Decompression and fusion suggested

Home Forums General Decompression and fusion suggested

This topic contains 68 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  lc 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Laura
    Participant

Sorry to say, Joyce, that fusion surgery made me much worse but do hope all goes well for you.

I also found that even though the physios were told I shouldn’t bend, lift or twist they still asked me to do it! Be very mindful of the need to follow your surgeons instructions to the letter (I did but it didn’t stop me ‘getting’ failed back surgery syndrome).

Good luck.

lc
    Participant

Hi Joyce, my first back surgery was decompression /fusion and at first felt great, no back pain ect. also when i came round it was instant relief, but had some nerve damage from fractured pelvis, I was supposed to be off for 18 months and had hydro therapy for pelvis injury 3x a week for 7 months.as i had really smashed my pelvis and was paralysed for a while but did recover . I messed mine up because I tried to go back to work early and about 2 weeks later collapsed in agony, and was rushed back in, and second op is where all the rest of my troubles began. If I had listened and took full advice from surgeon I would have been ok . as they can only fix you so many times, the surgeon went ballistic at me, as i had undone all his hard work to fix me.
    That is why I say you should be fine but like all surgery it is a 50/50 chance. but as this is your first you should be fine with a good surgeon. I hope this puts you in a clearer picture of why mine failed
    I did have one of the top surgeons in the country. it is as i have got older that things have got worse for me. but I am lucky to be alive. just like what everyone else says do what the surgeon telss you can/cannot do and you should be ok. take care and best wishes,Lee

Joyce
    Participant

Hi Laura and Lee
    If it’s not too rude can you tell me how old you were when you had the surgery? As I know the older you are the outcome isn’t always as good I’m 65
    Joyce

Joyce
    Participant

I’m on the train now going to see consultant decision must be made!!

lc
    Participant

Hi Joyce, I was 30 when this happened to me. sorry for the late reply. hope all went well at the consultation let us know what you have decided. take care and best wishes, Lee

Laura
    Participant

I was 50 when I had my first back operation, 51 the second op and 53 the final one!

Good luck with it all, it’s a tough decision to make.

Joyce
    Participant

Well I have agreed with consultant to delay surgery until January, I’m going back to see him in November with the proviso that if the pain gets too bad I can ring his secretary and move things along quicker. This suits me so for now I’ll keep taking the tablets and see how things go. I’ve had more Xray’s but I think he realised that I wasn’t keen on the SPEC CT because of the high radiation involved. Also because I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy in 1987 he is wary of going through my stomach because of the damage that would have probably occurred. So he’s planning to go through my back inserting pins and possibly metalwork (a cage) round my vertebrae. All sounds pretty grim but necessary, I’ll keep you posted hope you all stay well.

thenunn
    Participant

Hi Joyce ,I’ve been reading your updates 🙂 such a hard decision isn’t it. You are at the same point as me . I’m working on physio and gym for stretches and core work ,its hard when I’m bad ,but I’m getting better at taking rest time and use Epsom baths at a nice hot temp that’s the only relief ,short lived but oh so nice . Stay strong and lots of TLC

lc
    Participant

Hi Joyce, This is what I had done, a cage and pins and they managed to do it without going through the front, but remember my surgeon saying something about he might have to go through the front, depending on what he found, as i had messed up his first lot of work. any way take care and best wishes at least you have a choice to speed it along if you feel necessary, Lee

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.