finally gave in for a less pain and to stop flare ups

Home Forums General finally gave in for a less pain and to stop flare ups

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lorna5 3 hours, 36 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

lc
    Participant

Hi All, well over the last 3 years I have been really struggling from 1 walking stick, to 2 crutches, now occasionally when needed a wheelchair (self propelled ) to keep some form of fitness going.I just had enough of struggling and recently been in touch with OT and they suggested applying for a walk in shower and other aids to keep me independent and referred me to wheelchair services, after having a long chat with them . No I haven’t given up. just to make my life easier and carry on all day when out with my family. without causing myself great pain and discomfort and struggling to keep up without stopping. in a wheelchair I have not got to worry about where I can sit down when I need to, and I can keep up with family members walking,with out to much pain and struggle, and to a degree keeping myself fitter. than struggling to walk with crutches. so at moment waiting to hear about shower and a date to be measured ect. for a wheelchair with an wheelchair engineer and OT. Roll on summer so I can have some great days out, whizzing along and causing havoc on the streets with my own set of wheels LOL. take care all and best wishes. Lee

AnnieD
    Participant

Way to go you Lee!! I realise it can be a big obstacle to overcome accepting to use a wheelchair. As you say take to the sofa and never go anywhere or use a wheelchair and get on with life. Check you out Lee Stirling Moss in the making…. hey all the best with your upcoming appointments, and let us know how it’s all going! take care & best wishes AnnieD

Rose
    Participant

Excellent decision Lee. Great weight off your shoulders now that the decision has been made. You’re a sensible person ( hope this doesn’t sound patronising) so I’m 100% sure all will work out well . Think hang on to the crutches for options of standing when needed. Look forward to hearing of your adventures in the wheelchair.
    Rose

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  Rose. Reason: Spelling & deleting

lc
    Participant

Hi Annie and Rose, Thanks you for your responses, I will still use my crutches as much as possible still, on short journeys, and use the chair on bad days and longer than a couple of hours out. The OT swayed my decision about it all. and thought you know what she was right, why struggle and cause myself more pain when I don’t have to, and miss out on things. Let you know how it all goes when the time comes.I think I’ve made the right decision and the time was right just had enough struggling why should i struggle when there is help. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Lorna5
    Participant

Roll on summer then Lee but mean time not am easy decision to make well done as you say will make life easier when out and about with family so enjoy

lc
    Participant

Hi Lorna, Thank you, I kept putting it off for some time now, thinking I was managing, I was just kidding myself all the long, It is all happening quite quickly as already got most of equipement just wait for wheelchair appt. and a decision to be made wether i get walk in shower for free or I got to pay something towards the cost. with OT assessment just before christmas I was put in priority 1 top of list so I was told thats why it’s moving quickly, otherwise could have a wait upto 18 weeks or more. Yes you do battle with yourself a bit, one half of me was saying thats it, felt like I was giving up. but other half was saying it would be better. just happened one day while I was out with my son and wife and they were to me, rushing around, and i was in so much pain trying to keep up, and wanted to sit down there and then, with no where to sit. by the time I got home, was straight on my bed and that was it with pain levels through the roof. that was when I thought thats it i had enough and needed help.
    take care and best wishes. Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Good on you Lee!

Personally I have resisted every adaptation, and then finally accepted the help, and wondered why I didn’t do it sooner! It’s all about quality of life, and anything that contributes to that is really worth it.

We had our bathroom converted to a wet-room and it is really marvellous. The OT staff are so helpful and will find what suits you best.

Roll on Summer!

Best wishes
    Helen

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, thank you. The OT staff are lovely and work hard, and can see what will benefit you most,with a true understanding,of your difficulties, like the people on this site understand pain. with the equipment I already have has made it easier already.
    from your other post. Me Too, i suffer nerve pain and it seems to intensify when in colder weather.
    Take care and best wishes, and hope you find a new path through the course your doing and blogging, see life how it should be, and not all stress, anger and rushing around like a headless chicken, as I see a lot of while out and about people watching LOL.
    Lee

AnnieD
    Participant

It’s really great news to see you so positive about striking the right balance for you, as the saying goes – ‘Balance is not something you find, it’s something you create.’ best wishes AnnieD

lc
    Participant

Hi AnnieD, Thanks you. Well got appointment through today to attend for wheelchair on the 7th Feb. so not to far away. In a strange way I’m looking forward to it. which I find a bit weird, who looks forward to having a wheelchair. at least I will be more mobile and get out more on longer distances without worrying where i can sit down cause I’ve had enough.also cutting my journey short than I would like, which at the moment I find frustrating. so Hope this helps out in the long run. Take care and best wishes, Lee

lc
    Participant

Hi All, Well just a quick update , had the wheelchair appt. and had letter through for voucher ,it was for a lot more than I expected. so went out yesterday shopping and picked myself a chair. fully adjustable in all areas of the chair, and pick it up on monday. it came to about £10 more than my voucher but the mobility centre I went to said dont worry about the extra ,so I ended up paying nothing.also comes with a 10 year guarantee, great result. roll on summer so I can have great days out without worrying to much about where to find a comfy seat and to carry on all day without raising my pain levels through the roof and to carry on longer than I was on crutches and trying to keep up. also at the appointment the nice young lady said when I get the chair to ring her back up with seat dimensions and she will sort me out a pressure relief cushion and coccyx relief so I can use it for longer without causing to much discomfort. just in time, for my short break in March. all I got to learn now is popping wheelies LOL. take care all and Best wishes. Lee

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Lee – fantastic news! Wow, that was incredibly quick, way to go you! I sincerely hope I’m not going to be reading about stuntman Evel ‘Lee’ Knievel in the papers – ha ha!! Or would that be wheelie great? Your family must be over the moon for you… best wishes AnnieD

lc
    Participant

Hi Annie, Thanks Lot, I did ask my sons for some fingerless leather gloves to stop my hands burning on the rubber as my sons take it in turns trying to push me down the hill, and a bag on back so I can put a drink in and parachute. LOL. I did say I wondered if I could put a 1300 cc engine on it so I can start a santa pod wheel chair day, HA HA. It is a strange feeling though, looking forward to going out all day in a chair and being pleased about it, I mean who wants to be in a wheel chair if I had a choice. Take care and best wishes, Lee

Helen H
    Participant

That’s great news Lee!

I hope it makes life not only easier but also more enjoyable.

Take care
    Helen

AnnieD
    Participant

Hi Lee – you are so funny!!! You have a choice about being in a wheelchair, and you’re making the right choice for you, as at the end of the day it’s all about improving your quality of life! It’s like it’s giving you a new lease of life as the positivity flowing throughout this thread is just fantastic news! P’raps you ought to ask your sons for some ‘L’ learner plates too tho – ha ha!! best wishes AnnieD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.