Oxycodone v Oramorph

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Hope
    Participant

I would be grateful for some advice about the above 2 medications.
    I am on oramorph but it isn’t helping my pain much .
    GP has given me 5mg tablets of Losec (oxycodone )
    I’m scared to start the oxycodone because of side effects .
    Anyone on it ? What is your experience ? I’m taking oramorph today
    but GP has said I must stop the oramorph if I start on the oxycodone.

How long can you leave it before starting on oxycodone?
    I’m in agony and really need some advice please.

Thanks

Lc
    Participant

Hi Hope, some one should be along soon to answer your question as I cannot go near the stuff as i have under active thyroid and chronic asthma as with other problems, my Gp and others won’t even go there to prescribe oxycodone. so sorry i have no idea. all i know is there are some unwanted side effects like all drugs and that there is a slow release type and a short release. hope some one can give you the advice and experiences they have had soon take care and best wishes and hope you get your pain under control soon . Lee

Di
    Participant

I’m sure you got the name wrong. Losec is a medicine to reduce acid in your stomach. Did you mean LOngtec? I’ve taken oxycodone for 15 years now with no ill effects at all. The first week or two it did make me drowsy. I was on morphine in hospital when they found i was allergic to it so they swapped it for oxycodone immediately. However i take the short acting type which I believe is now called shortec. It lasts for 4 hours rather than the 12 hours that LOngtec is supposed to last. Pain consultants usually give something for breakthrough pain if the oxycodone wears off. Oxycodone can depress breathing if you take too much so it’s not really good for people who already have breathing problems but I’ve had no problems with it at all except for constipation which all opioids cause. You should ask the pharmacist or your GP how long you have to wait before changing. I can’t imagine there would need to be a gap but I honestly don’t know. Ask the experts.

Hope
    Participant

Thanks Lee , I’m sure someone will give me advice.

Hope
    Participant

Hi Di . Yes I meant Shortec .

Dr didn’t say about switching , just don’t take oramorph as well .

I wanted to try the shortec today but I’ve been taking oramorph
    so Will try to wait until tomorrow .

Good to hear you get on well with it .
    Thanks

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Hope,

If you’re going to take Shortec, it will give you pain relief for the same time as oramorph does. About 4 hours. If it’s Longtec, you’ll be taking it every 12 hours.

I don’t think that the very tiny dose of 5mgs will cause any side effects. If it doesn’t give you any side effects (and give it time!) and you need a stronger dose, have a word with your gp.

Good luck with it.

Hope
    Participant

Hi Annie
    Do you take shortec ? Does it help your pain ,
    What dose do you take and do you get any side effects?

Thanks

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Hope,

Yes, I take 3 x 5mg twice a day when the Longtec runs down too soon. It’s exactly the same drug as Longtec, but it’s short-acting, whilst Longtec is long-acting.

Have you started taking this drug yet?

Hope this helps.

Annie x

Hope
    Participant

Hi Annie
    Yes I did start taking it but the pain relief wasn’t
    anywhere near enough so GP has put me back on oramorph.

I’ve tried Longtec before but the side effects were so bad.

Di
    Participant

That is a very low dose. I started on 5mg 15 or 16 years ago. Your GP may just need to tweak the dosage rather than give up on it. There is a liquid version of shortec which I find better because I can ( with GP Permission) increase the dose by just 1/2 a ml at a time if needs be . I feel I have better control with the quick acting liquid form as I can also reduce it if needs be.

Hope
    Participant

I think I am better off on oramorph as I too tweak the dosage .
    I try to keep to 5ml but have been taking 6ml recently,with doctors permission.. He said I can take 71/2 ml but I want to keep the dosage
    as low as possible as I’m sure I’m going to have to increase it in the future.

Katie
    Participant

Hello, i have chronic pain from fibromyalgia and i used to take oramorph along with gabapentin, it began having no effect against my pain at all so i was put on to oxycodone (shortec) . I take 20mg of shortec 4 times a day alingside 600mg of gabapentin 3 times a day and amitriptyline at night. I am still in pain even though i rattle. Im seeing a nurologist to see if theres something else like MS involved and my tablets dont stop my pain. I hope that you get your meds sorted very soon as there is no fun in still being in pain after you have taken what seems like a bucket of tablets every day.x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.