Gabapentin

Home Forums General Gabapentin

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Astra 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Lorna5
    Participant

Just wondering what success others have had with this and what dosage

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna5, sorry I have tried this drug and had adverse reactions to it, so I dont touch it.I had the same with Lyrica, the only nerve drug that suits me is amitryptiline. Hopefully some one will be able to help you better that has taken it , I do know some one that has been taking it for years and swears it’s the best thing out. but as you know what suits one, doesn’t always agree with someone else. just try it to what your GP suggests, and I hope it works well for you to lower the pain. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Lorna5
    it seems to one of those drugs that works really well for some, but the side effects can be full-on, so hopefully your GP will start you on a low dose.
    I haven’t been able to tolerate Gabapentin or Pregabalin- both gave me serious side effects, Amiltriptyline has been really helpful in terms of slee.

Take care
    Helen

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Helen H.

Lorna5
    Participant

Hi
    I’m up to 600mg 3 times a day next step 900mg 3 times a day no benefits so far and no side effects either. If it doesn’t help have to earn myself off it and try pre gablin. I had amytrytiline low dose with no improvement what dosage are you all taking?
    Lorna

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna5, I’m on 40mg amitryptiline. It takes the edge off the nerve pain but still get it occasionally mainly in evening, but it has stopped my legs jumping and twitching all night and I sleep all night. where as before i wasn’t sleeping and in a lot of pain.keeping my wife up as well so she sleeps better. still need my Tens now and again to cope but mainly a lot better than I was. but like i said it is the only one i can take and tolerate without having adverse reactions to. take care and best wishes. Lee

anniekat
    Participant

Hi All,

What is the usual dose of amitriptyline do people take for a) sleeplessness and b) nerve pain relief?

I’ve only just started taking amitriptyline and I’m taking 50mg at night.

Annie x

smithdd
    Participant

Hi Lorna
    Been taking 3600 mgs daily helps me with my nerve pain also fibromyalgia
    it works for some just see how you are if you decide to try something new
    be careful not to cut it out to soon. I have no side affects.

good Luck
    smithdd

Lorna5
    Participant

Thanks all gp says the maximum is 2700mg a day I’m now at 1800mg with no positive effects so not very hopeful

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, I was told by physio, GP and a pharmacist, that lower doses daily of amitriptyline work better for nerve pain. Anything upto 50-60 mg anything above that would not be beneficial for nerve pain and if you don’t feel any difference then it’s no good and wont work for you . anything above 50-60 mg that is for depression only which start at about 100- 150mg and above .just what I was told by these 3 people. take care and best wishes. Lee

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Hi Annie

I think you will get more replies if you make a separate thread for Amitriptylene.

Jan at PainSupport

anniekat
    Participant

Thanks for that info, Lee, that’s what I needed to know!

Annie x

lc
    Participant

Hi Annie was ment to put your name not Lorna as she was talking about gabapentin wires crossed LOL. take care and best wishes. Lee

jani
    Participant

Hi,my name is Jan and I have been taking Gabapentin 900mg of this drug since my back surgery on 09/21/2018. My third surgery on my back over 30 years. Last surgery they put in a cage and instrumentation at L/4. They decompressed the facets joints at four levels. . In other words for those who aren’t familiar with the word decompressed. Doctor drills open the facets joints to allow for nerves to find new pathways. I take 750 mg (muscle relaxant). Methacabanol I do not use both together. I do use Vicodin (750mg) as needed. All in all I am feeling good waiting for the release to go to rehab. I have nerve pain on the left side which keeps me uncomfortable. My walker and a cane keep me fairly stable. I would very muchlike to give up the walker but in the AM I am very unstable. Does anyone have similar nerve pain after surgery?

Ellie
    Participant

Hey,

I’m a tad late to this conversation but I am currently on gabapentin. I am on 200mg morning 100mg afternoon and 200mg evening. I have root nerve damage due to compression from the discs on the other side bulging. This happened beginning of the year and have tried naproxen, tramadol, codeine and paracetamol but nothing helped. I have to say that the side effects I’m getting of the gabapentin out weight the benefits. I was in constant pain now it has dulled it down a lot. I am upping the dose slowly and will be on 900mg daily buy the end. Side effects I get are sickness, lose my appetite, dizzy, headaches, can’t sleep and become very tired when I first take them or upping the dose. But still this is the first drug I’ve taken that has helped. Just need to find something for the back pain! Hope this has helped!
    Ellie

Astra
    Participant

Hi Lorna

Gabapentin didn’t work for me at all. The only thing it did was make me pile on weight. Same with pregabalin.

I think it’s just a case of trial and error until you find what works best for you.

Good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.