Overwhelmed by clutter

Home Forums General Overwhelmed by clutter

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Di 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Janie
    Participant

Hi, I’m a new member and main issues I’m experiencing are lack of motivation and organisational skills due to being in constant, severe pain with my spine and neck. I’ve tried pacing myself, making lists to prioritise jobs but become more and more depressed when things don’t get done. How do people cope with housework and clutter?

Christine
    Participant

Hello Janie. I feel exactly the same about clutter! One bit of good advice I read was to do some clearing/tidying for 15 minutes, then stop. Or 10 minutes, even.

Would it be possible for you to buy in a bit of help sometimes?

You’ll get some tips from other people, I’m sure.

Janie
    Participant

Hi Christine,
    Unfortunately it’s just me so I’ll have to try my best and stop guilt tripping so much. I’ve started eating more healthily as part of my issues is not looking after myself like I should when I feel overwhelmed with pain. I think the tip you mentioned is very good and I’m going to give it a shot this week.

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Janie – welcome to the forum! I’ve had to learn to live with it, and celebrate small successes along the way… It takes time to get all that stuff, it’ll take some time to let it all go. Set yourself up for success by making a plan and targeting specific areas you’re going to declutter, clean up, and organize over a prolonged period of time. Then stick to it so you don’t tire yourself out. As both time and energy may be short, you tackle it in short bursts. I’d start with something easy, like a drawer or a small cupboard. You need a fast and impressive result for encouragement. As even without pain, it can be a highly frustrating process for anyone anyway! Here’s wishing you lots of luck! best wishes & take care AnnieD

lc
    Participant

Hi Janie, welcome to this site, you have already had good advice. I used to be like that and kept pushing myself to clean ect. but over time you need pace yourself better, and stop before the pain gets worse.It’s not your fault or anybody else’s fault that your like this, be a bit kinder to yourself in a non judgmental way, little at a time with rest in between , all your trying to do is impress yourself ,let go, and if it’s a bit messy ,so what , if other members moan about it just tell them you had to stop because of pain and if it’s bothering them that much ask them to help you clean and finish it off. if they help then great. if not then they will have to learn to stop moaning and live with a bit of mess, I try to clean my house once a week,as this is all I can manage on my own on good days. but sometimes it don’t get done for a month, and when others start moaning about the mess I just say well if you don’t like it you know where the hoover and cleaning stuff is help yourself as i cannot manage it at moment, (9 out of 10 they just walk off and leave it) LOL. a little bit one day at a time without increasing your pain levels to a point nothing gets done. take care and best wishes. Lee

Christine
    Participant

It probably isn’t as bad as you think it is, Janie. My mother had extremely high standards, and was always asking why we didn’t hire a skip and get rid of all the clutter!

Christine

Di
    Participant

I found a lovely local lady needing some extra money who comes for two hours once a fortnight to do the things I really can’t manage like changing the bed, really bottoming the bathroom and kitchen and moving furniture to hoover underneath. £11 an hour. She’s a godsend. Ask around. I also found a lady who will do a basket of ironing for £5.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Di.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.