Getting the best from a tens machine

Home Forums General Getting the best from a tens machine

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Lc.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kingrollo
    Participant

Got a tens machine coming today or tomorrow – wondered how people get the most out of these devices.

I have read that some people keep them on all day – where as others treat as the equivalent of going for a massage and do 20 or 30 minute sessions.

its the techare 24 which has lots of different modes – kneading, cupping, reflexolgy etc…

Pain is in lower back – susp facet joint arthritis

Christine
    Participant

I use it for shorter periods, partly because of the fear thet if I went out with it attached, it would fall off and break!

Haven’t heard of the kind you mention, but it sounds very high tech.

Lc
    Participant

Hi kingrollo, I use a tens for break through nerve pain, my Tens is a Libra Tens, I tend to use it all day and alternate between the 3 modes every hour with pulse width of around 150 and 200 and pulse rate of 50 and keep alternating the different modes so my body doesn’t get used to one mode, it doesn’t take the pain away, it masks the nerve pain quite well so i can carry on.
    I would just play around with it to see what modes suit you best. But do not wear it to sleep in as i did once and ripped the wires out of the self adhesive pads or drive with it on could be quite dangerous so turn it off while doing this.
    Hope it works well for you. take care and best wishes, Lee

kingrollo
    Participant

It was only £30 from amazon. Had 3 30 minute sessions with it yesterday – the first 2 seemed to make the pain worse – the last one better – reduced pain today but facet pain is so unpredictable ! its another tool in my armour I suppose.

Lc
    Participant

Hi Kingrollo, I only use mine when pain gets a bit to much for me and need a break from it , better than doping up on even stronger painkillers ect, that’s the trouble with this sort of pain it is unpredictable and varies from day to day, keep playing around with it and it could help like it does me, nothing wrong in wearing it all day though. it’s what suits you and works for you. take care and best wishes, Lee

Helen H
    Participant

HI Kingrollo- I don’t know this particular model, but I do use a TENS machine for my lower back problems. I have a lot of nerve pain, and am particularly sensitive to almost everything, so I suggest you try low and slow to start- low level and for shorter time. It is very easy to have it up too high, get involved in others things and not realise you need a break from it.

I put mine in a cross body bag or bum-bag which makes it less likely to fall off ( it did fall off when I hooked it to my waistband). Always carry spare battery and pads. The pads are much cheaper from ebay than any others I have found.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Helen

kingrollo
    Participant

OK – just a bit of context before I provide an update. My problems are tiny in comparable to many on here – I am always mobile – my pain doesn’t go down my legs – and in general 4 co cocadamol gets me pain free.

I am a keen cyclist and gym goer – but at 56 now worry that these activities may do me more harm than good. It keeps my weight down and helps with my depression anxiety issues.

Anyway back to the tens machine – I did my 3rd session with the tens machine on monday eve – then went to the first pilates class of the new year – Next morning pain gone – here on thursday still pain free

Lc
    Participant

Hi Kingrollo, Excellent news, even when in constant pain like many on here are, it is still important to keep some level of activity up as best you can, just keep it up as best you can, I would not have thought you are doing any more damage as long as you go steady and don’t over do it and any sign of pain or discomfort stop, and leave it for a day, only you know your own body and how far you can push it, listen and feel the signs of any pain or niggles, then after a day or so rest build up your level of fitness again, it’s about pacing yourself not pushing through the pain barrier especially if you have been told you have facet joint /arthritis problems. hope this helps, over time it probably will get worse with age anyway but until then keep going, I used to reasonably fit but over the years the only exercises i found i can do are gentle stretching on land but in water swim with not to much of a problem so far, other than that i’m pretty incapacitated and use crutches and wheelchair for longer periods, but I had fractured/dislocated pelvis and 2 spine ops with nerve pain/damage, arthritis, and SI Joint problems and chronic degenerative pain.
    Take care and best wishes, Lee

kingrollo
    Participant

The problem is you (I) Get an andrelin buzz cycling this hides the pain- plus the fact that cycling hurts ! – when you’ve done 60 miles – and you have a 16% hill to get over – you hurt all over !

Its not until a couple of hours post ride than any pain caused by the facet joints kicks in…

Lc
    Participant

Hi Kingrollo, at the end of the day it’s up to you what you do and the advice i gave was my experience, you probably be better asking a physio or Gp that has your detailed medical side of things, to see if what your doing is doing more or no more damage, and go from there. i understand what your saying but the pain should settle after a few hours ,if not and your getting more pain from flare ups of facet joint pain then you may be causing more of a problem for yourself and bringing problems on sooner than if you took it a bit easier, but like i just said the best thing is to see your physio or GP and ask them. any way take care and best wishes,Lee

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.