Morphine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Hope
    Participant

Does anyone take Morphine on prescription ?
    Who prescribed it ? Can my GP give me a prescription for it ?
    The reason that I’m asking is because whilst in A+E I was given some through my drip
    and it took all my pain away !! First time I’ve felt so much pain relief for years !

Hope

Rose
    Participant

Hi Hope, yes, I have been prescribed Morphine in the past by my GP on the lowest dose but it did not help me. Glad it gave you relief.

Mart
    Participant

Hi Hope,

Yes, like Rose, I have also been prescribed morphine. It comes in different forms. Like you, I found in great in hospital. From my GP I had it in liquid and tablet form. However, I found the side effects too much for me so I came off it. Also GP’s are wary about prescribing it as it is addictive. I would say if you have tried everything else to no avail, then its worth considering following discussion with and under the supervision of a good GP.

Hope
    Participant

Hi Rose
    Sorry it didn’t help you. I didn’t think it would help really but it was quick relief.
    Only took a few minutes to start working..
    I’ve never had such relief from my pain for many years.

Hope x

Hope
    Participant

Hi Mart.
    Like you I didn’t like some of the side effects. It made me soooo dizzy for ages.
    Once that wore off it was better but it did last a long time.
    The pain relief was wonderful, I’ve not felt that amount of pain relief with anything before.

Hope.

Mart
    Participant

Hi Hope

Glad to got some relief from it. I have struggled for years to find the right medication for pain relief. I have been through a long list. Presently I am on codeine and amitriptyline. While they have some impact on pain, the side effects are difficult to cope with.

I don’t think there is a great deal of science involved in prescribing medication. Its largely a case of try it and see how it goes. If you decide to go on morphine, I would be interested to see how you get on. Good luck.

Mart

Hope
    Participant

Hj Mart
    I too am on codeine, whwt strength do you take? I’m on 60mg 4 times a day with paracetamol, ,
    it barely touches my pain.
    I can’t tolerate amitryptiline, made me into a zombie.

Hope

Mart
    Participant

Hi Hope

Like you about 60mg 3 to 4 times a day. I try to take as and when rather than all the time due to side effects. I found for me it works better on its own rather than when combined with another drug.

I take amitriptline for a different kind of pain. I found it takes about 2 weeks to get used to it starting in small doses. But when it kicks in, I found it helpful. Also helps me to sleep reasonably well.

Like you I found drugs (and only some) only take the sharp edge from my pains. And of course the side effects can be intolerable.

I believe having spent many years trying to cope with pain that the best solution maybe a holistic approach. By that I mean we need proper assessment and access to a broad range of treatments, drugs being only one of these. I live in South Wales and have been trying to get on a pain clinic course but its likely to be next year before that happens. Is there an NHS pain clinic near you? Have you considered that or are you still trying to find a medication that will work for you?

Hope
    Participant

Hi Mart
    I also have to take oramorph at times as well, it just takes the edge of the pain
    and helps me go to sleep at night.

I’ve been to the pain clinic a few times and sadly they can’t help me.
    Hopefully you might get something out of it, it’s worth a try.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hope.

Eileen Asbury
    Participant

HI Hope,
    Yes my GP puts it on prescription for me [repeat] the lowest dose and she watches me to make sure I’m not taking too much. She also gives me oramorph [for break through pain]
    She called me in for an appointment last week because she thought I might be taking too much of it ……She admitted she expected me to come in and say how sore my shoulder was……just had a total replacement shoulder but it was my legs that were so sore. They were giving way on me and I could hardly stand. When she realised it was legs she has referred me to a few other people

Eileen xx

Hope
    Participant

Hi Eileen
    Can I ask what dose of morphine you take ? In hospital they gave me 6mg
    and I was soooo dizzy and light headed for ages, does it make you dizzy ?

I too have Oramorph but my pain is constant. Hope you find some relief for your legs.

Hope x

Di
    Participant

Yes, given it in hospital then changed because of allergy. Yes it made me dizzy and vaguely sick but it wears off after a few days. Now on oxynorm prescribed by GP but initially by the hospital pain team.

Di
    Participant

All opiates have side effects; all opiates are addictive and all opiates cause constipation. Having said that, the side effects usually wear off after a few weeks when your body gets used to them. The first time I was given morphine for a kidney infection I threw up so badly I had to have anti emetics. The bad side effects tow atch out for are itching all over and difficulty breathing like a tight chest. Those are signs of an allergy. The constipation can be treated and as for addiction- if your pain is chronic and not likely to go away, what does it matter? It’s a physical addiction not a mental one. Talk to your pain consultant rather than your GP although GPs can prescribe it. Just keep the dose as low as you can manage.

Hope
    Participant

Hi Di
    I saw my GP and been told to take the full 4 doses of 60mg of codeine daily
    plus Oramorph in between, can take the Oramorph every 2 hours.

Seemed to help a bit yesterday so keeping my fingers crossed it continues.
    I agree about the addiction, I just want my pain to be manageable.

Di
    Participant

Very wise. If you only take an occasional dose when the pain is bad, not only do the side effects not wear off but you are always playing catch up. My consultant told me in no uncertain terms to take it all the time, even when the pain wasn’t bad, so there’s always a base does in your system keeping the pain down to reasonable levels. You will probably find the morphine doesn’t last as long as they claim it should which is when you will have to top up with the oramorph. I take oxynorm quick acting. It’s supposed to last 4 hours but there’s no way it does so I have been told to take it 3 hourly. I tried taking top up meds but ended up taking far more than if I Just brought the oxynorm closer together but don’t do that without permission.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.