Has anyone had cataract surgery

Home Forums General Has anyone had cataract surgery

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Raphael 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

My husband is having this done four days before a funeral which is about a two hour drive away. Initially he said he wouldn’t be able to drive, and in fact I’m sure the hospital has said no driving until they say it’s ok. We looked at the train timetable, and it’s a long (over three hours) and complex journey with two changes and very little time between connections, so a lot of scope for things to go wrong if any of the trains should be delayed. He then said he would be ok to drive. I’m a non-driver (failed three tests) and our son doesn’t drive either.
    Yesterday he said that if he couldn’t go then our son would have to go with me by train. I have no mobility problems, but I am in some pain, and could not face the train journey alone.
    I haven’t told my sister (it’s her husband’s funeral) any of this, so perhaps I should, but she’s got enough to think about. I haven’t told my husband how I feel either.
    Can anyone offer advice on any aspect of this?

Christine

Rose
    Participant

Hello Chritine, a very difficult predicament . A friend of mine had a cataract operation fairly recently and I’m pretty sure he was not allowed to drive for at least a week. I’m seeing him tomorrow so will check with him. About the trains. I feel pain in itself is enough for you to go for Assisted travel with the train company you book your tickets with and at same time make sure you reserve seats where available, the train company person will take you to your reserved seat time permitting or find you a seat if no reserves are available. You must however give them at least 24 hours notice. It is well worth it. When I first started using Assisted travel it was for pain and help with my mini luggage. If you ask for assisted travel, there will be someone to take you to each train, meet you off each train to take you to next train, sometimes via buggy or wheel chair.or just walk with you. You might like to consider starting out earlier for a different schedules of trains. My meaning being don’t go with the connections they tell you so allowing longer , although I realise that may not be possible. And . Yes a longer time hanging about but less worry about connections. I used to do this. I’ve even got trains in the wrong direction 1st in order to get a better journey for the main part later. Don’t do much rail journeys these days but I have renewed my railcard so who knows . Ps. Any chance you could go down the day before by train, to make it less stressful.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Rose. Reason: Add on a ps

Raphael
    Participant

My wife has just had two cataracts done. Your husband will not be able to drive until a few weeks after the operation and he has had his vision checked.
    Depending on what surgery is done i.e. what lens is put in he may still need to wear glasses.
    Make alternative arrangements to travel by train as has been suggested.

Christine
    Participant

I was sure he wouldn’t be able to drive. The surgery was scheduled for today, but the hospital put it back ten days.

I mentioned going up the day before but he didn’t take to the idea. I’m going to let my nephew know what the situation is, just so that they’re aware, and I’m hoping that my husband will be ok to take the train. With reserved seats – we had to stand all the way to London recently, which was no joke!

I wondered about taking a taxi for the last leg of the journey, but by car it takes about as long as the slow, stopping everywhere local train, 35 minutes or so. We have two weeeks to sort something out.

Thanks for the input.

Christine

Raphael
    Participant

Even with booked seats, it does not always work. We took a trip two months ago and got on to find no seats had been reserved on the train. GWR Truro to Taunton.
    I would not do a long trip like that the day before I had cataracts done. I know it is a small procedure these days, but you want to be fit and well hydrated and not overtired the day you have your operation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.