Oramorph

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hope
    Participant

I’ve been put on oramorph by the hospital,
    recently I had another hospital stay where they increased my
    oramorph. I saw my GP because of the increase I was running out.
    Doctor told me they don’t like me on it and I need to reduce my
    daily intake . The amount I’m taking is only just keeping my pain
    at a more manageable level. Can the GP reduce the oramorph ?
    I don’t know what I’d do if they stopped it.

Anyone else taking oramorph ? What is your daily dosage ?

Thanks for reading.

Sefi
    Participant

Hello Hope

I have been on Oramorph for about 6 weeks, alongside Tramadol and Pregabalin/ Amitriptaline for something most Dr’s haven’t heard of, ‘Slipping Rib Syndrome’.
    Was okay with my dose of 10mg/5ml but was rushed to A&E yesterday and they’ve said to up it to that dose every 2 hours if needed.
    Like you, I don’t want to be on it for long. I’ve been waiting for a consultant for nearly 6 months and I’m now pretty much housebound. Hoping consultant appointment at end of the month gives results.

Doctor should be monitoring dose changes (up or down ) closely to avoid problems.
    I don’t have any other insights but I hope knowing you aren’t alone in this helps.

Di
    Participant

If a hospital consultant has prescribed it it should be on your records and your GP should not be changing it. Try phoning the consultant’s secretary.

Lc
    Participant

Hi Hope, Gp’s do not like us on certain strong pain medication and hate prescribing it, but as you have been to hospital, as Di says a consultant has prescribed it to help you manage your pain levels, and your GP should not be changing it. especially if it ‘s working for you to help with pain. over a period of time they can try to reduce Oramorph to help you come off of it, and see how you cope with pain but if the pain is intolerable should up it again to a level where you manage your pain and can cope. do you practice alternative methods to help you? like some pain management technics or mindfulness, anything to distract your mind and to focus on something else other than pain. I am not patronising you,and your pain is real but sometimes these other methods can help you cope through bad pain times.without being out of your head on medication, but some like mindfulness need to be practised every day and become part of your life to work best. over the years of being in constant pain i have tried and been on alot of strong pain medication but choose not to take it and prefer other methods so when i do need medicating for pain the minimum doses work as your body don’t get used to it and as soon as i can come off of it i do. don’t get me wrong there is medication i take for my pain every day but it’s all at lower doses that i can carry on and cope and over the years have built up a high pain tolerance. ie when in hospital there was a bloke next to me on morphine during my stay i was hitting the button about 3 times a day while the other was hitting his about 10. plus i left before him as i could cope better. Anyway hope you get your worries sorted out and they keep you on what works for you, let us know how you get on take care and best wishes. Lee

spouty
    Participant

hi I’m taking Oramorph for a spinal cord tumour and i haven’t found its any good for the pain it just makes me sleep.spouty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.