DULOXETINE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    anniekat
    Participant

Hi All,

I finally received a letter from my pain consultant after a 5 week wait.

I’m trying to cut down my ibuprofen use and have been told to ask my gp to give me 60mg of duloxetine daily.

In this letter, I was also diagnosed as having fibromyalgia when I thought I’d got CFS!

Has anybody used this drug for either fibro or CFS?

Thanks!

Annie x

Rose
    Participant

Not had the drug, but after reading something on line, pos wikipedpdia, really concerned that the Pain consultant thinks you need this drug. I feel I sort of know you ,even though I don’t . But I do know you are a positive person. There must be thousands of persons with Fibro out there that don’t know if they have it or not. I may have it? But I have Acu every month so there’s no reason to know it. What am I saying? I think I’m saying he has misread you .or ?
    More research needed I feel. Hope you get plenty feedback on here. Hope I have not spoken out of turn.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Rose,

No, you are certainly not speaking out of turn! Glad to hear any opinions.

I wish acupuncture worked for me, but if doesn’t!

I think, after doing my reading up, this drug is usually used for people with depression. But its also used for nerve pain. Apparently there is new evidence that the pain from fibro is caused by ‘faulty’ nerve endings (sorry, not very scientific!).

I’m not happy that I’ve got to give up my low doses of Dosulepin and citalopram as well as ibuprofen before I start on duloxetine. All used for CFS and OA.

I’ve got an appointment with my gp next week to talk about things. I realise, that because my kidneys are not working as well as they should be, I have to give up ibuprofen, but I’m not sure I’ll get enough pain relief with the new drug.

Well, we shall see!

Hope all’s well with you.

Annie x

Rose
    Participant

Thanx for reassuring reply Annie. Think the Ibuprofen has issues with blood pressure too as my husbands on it for toothache and it has been mentioned to him.
    Hubby also ignores me when I tell him to take it with food.
    Just out of interest, I tried 4 Acupunturists before I found one that knew how to treat me. One of which was a GP and hadn’t a clue.
    wishing you some helpful replies
    Rose

anji
    Participant

Hi my hubbys been taking this for two years for crops and it has made a big difference to his pain and depression. Like any drug it doesn’t always suit everyone but from his experience I would say give it a go. Hope this helps.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Anji,

Thanks for that info. I’m glad it works for your husband and I’m hoping it’s the same for me!

Annie x

Champagne
    Participant

Hi Anniekat

Duloxontine has alternative uses and they have found that in some cases of people suffering from fibro that an anti depressant helps them sleep better and gives a reduction in pain especially lower back pain. It is rather like Pregablin which was originally used as an additional Epilepsy drug but they found that some people who were on it for that reason and happened to have fibro or neuropathic pain reported back that their symptoms had been eased and they suddenly ralised that the drug had several uses. I am on it although I am not a sufferer with Epilepsy and that helped the burning, stabbing pain which was one of my symptoms. It does not mean that you are actually depressed as often for fibro it is used in a lower dose than the one used for depression. It helps some and not others but sometimes another type of anti depressant can be tried as one size does not fit all.

I tried two different types but unfortunately both had side effects that were quite bad but I am quite sensitive to alot of medications. I was offered a third but I am in the process of trying to move house at the moment so have not got the time to let my body acclimatise to another med.

I feel anything is worth a try.x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.