Discectomy

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hope
    Participant

Has anyone had a discectomy on lower back for a herniated
    disc that is bulging and pressing on a nerve ?

Any experiences please as I think it looks like I will be
    offered this soon .

Thanks

Lc
    Participant

Hi Hope ,Yes I had this done as my first operation it was done while i was still awake i had no problem with that. and it worked, but i over done it and went back to work to early and suffered a collapse where the disc above went into my spinal cord then the surgeon had to take both disks out and had fusion.this is where all my problems started. so if you have it done don’t do anything even if you feel ok to do it and follow the surgeons instructions on what you can do and can’t do for the first couple of months i was not supposed to do anything ie no housework pushing hoover or prams ect. only to lie down when need to and get up to walk or toilet, thats it no lifting jumping pushing or pulling anything. so please follow the surgeons advice. i had a mate who had it done and he followed procedure and went back to work although he has lighter duties his fine now accasionally gets pain when over does things but it settles with rest. hope your surgery goes well for you take care and best wishes . Lee

Hope
    Participant

Hi Lee, Did you have a disc pressing on a nerve ?
    If so did it relieve your pain? Is surgery on your back dangerous ?

I find that the consultants don’t explain everything to you .

Lc
    Participant

Hi Hope, with any surgery can be dangerous in some way or another,and there are risks ie surgeon can nick a nerve that can cause nerve problems. but i think they have better practices today and the surgeons know more about what to do and not to do,and have got better at it, than when i had mine done about 23 year ago. and yes the disc was pressing on nerve and after surgery it was a relief as the nerve pain i did have was instantly gone. but like i said i messed up the surgeons work by not ad hearing to what i was told to do and the disk above colapsed and went inwards pressing on spinal cord which resulted in me having another op 8 months later to be fused and disks removed..plus i had other problems and nerve damage from fractured/ dislocated pelvis which caused my back problems, like i said you should be fine as long as you don’t go running and jumping about and pushing and pulling things and no digging the garden. until your fully healed and very slowly build your strength back up over the months ie walking, riding a bike ask the surgeon when you can do this. like i said a mate of mine had it done and is back at work but has now got lighter duties. hope i’ve covered what you wanted to know any other questions just ask. take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.