Disc Bulge

Home Forums General Disc Bulge

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago by Lc.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Aurora
    Participant

Hello everyone
    I hope you are all as well as you can be.
    I haven’t posted for a long time but having a horrendous time at the moment.
    Had an MRI in March for my longstanding back pain and got a call from my pain consultant a couple of weeks back to say they have found a disc bulge which is pressing on the nerve – the report says ‘compression of the right s1 nerve root at L5/S1 due to right paracentral disc protrusion.’ It also said L4/L5 small synovial cyst arising from left sided facet joint narrows the left subarticular recess slightly and medically displaces the descending left L5 nerve root without compression’.
    I have six injections every four months under X Ray guidance and these very cancelled so my pain has been unbearable. I have an appt for a neurosurgeon the 7th of July. I’m having the most awful back spasms.
    Anyone with any knowledge or experience of this condition please reply.
    I don’t know how I’m going to cope until July. I have diazepam from the doctor for the spasms on top of my normal pain killers.
    Many thanks
    Xx

Lc
    Participant

Hi Aurora, I do feel for you, as I have experienced this, and ended up with fusion, but every case is different. but from my experience nothing takes the pain away unless you have an operation disectomy and decompression. but like all operations it is a 50/50 chance it works but it will lower the pain levels even if it doesnt work properly and for some it will take the pain completely away, most on here have failed back surgery, but there is just as many people that it has worked for and gone back to work with no problems. but the main thing is if you surgery do everything the surgeon tells you to do and cannot do while recovering, this is where I went wrong I felt alright so started doing stuff and messed up the surgeons work on the first op and ended up having a second op within 8 months. surgeon went ballistic at me. but the longer the nerves are trapped it can cause nerve damage and take s the nerves longer to recover.
    If you type in the search forum box L4 to S1 disk bulge and surgery it should come up with all the posts related and you will get a better picture of others stories as well as my own. It is horrendous pain and injections dont really work or short lived.also the muscle spasms are not really helping and increase your pain even further ,I understand it is hard but to help that you ned to try and relax a bit . I found that heat around the area helped a bit. sorry to be brutally honest but you need to know. Take care and best wishes and good luck on 7th July. Lee

Divac
    Participant

hi Aura
    hope your pains reduced to bearable levels
    i have l4 l5 and l5 -S1 disc bulging and narrowing canal, etc etc..
    i think. Pragabalin used with Cocodomol not too bad , even though. when i take the paikillers i try to exercise, which is a must and try to walk about 45 mim a day , like 20 min morning and 20 min evening, if you go to you tube , there are many exercises explaind by many but i found it good to try Dr, Jo , herniated disc videos

or Dr.Alan Mandela

if you like try these , as mentioned , you must try walking everyday and do exercise 3-4 times for 20-30 min each exercise, if you try you will see that pain lgoes away. hope you have fun

Divac

Aurora
    Participant

Hi Lee
    Many apologies for the delayed reply.
    Thankyou for your reply and your insight and knowledge.
    I guess I will have to wait and see what the neurosurgeon says.
    X

Aurora
    Participant

Hi
    I’m afraid my pains are so severe I’m unable to exercise.
    X

Lc
    Participant

Hi Aurora, No problem, that’s what we are all here for to try and help each other. have you tried a TENS machine that helps me now with any break through nerve pain on top of nerve pain drugs (Amitriptyline).when I had my ops I didnt really have a choice as I also fractured dislocated pelvis as well,and was paralysed for a while got to walk again for a while then messed it up and collapsed and lossed control of bladder.nerve blocks and morphine never even touched me and was rushed in for second op next day. but understand the pain your in which is not nice and wouldnt wish it on anyone. Let us know how you get on with neurosurgeon and good luck. take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.