Flare up

Home Forums General Flare up

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ellie 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Lorna5
    Participant

I’ve over done it at Christmas just by standing too much peeling veg and unloading the dishwasher been up since 3am in loads of pain everywhere back,legs,feet, hands, neck, head, knees can’t think of anything that doesn’t hurt going to Essex Sunday for a few days at our sons 2 hours in the car really don’t want to miss the visit.
    Don’t know what to do with myself any suggestions welcome taken my pain meds but no naproxen as chemists have run out trying ibuprofen hot water bottles wheat bags you name it
    Just can’t find anything to stop the pain

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, Oh dear, I done the same the friday before christmas collapsed and was on the floor all i was doing was washing up. spent all day saturday in bed ,then sunday managed to get up and wife said. I don’t want you doing anything just get yourself better, Luckily I do have an understanding family. so have done nothing except get up and go to toilet. my kids came round and helped out with everything else, personally I find it is a knife edge between resting and slowly getting up and about with pain meds and anything you know that helps you lesson the pain. luckily I have a couple of boxes of naproxen so I have not yet been told that pharmacy cannot get them. but I find that getting up and about helps, even when in excruciating pain, keep moving so you don,t get stiff, as i find this increases pain even more when you get stiff and try to move. even when I was in bed I kept moving and doing gentle exercise on my back and legs ect. hurts like hell but it does help you recover quicker. I’m still not quite my normal as yet, but slowly getting there. just ask your family to help you out while you get yourself a bit better , if they don’t then just say well if you don’t help, you’ll have to find yourself and do your own dinner, lunch ect. I’m sure they will soon get the message. every one has there own different ways of coping and dealing with flare ups, it’s a case of what mixture of things help you cope. like mine is rest, heat pads gentle exercise mindfulness and other relaxation/visualization and Tens machine. just take your time in doing things, Hope your pain subsides over the next few days, take it easy, best wishes and take care, also have a Happy New Year, Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Thanks Lee turns out I also have a uti so antibiotics now feeling truly dreadful

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna , something like this always seem to happen over the christmas period ,well that’s what it feels like sometimes,don’t it. just try and get other family members to help you out if they can, they should be doing that any way and not let you do everything ,work as a team to get things done.If They don’t and rely on just you, then it is bound to happen, flare ups, then nothing gets done. it should be you that needs waiting on until your a bit better not you waiting on them especially with all thats going on with you at the moment. if they don’t then do nothing, and concentrate on getting yourself better, I’m sure they will fend for themselves. even little things help like washing up ect . as when your in the middle of a flare up something simple like that seems a mountain to climb.I think sometimes you got to be a bit selfish and think about YOU getting better and not others, as others will still carry on living their lives with your help or not but be grateful when they do help you. My wife has to work in between christmas and new year and has only had 3 days off, so it does put a lot of pressure on me. so just told her that things might not get done, she said it don’t matter. Lorna just take your time and take it easy, hope your feeling better soon.Best wishes. Lee

PaulT_99
    Participant

Im in the same boat, although i dont really think ive done that much to “over do it”.
    None the less ive spent the last 3 days in bed. My back and shoulders are really painful. I can hardly lift my left arm to pick up a cup.

So im back on Tapentadol just to perk myself up a bit.
    The Nevro SCS is doing its job, but that only works for my thighs down to my feet. Wish they could make it work for the whole body, that would be great !.

lc
    Participant

Hi Paul, I think when you got back, pelvis and leg problems like I have ,you do use your arms a lot more, and when they pack up on you then thats it, I struggle with tennis elbow at times and when that flares, mainly over use of arms . it’s that painful i cannot pick up a cup of tea with that arm.it is silly little things that you have done that can cause your body to flare , I think it’s just a way of your body telling you that’s it I’ve had enough if you won’t stop ,then It, By having a flare up will make you stop.I think we all at time have this problem of pacing correctly, brain says one thing, body says another ,both out of tune from each other. At least you haven’t got all that intense nerve pain you once had in your legs on top as well. Glad to hear that so far the SCS is working for you. May be in the future they will find something that will stop or relief from all over chronic pain, they are nearly there, and for some,SCS works, so at least you have found something, that gives you relief, hope you to, find relief from your pain soon. take care and best wishes, and have a Happy New year, Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Just using the strongest stuff I’ve got knocks me out but I just couldn’t stand the pain
    There’s only me and my husband at home kids are all grown up, my husband is very good does just about everything I do feel bad for him at times but he is semi retired.

