Oxycodeine

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Hope
    Participant

Hi
    Is anyone taking Oxycodeine or have tried it ?
    Any side effects ? Does it help with the pain ?

Thanks

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Hope,

Do you mean oxycodone hydrochloride? If so, I take it. What dose have you been offered? I do hope it works for you.

Annie x

Hope
    Participant

Hi Annie, Yes I meant oxycodone .I’m not on it yet
    but my GP mentioned me trying it if I can’t get my pain to
    come down on my present medications.

What type of pain do you take it for and how much relief
    Do you get ? Also do you get any side effects ?

Hope x

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Hope,

My pain is mostly arthritic. It’s in my spine and right shoulder.

I’m on quite a high dose of Longtec and Shortec.

It makes me a bit dozy in the evenings. But of course, that might be just me! I do get strange dreams too.

The main side effects are a dry mouth during the night and constipation.

I don’t think that there’s any medication that takes the pain away completely. I’m still in quite a bit of pain and find I have to pace myself and definitely be patient with myself.

Annie x

Di
    Participant

I take it too ; the short acting sort which is a liquid every 4 hours except it never lasts the full 4 hours. WIth the consultant’s permission I Take it every 3 hours. There is a longer acting tablet tat should last for 12 hours then you can occasionally add the liquid as a top up. IT’s a dangerous medication which must be taken as prescribed but as long as you do that it’s fine. I was drowsy for about a week but it quickly wore off. I was given it as I was allergic to morphine. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and nerve pain. It isn’t supposed to work on nerve pain but it does help mine. Over the years your body adjusts to it and the dose has to be increased. IT causes a physical addiction but not a mental addiction so if you lower the dose or need to come off it, it has to be done very slowly so you don’t get withdrawal symptoms. Apart from constipation I have found no nasty side effects at all. It has been severely restricted in America because if its street use. It’s become one of the most popular street drugs. My pain consultant hates it because it’s so hard to come off but it’s the only thing that works for me.

Hope
    Participant

Hi Annie and Di , Thanks for your input.
    I was on shortec capsules, 2 a day , 12 hours apart .
    I was also prescribed codeine 60 mg 4 times a day and oramorph 5ml
    4 times a day. After being on this concoction for a short time I struggled
    to get out of bed . It was helping my nerve pain and other pain .
    Sadly doctor took me off the shortec because of the side effects.

Do you think it would be ok to take the codeine and shortec and leave
    the oramorph off ? What concoctions do you take ?

Thanks

Hope
    Participant

Got the shortec wrong! I was taking longtec .

Di
    Participant

That’s something you really woudl have to discuss with your doctor. No one on here is qualified to advise you. I wouldn’t know if it was even safe to suddenly stop taking oramorph or whether it needs tapering off slowly. I’ve never heard the name shortec or lontec. I assume it’s short or long acting oxycodone.

Hope
    Participant

Thanks Di, I will go back and see my doctor.
    I’d never heard of shortec and longtec until I was prescribed it .
    It did help my nerve pain , so disappointed the side effects were so bad .

anniekat
    Participant

Hi again Hope,

What dose of Longtec and Shortec were you taking? Maybe the dose was too high to begin with? They’re the only drug that help me with my pain. But I think you have to live with a certain amount of pain! Well, I do anyway!

Annie x

Hope
    Participant

Hi Annie
    I was on 5mg longtec twice a day . I was also taking 5ml of oramorph
    4 times a day and codeine 60mg 4 times a day , thinking about it
    It seems a lot , no wonder I could barely stand up !

Think I might ask my doctor if I could try the longtec again
    and leave the oramorph off .

What are you taking ? I’ve lived with pain for 36 years and can can cope
    with some of it but certain pain I have is unbearable.

Di
    Participant

Oh I just looked it up and longtec and shortec are names for oxycodone; slow release and quick release. The shortec must be like what I take but mine’s in liquid form so I have a bit more control over the dose. When I started oxynorm ( oxycodone) I was on 5ml every 4 hours. Longtec is supposed to last for 12 hours so that sounds about right but adding the others does make it sound a lot. They would usually prescribe additional shortec to top up if the lontgtec was wearing off.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Hope,
    I’m taking 100mg x 2 of Longtec a day, so much, much more than you were given.
    If 5mg didn’t work, I would ask to have the dose increased until you get adequate pain relief.
    Do you usually suffer from the side effects of all drugs?
    Annie x

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.