Holidays

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Laura
    Participant

For the first time I’m dreading going away. I’ve always had to plan well to limit extra pain etc while away from home but this year I just don’t really want to go because it means I’ll be walking too much and with back, legs and feet giving me trouble I can’t see myself enjoying it much. We’re only going to a hotel for 3 nights but it all feels too much. Anyone feel like this?

rdolly
    Participant

I know how this can ruin even a few days away, the thought of even the slightest increase of pain can be soul destroying. By chance I bought some patches from the chemist, now I’ve had everything from paracetamol to morphine so nothing to lose. Well although they didn’t take the pain away they took the edge off my pain and enabled me to have a few days away with my husband, the patches are called Salonpas and my pain management nurse said they have an analgesic and menthol mix so could help and she was right. I have a spinal cord stenosis so as well as the crippling back pain I have permanent sciatica. They’re not a miracle cure but for £7.50p for 5 there’s not a lot to lose and anything is worth a try. Hope you get to go away and enjoy a change of scenery.

Hope
    Participant

I feel exactly the same. It’s my 40th wedding anniversary this year
    and hubby would like to go away just for 3 nights but I’m dreading it!
    The amount of medications I have to take with me is ridiculous.
    I keep saying I can’t find anywhere I’d like to go!!
    It’s silly but sad because I have terrible back pain sleeping in
    Any other bed which makes me grumpy for the rest of the day .

I can’t sit long in the car so restricted there . .
    Sorry you have the same problem, it’s very depressing.

Could I just say please do your research before trying other pain meds
    from the chemist . I looked at the pain patches but they would have
    clashed with my pain meds from the doctors .

Rose
    Participant

Hi Laura, I fully see what you are saying and feel, but it will be a change of scene. If it was me, I’d forget the walking and stay in the Hotel, either in your bedroom or in the hotel lounge. Hopefully there’s a garden to look out on to or a street scene. Recently we went on a small cruise and I spent a lot of the time apart from meals in our cabin with my feet up. After departing from Southampton, we stopped at Falmouth but we didn’t venture ashore because I knew there would be too much walking from where the shuttle bus would drop us off and to where the shops were. We also cancelled a trip at another calling in place for same reason. But I still enjoyed my time away.. No meals to plan etc. And different scenery to live in for a few days. Of course, I take my memory mattress topper with me and my 3 Tempur memory foam seat cushions with me, with their attractive covers on them ( always get comments on them!) and my pills. OH still annoys me by saying things like do you need all 3 cushions and do you still need your memory topper for the last night? I somehow manage to keep calm and say yes, I can’t lie down or attempt sleep without it. I don’t know why he thinks I can manage without it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Rose. Reason: Add on
    Rose
    Participant

Thank you for the tip on the pain patches rdolly, I’ve written the name down and will look them up in book & online. I’m very limited on what I can tolerate so always good to hear of something different to try. Via pharmacy.

Hope
    Participant

Hi Laura The only possibility for me is self catering
    as I have food issues . I am looking at a lovely log cabin
    with views over a beautiful lake . This way I needn’t go out
    but it’s so relaxing watching the boats go by and seeing the men
    fishing . I love the ducks !! Ha ha .
    Maybe a solution for you if you could find a nice view ?

Laura
    Participant

Thanks for all the thoughts & ideas. I’ll look at the pain patches tomorrow, rdolly, as I have nothing at all to help with the pain. Even amitryptilene is letting me down sleep-wise as the pain is too bad.

These 3 days away are packed with stuff (booked last year) including family visiting. We’re going by train as I can’t sit in a car for hours. I keep trying to get my OH to understand how bad I’m feeling but he doesn’t really get it although is an excellent support most of the time. I’ll just have to make more time for my pain.

Rose, the cruise holiday is the best type for me. Never had a problem with the beds either and you can book to go places by coach or under your own steam. OH doesn’t want to go though.

I find it all rather depressing, like you, Hope, and I do wonder for the future and how I’ll manage as I’m getting older.x

Lc
    Participant

Hi Laura, the way I look at it is this, I’m getting out of 4 walls for a while, I take whatever i need to make me as comfortable as i can. walking aids pills ect cushions and such like and just focus on having the best time I can. and deal with the pain and do whatever it takes to minimise it, whether i need to stop sit down in cafe ect. or find a nice place to lie down for a while like the beach or grass area and ignore what people think and focus on yourself and enjoy your surroundings and nature and people watch,LOL, especially now we have nice weather. personally I’m better in a car as we can stop whenever i need to to get out. I know what your experiencing but I live day to day ,moment by moment. I very rarely look back and i don’t look forward in life as I know roughly what its going to be in the back of my mind. and thinking about it is depressing. I have a good relationship with my wife and she tries to make it as best as possible for me. like yesterday spent an afternoon and evening on the beach, suffering a bit this morning but it was worth it as i had a reasonably good time despite the pain i was in. Don’t let the pain beat you and ruin what quality of life we do have. focus on what we can do by whatever means it takes and whatever we need to make it happen. sounds like you need to go back to GP/pain clinic to see what they can do to help you sleep better as this is important i think, to sleep so you can deal with the day ahead better. for know just go ahead and think what a nice time your going to have and stop worrying how your going to cope deal with that as and when you need to moment by moment. Have a nice time, take care and best wishes ,Lee

rdolly
    Participant

Where else would we get this sort of feedback, I suppose we’re all in the same or similar boat so can talk with some knowledge but it is amazing. My pain management nurse checked the patches for me and made sure they were ok so maybe you could ask about them. I really hope you get some relief Laura and a change of scenery can work wonders.
    Take care and let us know how things go.
    Ann (rdolly)

