Nefopam… anyone tried this?

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Nefopam… anyone tried this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

Hi all,

Have heard of this painkiller only recently, it was mentioned on the GP Surgery programme on Channel 5 and wondered if anyone has tried it?

I’ve tried all types of drugs for pain and don’t get any relief with any of them so wondered if this one was worth a try.

Rose
    Participant

Thank you for sharing this Laura, I’m always looking for a new name in pain relief.
    I’ve not tried it but on the BNF website it states it is for moderate pain and gives possible common & very common side effects. Plus uncommon side effects. And may colour urine Pink.

Laura
    Participant

Yes, Rose, I saw the pink pee warning! It would work well with your name !

Rose
    Participant

HaHa, Very funny 😊

PaulT_99
    Participant

NHS Website just says its for moderate pain, so probably not much use to us.

Have you tied Tapentadol ?. I know i mention it alot, but it was a absolute game changer for me. After 15+ yrs of pain, and endless common drug trials.
    Its a tiny tablet, so easy to swallow. More relief than Morphine, but without the side effects.
    Just makes your a “bit” spaced out when it kicks in on full power.

Rose
    Participant

The list of side effects for Tapentadol are I feel too heavy for me. But I have made a note of it to try for when I stop driving..

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Rose. Reason: Inserting Tapentadol
    Hope
    Participant

Hi Paul , Do you have to come off codeine before
    you can start tapentadol ?

Hi Laura, Sorry I don’t know anything about this drug .
    I’m looking for something else too that gives some relief.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Hope,

I think that Tapentadol is an opioid and so is codeine, so I don’t think the two should be mixed, unless under strict medical supervision.

Annie x

PS My tablet wanted to call it ‘tape tadpoles’!

PaulT_99
    Participant

You cannot take another Opiod with Tapentadol, so you would take it on its own as i do.

I drive fine while taking it. Done 230 miles today with no issue.

Marilyn
    Participant

Hiya
    I have never heard of this pain killer. I try not to take them unless I have to as I know I will have to in the future. I have not heard of Tapentadol either. Anniekat I think my computer will say the same as your tablet. Technology!!!!

Laura
    Participant

Hi all,

Well, seems this drug is not known here but am going to ask for it next time I can get an appt at the doctors.

Paul, I wouldn’t risk taking Tapentadol, I’ve had serious problems with opioids before but glad you’re getting such a good benefit. Fingers crossed the SCS will really help you as well.

Lc
    Participant

Hi Laura, Never heard of nefopam, I take it, it,s slightly stronger than paracetamol like the next step up if the others are not working properly. Hi PaulT_99 is tapentadol similar to Tramadol? sounds to me to be similar. or work on a similar basis. to me at the end of the day opoid is opoid as long as it controls the pain without to many side effects that’s what counts. as every one reacts differently to different meds. any way as long as what your taking is working for you both thats what matters. Take care all and best wishes. Lee

PaulT_99
    Participant

Hi LC,

No its certainly not like Tramadol.
    I actually cannot take Tramadol, it makes me dizzy and physically sick.

Tapentadol for me does not have any side effects and is very effective at pain reduction. Better than Oramorph.

Lc
    Participant

Hi PaulT_99 , It was only a guess, as you find quite often that the ending of a word the same as another in drugs is of similar contents that’s what made me think it. anyway sounds as if it’s working for you well, if you find it better than oramorph. which is a bit of a rarity. take care and best wishes . Lee

Clare
    Participant

Hi Laura

I take Nefopam 60mg TDS alongside all my other meds, including Tramadol, Pregabalin snd Oxycodone. It works well for me and can boost you up a little during the day.
    Worst side effect for first few weeks can be tachycardia and anxiety, but everyone is different so you may not experience this.
    In UK they can not now readily prescribe Nefopam unless very good reason. So if you want it, dependent on your GP, you may have a fight on your hands.
    Good luck
    Clare

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.