Disc degeneration and adolescent scoliosis

Home Forums General Disc degeneration and adolescent scoliosis

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lc 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jolou
    Participant

Hi i’m a new member am 42, i’ve had disc degeneration for over10 years now. It started with pains in my legs and hips, i was going to my GP for over a year or more and he kept sending me away with tablets. When he eventually refer d me i had an MRI and found out that i had a rip in my a disc( not sure which one just at the bottom of my spine). They did some injections into it but this didn’t help, i was still in a lot of pain. I’m a single mum and my was son 10 at the time, and i also was still working. I was exhausted all the time. In 2014 i had to finish working as it was too much, and was now taking a lot more tablets. I had another MRI in 2016 and found out that had adolescent scoliosis.
    I was going to the pain clinic at my local hospital for lidocaine infusions every 6 to 8 weeks, but over the last two years i’ve been 4 times, and now everyone has been discharged. I feel like i’ve been fobbed off, told to take my medication and go home and live with it as there’s nothing that they can do for me. They told me this is more common in older people and unfortunately is happening to me now. I’ve isolated myself and don’t have a lot of friends anymore. I’m in pain all day every day and even my medication doesn’t same to help anymore.
    After over 10 years with no help i think i might have found some. A private hospital have taken on the NHS pain clinic, about 30 miles away, i went to see them on Thursday and i cried for the first time as someone may be able to help. They will be giving me my infusions more regularly and they are going to talk it me about my tablets and what they are for and also see if i could change any. They also do group sessions. They told me to look for a forum to talk to people with chronic pain so here i am.

Joyce
    Participant

Hi there poor you sounds like you’ve been through the mill, but on the right track now. Good luck hope all goes well

lc
    Participant

Hi Jolou, Welcome to this site, your in the right place, and should not feel so alone with your condition, we all understand what your going through with pain and being fobbed off. there is a wealth of info, try looking at top of page in blue letters under resources then click on relationships as long term pain does effect all aspects of life whether your aware of it or not. Also look under Pain relief there is info there for alternative methods ,if you have not tried any that may help. and you can try typing your condition in the search forums box to your right hand side above where you log in it will take you to all posts talking about your condition if there is any.
    We are a friendly lot who have empathy and understanding .I have been living in constant pain for about 23 years now from a fractured/dislocated pelvis and 2 spinal surgeries which left me with nerve damage/pain, chronic persistent pain, and now with arthritis and si joint pain. so been around the system a few times. It’s a case of finding what meds and alternative treatments that work for you best, as what works for one person doesn’t mean it it works for someone else. but you need to give it a try to see if it helps some what for you. or even if you just want to chat to like minded people and make new friends .or to vent your frustrations , we all know the difficulties that comes with living in pain, including depression.also you can ask any questions you like whatever you will always get someone to answer even if it takes a day or two. Take care and best wishes for now,Lee

jolou
    Participant

Hi Joyce thank you and i’m sceptical about what they can do for me but on the other hand hopeful that something works. I know that it won’t take the pain away completely but just ease it just a little. Thanks again and take care.

jolou
    Participant

Hi Lee thanks for the welcome and i will take a look info. How did you fracture your pelvis? if you didn’t mined me asking. Are you able to walk, as it sounds like you have a lot going on, more than me and i’m really struggling to walk and thinking of getting a wheelchair so i can get out.
    I i’m hoping that this new place will be able to do something more with the meds that i take and if some that will help me in the long term.
    Thank you for your kind words in welcoming me. Take care Jo.

Helen H
    Participant

HI joulou- just to say welcome to this supportive forum. As Lee says there is a lot of info already on here, but you can always ask questions. I am 6 years into constant pain. I have ME, and am one of those folk that the Drs can’t find a cause for the pain.

Pain clinics really vary, but it sounds like you have a new avenue to explore.

I use a walker, stick and mobility scooter, and am bedbound most of the time. It can be hard to admit you need mobility aids, but they certainly open up more independence. You can ask your GP for a home visit by the Occupational therapist and they can advise you on the things that you can get to be more mobile. Mine has been really supportive and has recommended things I wouldn’t have thought of. I am not sure about wheelchairs, but my walker, pillow raiser, and kitchen stuff is on permanent loan i.e. free!

You are not alone, we are all on here because pain has rewritten our lives, and we do understand.

Take care
    Helen

lc
    Participant

Hi Joulou,
    Mine was a car accident as a rear seat passenger hit car in front and spun into oncoming lorry that hit where I was sitting and went over the top. had to be cut out and nearly died. I can walk but as years have gone by getting worse ,walk with crutches, but just recently use a wheelchair so I can keep mobile all day and keep my independence. I do struggle with crutches and if i’m out more than about an hour then use wheelchair. But I am strong minded and keep going for as long as i can before using chair but have just come to terms with having to use one, to stop increase levels of pain and to keep going. Accepting that this is how you are, is quite difficult for some. but accept you must otherwise you just end up having mental battles with yourself which is no good for your mental wellbeing. take care and best wishes. Lee

lc
    Participant

Hi Joulou, If you want a read, Helen and I done a blog about how I manage. it’s in two parts, but if you search forums and write Lee’s blog about mindfulness, and click search. it will take you to second blog where there is a link I think to the first. take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.