DOES GLUTEN MAKE YOUR PAIN WORSE…(?)

Home Forums General DOES GLUTEN MAKE YOUR PAIN WORSE…(?)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rose 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Helen H
    Participant

HI
    I am an ME sufferer as well as having constant pain- neuropathic, muscular and joint, and other chronic conditions.
    After 3 years of not having Gluten,I am going through the Gluten Challenge prior to having the blood test for Coeliac Disease. This means I have to eat Gluten for 2 meals daily for 6 weeks prior to the test.
    I am nearly 4 weeks in, and amongst other symptoms I am getting ‘breakthrough pain, and pain is harder to control and more widespread than ‘normal.’

I am interested to know how many on this forum have found going Gluten Free to be helpful for pain??

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by  Helen H. Reason: clarity
    • This topic was modified 3 months ago by  Helen H.

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Helen

That’s really interesting, and I’d be keen to learn how you get on! However I’ve not tried a gluten free diet, but I am very much a big believer in gut health – as some people even refer to the gut as the “second brain,” because of its high importance and influence on the rest of your bodily functions.

I know wheat and gluten aren’t the same thing, as my sis lives in the US and told me about a host of US books – Wheat Belly and Grain Brain; No Grain, No Pain – whereby they’ve helped people with chronic pain. I’ve read some of the reviews on Amazon, but it’s really great to learn that there are drug free alternative options out there.

All the best with this, take care & best wishes AnnieD

Helen H
    Participant

Hi AnnieD

I have always been really sceptical that Gluten could be such a problem for me. I agree that the gut is really important in our overall health and wellbeing. I certainly never thought about it when I was younger…but now I am wondering. I had a very high metabolism when I was a young woman and ate LOADS of carbs.Averagely I eat fewer carbs and more protein, now I’m middle aged.

Some of the worst aspects of the Gluten challenge is my mental health, and brain fog being much worse, so it could be that the pain is not actually worse, but that I am coping poorly with it.

Will keep you posted
    Take care
    Helen

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, my neighbor is coeliac and she has a gluten free diet and has helped her a lot with pain, she only gets pain bad when she has accidentally eaten something with gluten in it. so for her it helps a lot to have a gluten free diet. her downfall is bread. nearly there for your tests, Good luck with it all ,take care and best wishes. Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Thanks Lee- just a few more weeks to go, and I can’t wait! I have made my husband promise to remind me of this time if I ever feel tempted to eat Gluten again.

Take care
    Helen

dalhousie
    Participant

Can anybody recommend a GOOD gluten free bread as when I’ve tried to go gluten free I can never find a bread that’s acceptable. I wouldn’t mind giving it a try to see if it helps my nerve and mechanical back pain.

Helen H
    Participant

HI
    the one I think is the best is Schar Wholesome Vitality Bread which is like wholemeal. It is super high in fibre, and isn’t glued together with sugar as many GF bread’s are.
    We get ours from Tescos.

I have found most GF breads are like plastic white bread and contain a lot of sugars, but this brand is very good.

Rose
    Participant

M&S GF seeded sliced bread eaten as it is, or very lightly toasted. The best I have come across. I’d looked at it several times on the shelf, but found out how nice it was when it was served up to me in a cafe & I asked the proprietor what brand it was. Since then, I always buy it when reduced & freeze it. It’s a light brown colour. I can recommend certain cakes too !
    I Went GF a few months ago. Think I may have a leaky gut.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.