Ill health retirement

Home Forums General Ill health retirement

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lorna5 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Lorna5
    Participant

My work are pushing me to go for ill health retirement I am 56 although I will have a work pension it is no where near enough to live on and I don’t actually want to admit defeat and retire
    I do struggle physically with the pain and work have made several concessions to accommodate me but I still have higher than average sickness absence which they are now saying is not sustainable even if it is disability related, I understand their point of view but financially and mentally retirement would not be good for me even if physically it makes life easier
    Not sure where I go from here I’m guessing if they want me out they will find ways to push even if I say no , occupational health are coming in to work to assess me in a few weeks time I got them to postpone from next week as I felt too rushed, work have clearly stated on the referral that they think I should retire on ill health.
    Anyone else been in this position? How do I handle this? Mentally it’s already having a negative impact on me.

Rose
    Participant

Hi Lorna5, very difficult predicament . So I was wondering if you could cut down on your hours where it might help you, either by starting later, finishing earlier of have a day off in between. I realise you would loose out on some salery this way but it’s could be an option to think about. Many years ago a friend of mine felt under pressure to do this, because fairly frequently on a Friday she was ill with a migraine & couldn’t come into work. So she arranged with her employers to cut her hours down by only working Monday to Thursday. She lost out a bit on her private pension but it did mean she was able to carry on working. Also, Wondered if you are in a union so you could get another opinion from them.

Lorna5
    Participant

Hi Rose
    Thanks for replying
    I’m already working 3 days have been for a while now after occ health visit 4 yrs ago , not sure what else I can do or my work can do either just not ready to give up
    Lorna

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, I used to be electrical /mechanical engineer,and my DR advised me to give up work over 20 years ago, His retired now. because at the rate I was going I would be wheel chair bound by now,I have already dodged it 2 already, even though I’m nearly at that stage now, It was one of the hardest things I ever done, but glad I listened to him as I have managed a reasonable life being disabled and seeing and being able to enjoy my kids grow up, even though I could not do everything with them,without them or my wife pushing me around in a chair. but done more than what I can now. The only thing I miss about work is the banter not the work, but from what I hear from some old work mates you can’t even have banter these days because of discrimination ect ect. getting all to serious you cannot even have a joke or laugh. all very sad. I found it very difficult at first but now I do the things that make me happy Like all different kinds of art I do,and able to do things as and when I am able and can stop when I need to, without any one chasing after me that this needs to be done by so and so and that was supposed to be done yesterday, I don’t miss that sort of pressure. I work for the government, pay is poor but the hours are good, LOL. Financially it to was hard, but you adapt to what your getting. My wife works full time, so basically swapped roles. I’m only 52 Lorna, but at the end of the day the decision is yours of what to do. you just got to work out what is important to you work or your health and wellbeing either way employers don’t really give a monkey your always replaceable. there is no loyalty these days. Take care and best wishes whatever you decide to do. I made that choice as it was what was important to me and turned out my old GP was right. Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Hi Lee
    Everything you say is right but I am the only earner as my husband doesn’t work anymore so money is the big worry I just can’t see a way to make it work but I’m exploring all avenues
    I’m entitled to sick pay 6mths full pay 6mths half if things get really bad will have to use it at least pension will still be paid just not great for employer
    Lorna

Christine
    Participant

Would the CAB be able to advise?

Christine

Lorna5
    Participant

Hi Christine
    I will try the CAB I’ve also been in touch with my union
    Lorna

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Lorna – I can highly recommend ACAS Helpline Adviser – their number is 0300 123 1100. It is available Monday to Friday 8am-6pm. I’ve used them before and they were really very good.

The Acas Helpline provides clear, confidential, independent and impartial advice to both employers and employees who are involved in an employment dispute or are seeking information on employment rights and regulations. The helpline gives advice on good practice procedures to assist callers to resolve issues in the workplace.

The below is from their website –

Can an employee be dismissed as a result of disability related sickness absence?

This will depend on the circumstances of the case. If an employer dismisses an employee because they have a disability, in a situation in which they would not dismiss a comparable non-disabled employee, this could amount to direct disability discrimination.

If the employer dismisses the employee for a reason ‘arising from their disability’ (e.g. high levels of sickness absence) rather than because of the disability itself, this could amount to discrimination arising from a disability, unless the employer can justify the dismissal as a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim.

If the employee has a disability that is affecting their ability to carry out a particular role, the employer has a duty under the Equality Act 2010 to put into place reasonable adjustments to prevent the employee being put at a disadvantage because of their disability. However, if they are unable to carry out their job even once reasonable adjustments are made, and there are no alternative roles available that would be suitable, it may still be fair to dismiss a disabled employee on capability grounds.

Guidance on avoiding disability discrimination in the workplace is available on the Acas website.

Employees and employers in such situations may benefit from taking legal advice. They may also wish to contact the Acas Helpline to discuss options further and/or assistance that Acas can provide in helping the parties to resolve the issue.

Lorna5
    Participant

Thank you Annie
    Some really useful information I will look into this
    Lorna

AnnieD
    Participant

Lorna – all the very best! Let us know how you get on, as I think at some point I’m going to have to consider very similar options too – take care & best wishes AnnieD

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, I was going to mention that also and forgot, I totally agree with AnnieD, you should contact them, they will be able to assist you on what your options are, legally, All the best wishes,take care, Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

HI ALL
    Occ health appointment now 22.11.18 as I refused the earlier one. So tired and sore today been struggling to walk all week, actually wishing I could retire just cant see how I can manage financially but also cant see how I can manage physically or mentally
    Want to cry but at work

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna5, have you tried CBT that can help you physically and mentally by helping the way you think about your pain and other issues and can address the overall picture of your problem into a more positive outlook on things . it is difficult I know but there is a lot of help out there to help stop you going round in circles.Pain has a big impact on the way you behave and think. Glad to hear you have a occ. health appointment at the moment I’m on waiting list for an OT assessment as over the last couple of years I have been struggling more at Home. try and stay positive and if you feel like you need help mentally and physically get it.Sounds like your getting quite stressed over it all, which can have an impact on your pain levels, Take care for now and best wishes ,Lee

Marilyn
    Participant

Hiya Laura
    I had a similar situation but not as bad as yours. I had to give up my part-time work because of my disability although it was not officially diagnosed. I was very depressed about this and went to several NHS councellors to give me hope. They all told me that I could work and that there was no reason for not doing so. In fact with one I found that I know more about him than he did about me.
    Anyway to cut a long story short which lasted about 4 years I phoned the Job Centre about a job and he told me that because of my disability I was unemployable. I just burst into tears. Poor bloke apologised but I told him that now at last I know why I couldn’t find a job and thanked him for being honest. I think it is good to know the truth of things rather than being led to believe something that is untrue. I would love to go out to work.
    You want to keep your job which is great and I wish you all the luck in doing so. Surely your boss has to make provision for you.
    All the best. Marilyn

Lorna5
    Participant

Thanks Marilyn not sure how this will all end up I’m struggling to work but need the money
    Really appreciate all the support on here
    Lorna

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.