Gallbladder Removed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Hope
    Participant

I had my gallbladder removed on Saturday. I have 4 incisions and the top one
    and my belly button one are the worst . When im in bed I can’t raise myself higher
    because of the pain. I’ve got a cough and OMG the pain on coughing is awful, feels like
    I’m being ripped apart.
    So another problem to add to my long list, it’s been all hositals and doctors for a few years.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Hope,

Bet you’re glad it’s over!

How long were you in hospital? Or are you back home now?

Do keep us posted, then I’ll know what to expect!

Hope you have a quick recovery.

I haven’t got a date for my op. I think it’s going to be tricky, as I may be having an ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit removed at the same time! Great. I’ll be empty!

Annie x

Genevieve
    Participant

Hi Hope. I had my gallbladder removed nine years ago and gradually recovered over about six weeks. When you cough, it’s a good idea to hold a pillow, or something like that, over the wound area, which gives some support. Take it steady and allow yourself to heal. With keyhole surgery, it’s easy to forget that, although things may have healed on the outside, you still have to heal completely inside.

Hope you’re soon feeling better. Take care.

Hope
    Participant

Hi Annie
    I am glad it’s over. I’ll just be glad when the pain eases !!
    Because I have multiple health issues I was kept in overnight and left the next day after lunch.

Let me know when you get your date. It’s not too bad, it’s just the recovery that takes a while.

Hope x

Hope
    Participant

Hi Genevieve.
    I have been using a pillow when I cough but my bellybutton is so painful it doesn’t help much.

Did you make a full recovery? Have all your symptoms gone? Can you eat normally now. ?
    How long did it take to all resolve ? Sorry for all the questions !

Hope x

Genevieve
    Participant

Hi again Hope. Yes, I made a full recovery and have had no further symptoms. Before I had it removed, my gallbladder was infected, as was my bile duct, so you can imagine how pleased I was to have the operation. I do watch what I eat still, though and try to steer clear of fatty, greasy things. However, this is more because I have IBS than anything else.

It’s nine years ago, but, from what I remember it took about six weeks before I really felt totally back to normal., but, as I said, I think it took me a while because of the infection. However, my husband had his removed last year and recovered in two to three weeks. He still had to watch what he was doing – no heavy lifting, etc. – but he felt fine in himself.

Just take it sensibly and look after yourself – listen to your body. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Take care. x

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Genevieve.
    Hope
    Participant

Hi again Genevieve
    I now have developed an infection in my bellybutton site, I knew this pain wasn’t right! !
    I’m on strong painkillers so hopefully it will clear soon.
    Glad you made a full recovery, I pray that I do too.

I’m taking it easy!

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Hope,

I’m still waiting to have my gallbladder removed and a hysterectomy both during the same op. Apparently it won’t be until after April though.

How’re you feeling now? I’m hoping you’ve recovered completely now. Do you feel better without your gallbladder? Can you go back to a ‘normal’ diet now? I can’t wait to have my first piece of cheese for a year!

I do hope you have a healthier 2018.

Annie x

Hope
    Participant

Hi Annie, it’s been 8 weeks since my op, I do feel slightly better
    but from time to time I’m still getting pains where my gallbladder
    used to be ! Still not eating much. I can’t have cheese, I have IBS too
    so don’t know if it’s that but I could eat a little cheese before the op .

My diet is very restricted still, some days I wish I hadn’t had it out !
    Good luck with your surgery and let me know how you get on.

anniekat
    Participant

Thanks Hope!

Yes, I’ll keep you posted.

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better. It must be difficult to sort out which pain is which when you’ve got IBS as well.

As I don’t have any gallbladder symptoms at the moment, I’m not feeling too bad about the long wait, except that it means I’ll have to spend my recovery time lying out in the sun! What a hardship, eh?!

I hope you have a pain -less 2018.

Annie x

Koudez
    Participant

Hi I had my gallbladder removed in 2007, I wasn’t told to change my diet and as a result suffered severe diarrhea for 7 years after and lost loads of weight I since found out that it’s a common thing after gallbladder removal and you should have a low fat diet as foods high in fat cause the diarrhea because of the excess salts in the bile and not having a gallbladder to distribute it slowly..Also we are still at risk of getting stones in the bile duct and have a higher risk of pancreatitis.. But I’m glad I now know how to manage my diet and if I want to eat something fatty I know to take immodium prior to eating to avoid that issue

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.