Laura
    Participant

Lee, I am well prepared when I go away but the overall level of pain is so bad at the moment I don’t even want to try going. Although I probably will force myself in the end as don’t want to let anyone down. I rarely look to the future but want to be prepared so am introducing the idea of a bungalow to my husband, the drip drip effect! I’ve coped with bad back pain for many years only to be made much worse by surgery and am usually pretty positive but it’s a combination of pain that’s doing me in right now.

Re pain clinics…. the first one I went to was when I’d had bad back pain for about 12 years or so. The doctor lifted my legs up and down and said he couldn’t help, just told me to try a TENS.

The second was in a well-known hospital in London, only offered me a trial of a spinal cord stimulator and when I didn’t like it during the trial period they just signed me off back to my GP. The doctor told me none of the drugs I’d already tried would have any effect on my pain levels and he was right unfortunately.

I must be one of those people for whom meds don’t work. When I had kidney problems the doctors were surprised when tramadol and morphine didn’t help.

Thanks all.

Lc
    Participant

Hi Laura, I do understand you, as i get like that at times when pain is bad, the worse pain for me is nerve pain which at times can be very intense , that’s why i use a lot of distraction coping methods along with a Tens it helps me distract my mind from the pain with the pulsating buzzing feeling which i alternate the pulse setting to a different mode every half hour so it is constantly changing so my pain and mind doesn’t get used to it it doesn’t always kill the pain but helps distract my mind from it..when i go away I always make sure I’m on ground level no stairs at all in the room.A bungalow is great.constant pain does have this nasty effect on your mind that it makes you feel as though,and stops you from doing things. this is where I am a bit bloody and strong minded not to let it take hold of me. it can at times be very draining to beat the feeling and is one of the hardest things to do. I have over the years tried many drugs ,even the ones i am on now at times seem as though they don’t always work for me. but these are the most effective on me and can take without sending me stupid or comatose d.. as you know what works for one doesn’t always work for another.I have not always been like this, it is only since i done a year of CBT then straight into mindfulness along with bits of other things I have learnt along the way.and practice mindfulness every day. it does get easier.any way I hope you can find a way to take up this good opportunity of getting out for a few days away and can lower your pain levels a bit. Best wishes and take care,Lee

Lc
    Participant

Laura, Forgot to mention i dont think there is any drug that totally kills the pain we are in, it just dulls it a bit so we can function at times.this is where i went wrong for many years trying to find something to totally kill the pain. the hardest part is excepting this is how i am and how i deal with it on a daily basis.you will find a way to get through it all, as this is human nature to survive. It is all about your state of mind. well this is how i look at it all. take care Laura and best wishes, Lee

Rose
    Participant

Hi Laura, My OH has never understood but he can be supportive some of the time around the house. I’ve been trying the drip drip technique for moving to a bungalow for many years which not only hasn’t worked but we had a big argument about it. I still live in hope that one day it will happen. Think I did the drip drip technique on the cruise situation and that did work. So we have now been on 2 short cruises 🚢 I wish you luck with that one and perhaps when it’s your choice next year for a holiday. A mini cruise ? Maybe. We chose a higher price room to maximise the chance of enjoying the cruise. Visiting family unless close family who understand your situation, well I can see your points. Try hard to be firm about your needs. It’s very hard but sometimes things need to be said. Any chance some of them could come to the Hotel instead of you turning out to visit them ? I’ve tried various drugs over the years, all cause extra problems/ don’t work. Except the basics and one I sometimes take to help get me to sleep. Train journeys can be good, I’ve done the walking bit ( any excuse to go to the buffet carriage) just so I move around or take a walk to see out of a diff window. I prefer the older trains for that. I’m not keen on those modern loos as I worry I won’t be able to get out of them! Silly I know. Enjoy the best parts of the holiday, I’m sure you will find some. I can honestly say I’m getting better at that, learning to enjoy the moments. Look forward to hearing how your trip goes postcard style ! Best wishes Rose

Laura
    Participant

Hi Rose, Lee and others,

Well, just back and still alive and functioning! Managed to use taxis a lot more than we normally do, and buses of course, the old bus pass came in very handy. Rose, like you I prefer the train as you can get up and down as suits you but the seat was terrible on the way home and it gave me dreadful pain but got through it. Managed to sleep pretty well too as mostly I was exhausted! Very glad to be home though!

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Well done Laura! Terrific news. So glad you made it and coped with it all better than you expected. I bet you’ll sleep well tonight! Where next I wonder…
    Jan at PainSupport

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.