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, Yes I understand, I do that, just to get out of it sometimes, take the strongest I got . that’s not a problem, thats what it is there for, so you don’t suffer to much. It is hard to stop feeling guilty for yourself or others, as you cannot do much to help others out. my kids are all grown up but they still come and visit and help out when they can . just need to remind yourself when feeling guilty about not doing much to help ,that it’s not your fault or others that you live with a sometimes debilitating condition that you have not much control over of pain and when you get flare ups. I feel for my wife that she works full time and comes home to me, that has done nothing all day, it doesn’t seem fair, but I do what i can when i can in my own time, and the majority of the time things do get done in the end just not right now. what’s more important house work or your health and well being, Take care and best wishes. Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Lorna, lee and Paul

I am flared-up and I would imagine many on this forum are in worse pain after Christmas…I tried to go out for a local communal lunch on 25th…I shouldn’t have gone. I was in so much pain I was seeing stars. Got taken home to bed! To make matters worse, GP took me off ibuprofen just before xmas, so I have Tramadol or nothing…

Wishing you all better days ahead, and good pacing.

Lee I thought you would like to know that all your generous sharing of your experience of meditation has really encouraged me, and I am (finally)about to start the Breathworks online course for those with health problmes or who are in pain. Thank you!

https://www.breathworks-mindfulness.org.uk/online-courses/mindfulness-for-health-online

Happy New Year to all. Helen

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, WoW Thank you Helen that has made my day,to hear that.makes me Happy that I have Helped someone. You can do it online but you must be persistent with it. The hospital I go to, just before christmas asked me to join a course called Understanding pain, they understood that they could do nothing for me personally, but thought that they could learn from me, and to tell others how i cope, to encourage others . I did the 8 week course , it was similar to pain management but they had a person come in to talk and offer CBT and Mindfulness course , which I thought was great as they now recognize that with constant chronic pain comes Depression/anxiety and your thought process changes, and with my input have decided that they are including this within their course in future, so hopefully other hospitals if they don’t already do this, they should follow suit. You should be able to do this course for FREE if you can get to your local well being centre you might have to do CBT First, then ask them about doing Mindfulness.Or you can ask your GP to refer you, or you should be able to self refer, they should have leaflets at your local GP surgery about CBT,then once in contact with them, ask about mindfulness. Mindfulness is a way of life and is no quick fix you have to practice every day at first ,then over time your mindset changes to a more positive one it doesn’t change you as a person just changes the way you think about certain /or negative things so you can process it in a non judgmental way and let it go.also not to live on auto pilot so you can step out when ever you decide . it does bring a delight and wonder of things,which lifts your mood.but you must let all good and bad things happen, and feel it, and not just build a shield around yourself and let all these things bounce off, this is where you get depressed and go numb to any experiences you have.personally I found it better with a therapist with you to guide and help you in emotional times while learning mindfulness as there is a bit of psychology to it all as well if taught correctly. Well good luck with the course which ever way you go about doing it.and It does work give yourself time and persistence with it all. If you have any questions while doing the course just make a new thread and I will answer to my experience of it ok. Happy New Year to you, and a New You, take care and best wishes. Lee

lc
    Participant

Hi, Forgot to mention the course that you have decided to do online basically concentrates on just dealing with the pain and struggles that come with it mentally ,where as if you do the NHS one it will cover this, and a lot more broader aspect of it all, the basics like body scan, 10 mins meditation ,mindful walking, then breathing space regular and responsive,which is 3 mins,20 mins meditation, mindful movement, stretching and breath, up to a 40 minute meditation and working with difficulties.these are just meditations.there is 12 all in all. and with a therapist will go through all difficulties and help you personally with your thoughts and processes ,feelings, ect. just thought I’d let you now to help you decide on what options you got. take care and best wishes. Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Thanks so much for the additional info- I will certainly ask when I get stuck with anything. I have a long history of meditating, but doing it with pain is a whole new ball-game! I stopped mediating a few years ago, then I remember joining this forum and seeing your advice…and I just wasn’t at a point where I could accept that the pain is not going anywhere. 5 years on and I am giving this course a go. I have Vidyama Birch’s book and I read bits of it most days for encouragement, and meditate most days…but my attitude changed when I learnt her story, and that she is a wheelchair user.

Will let you know how I get on.

Take care, Helen

lc
    Participant

Hi , I found the best time is to do it while in pain, mine is constant pain just varying levels of it, really look into your pain what it feels like does it change or move around ect. take it for what it is and try and move through it and focus on your breath,then except it for what it is and it’s part of you, like your fingers ect. are part of you.as the weeks go by you may find that it,s still there the same intensity of pain but as its part of you and excepting it with out judgement or blame, you can move forward and sometimes the pain seems to lessen or your not noticing it as much ,as you focus on other things that you enjoy and makes you happy, it takes time but with perseverance you will get there. Good Luck , take care and best wishes on your journey,Lee

Ellie
    Participant

Hey,

I’m late to this sorry, but I just wanted to say that there is a alternative to the naproxen. They gave it to me a few weeks ago when it was out of stock. Maybe go back to your doctors and ask for it. Hope you made it out today and everyone is feeling better.
    Ellie

Lorna5
    Participant

Made it to my son’s just sitting now doing nothing
    Hospital says I have a kidney infection so no anti inflamatories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.