ve got other sessions where they’re more spread out? As I’m sure not everyone would be able to commit to 4 days a week? Can you get a copy of the programme schedule and see which of the days would be more beneficial to you? As we had people who even struggled to manage 1/2 day so they dropped out. take care & all the best AnnieD

dalhousie
    Participant

I went on a programme in 2013. I was very proactive anyway back then doing pacing, relaxation, Pilates etc. It just enhanced my existing knowledge. I was long distance from the clinic so they had a system where they paid for ppl to be put up in a nearby motel. If you’re 45 mins away they maybe not willing to do that but if you explain the situation they may be willing to accommodate you. You do get to know other ppl like you and it’s reassurring you’re not the only person living like this.

Lc
    Participant

Hi Suzanne, I have done a pain management course through physio, some years ago now. teaches you pacing do some relaxation, visualisation, and helps you understand your pain and different coping strategies ect., and chance to meet others with similar/ or living with pain. I would recommend it as you can learn some useful tools to help you deal and understand your pain. Take care and best wishes and give it a go. Lee

Suzanneford45
    Participant

Hi I do think I want to do it, it is mainly the journey there and back and sorting out my dog they do offer accommodation but it’s in the nurses quarters at the hospital I think I will speak to the pain clinic and see what they can do thanks for all your replies has been helpful
    Suzanne

Lc
    Participant

Hi Suzanne, it does also teach you how to build up the length of time you can sit and walk as well as other activities. it does take time, but helps, as i only used to be able to sit for about 5 mins max now i can sometimes sit for up to half an hour. but must realise you just got to take it as it comes as this does vary as so does your pain. this is where the pacing comes in. Hope you can sort something out as i think it could benefit you as you can learn different approaches to things. the only down side i thought about it unless it was the person teaching it, i found her a bit patronising in certain things,but took out of the time there learning and pushing myself to do a bit more without further raising my pain levels. Take care and best wishes , hope you can sort something out with your dog and accommodation. Lee

Suzanneford45
    Participant

I have done quite a bit of the pacing and other things with the pain clinic all ready for the past 5years am not sure what else they can really help with my problems is my neck and shoulders which is where I find it difficult to drive but think the group sessions would definitely help maybe they will allow me to do some of it I definitely find some of the people teaching can be very patronising they sometimes make you feel like its just in your head but I feel lucky to have been offered this thanks again
    Suzanne

Lc
    Participant

Hi, Teaches you like things pain is a response which forces you to behave and think differently pain is an out put sensory signals and messages to the brain. the brain then interprets the message then an action plan in response to the message.and how the brain is responsible for the messages comming from a particular part of the body and that if the pain resonses are broken we can train/blurr the brain if you have a lot of pain we can train to correct the maps which cause pain and how you respond to it. and to teach you it is ok to exercise even if you have pain sometimes it not doing you any more harm as pain can make you unfit and activities become harder muscles become weaker and joints less flexible basically hurt not harm.and how you can become trapped in a vicious circle. this is just the start. it does get quite into depth. take care and best wishes ,Lee

Suzanneford45
    Participant

All very complicated stuff but makes sense it’s amazing how much we know about nerves and how they work and take everything for granted until things stop working properly sometimes think we should be running the pain clinics !!

Lc
    Participant

I think if all of us on this site got together with all the years experience we could teach the physio’s drs and others more than what some of them know. LOL. I actually got told by a physio once i knew more about pain and how to deal with it than what she knows. i did say and questioned myself what the hell am i doing here then.
    Anyway good luck if you manage to get to do it and take care ,best wishes, Lee

Laura
    Participant

You’re right Lee… that’s why there used to be an expert patient clinic run by the person who had the health problem, bring them back is wot I say!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.