Newcomer introduction

Home Forums General Newcomer introduction

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Lc.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DavidA
    Participant

Hi all
    Having just discovered this forum & getting fed up with longstanding, continuous neck pain I thought I’d give it a try.
    A little history: I’ve had worsening neck pain for 10+ years & have pretty much exhausted all supposed remedies & investigations. These include Physiotherapy, Osteopathy, Acupuncture, X-rays, MRI, Deep Massage & a variety of medications, all to little or no avail.
    The only thing I’ve yet to try is a TENS machine.
    For those here that have tried it I wonder if you could advise me.
    What kinds of pain is it suitable for? Should I get my GP’s advice? There’s a range of machines available from relatively cheap to rather expensive – has anyone any recommendations?

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Welcome to our forum David. I’ve written to you separately with details of our website and various pages of interest in managing pain.

I had a whiplash accident many years ago and, like you, tried everything available. I then decided to take things into my own hands and bought a TENs machine. It was a basic machine but these days you can buy more sophisticated devices, but the basic ones do the job OK. Most offer a return of money if the machine doesn’t help, so look out for that.

I also learnt relaxation and breathing methods which most definitely helped. Lessons in the Alexander Technique was also a wonderful help as the focus is partly in keeping your neck free of strain and stress. These days the neck pain has gone, only recurring occasionally if I hold myself for a while in a particular position.

If you do a Forum Search for TENS you will bring up a lot of previous forum entries all about TENS.

Good luck, keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Jan at PainSupport

Lc
    Participant

Hi David, welcome to the site I do occasionally suffer neck pain but mine is mostly in winter when cold, as Jan says there is a lot of info on here to help.
    The TENS I use is from Body Clock Health Care LTD, Libra Tens I have had it for quite a few years now so may be out of date a bit. there is a free phone no. 0500220061 but worth checking out their website: http://www.bodyclock.co.uk or email: customercare@bodyclock.co.uk The one I have was quite expensive but has more different modes and control to suit you best, I found by going onto the different modes every half hour or so, is better so your body doesnt get used to it. but defiantly helps me with break through nerve pain. but it is up to you at the end of the day. take care for now and best wishes, Lee

Laura
    Participant

Hi DavidA,

I wonder if you’ve ever attended a pain clinic? When I used to go some years ago they let me try a TENS machine for free, just to have a go to see if it helped rather than buy one.

Hope you get some help soon.

Lc
    Participant

Hi David, I am the same as what Laura said that’s how I got to try one out.before I brought one. Take care and best wishes. Lee

DavidA
    Participant

Hi
    I was referred to a Pain Clinic just last week but in the current circumstances I don’t expect to get an appointment in the near future.
    However, From what I’ve read about them I’m doubtful they would help with the pain & I can’t wait that long to try a TENS machine.
    There’s a Lloyds Pharmacy one for less than £20 & numerous others between £25 -£40.
    Some offer trials: if they don’t work for you they can be returned.
    So, I guess I’ll just jump in & try one. If it works it’d be an improvement on my current, highly medicated situation.
    Thank you for your comments & suggestions.

Lc
    Participant

Hi David, it doesn’t cure your pain but masks it, which helps you to carry on, personally I would go for the middle of range one. some people find it good like myself others it doesn’t seem to work. it’s a case of getting the pads in the right place so it disguises the pain .Good luck ,let us know how you get on. take care and best wishes, Lee

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.