Decompression and fusion suggested

Home Forums General Decompression and fusion suggested

This topic contains 68 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lc 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Lc
    Participant

Hi Joyce, the rack thingy is normally done by physio as thenunn says they might have stopped it. I’m not sure, but would ask anyway as it’s a post code lottery as different areas do different things sometimes. but as your consultant knows you best. might be worth asking to see if they still do that, and would he recommend it for your case.But sounds as if you have gone past that stage but worth a try anyway just to see what they say.whatever you decide I wish you well.

Hi thenunn, as your struggling with your mental state try CBT and Mindfulness, it could help you cope and deal with what’s going on in your life. mindfulness is a way of life and it takes perseverance and practice regularly. basically it changes the way you think about it and react to situations on a positive . these 2 things got me in a better state of mind, and out of a deep hole with suicide tendency.also it helped me to help others , as HelenH has found out. Try reading Lee’s blog about mindfulness there is 2 parts which Helen and I have done. it will give you some insight to How CBT and Mindfulness has helped me. if you have not read it already.
    or try typing Mindfulness into the search forums box near top of this page it will take you to all posts relating to it, there is a lot of stuff to read but may put you in the picture.
    Take care both of you, and best wishes. Lee

thenunn
    Participant

Hi Lee ,thank you for your kind words. Yes Ive been practising mindfulness and cbt for a while , two recent accidents threw me off for a while ,but back on track now 🙂
    Im busy reading a very good book called Life After Pain Dr Kuttner ,its all about reframing the way we see/handle our pain..a way to reprogram the pain nerve cycle. It takes a lot of time ,but the way I see it anything that may help is worth trying .
    Hope youre ok Joyce anmd that everyone is enjoying this wonderful weather (uk )
    jan

Lc
    Participant

Hi Jan, glad to hear that you practice mindfulness, it’s during difficult times that I find i use it more , to help you get through it all.like your 2 accidents that is when I think you need it, and not let the accident throw you off. but glad to hear your back on track . Yes I have heard of that book, and also the physio tried that technic to reprogram the nerve pain cycle and said we mainly use it on amputees with phantom pain, but think they are using it more widespread now at my local hospital for nerve pain patients to. I know what your talking about.
    you too hope enjoying the weather. take care and best wishes. Lee

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

A great book (with an awful title!) is Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn. It was printed a while ago, but is wonderful. I learnt all about mindfulness from his book well before it became a ‘thing’. Can thoroughly recommend it.
    Jan at PainSupport

Lc
    Participant

Hi Jan at painsupport, when I got referred after CBT straight into mindfulness the lead therapist I had in our small group, used a lot of info from Jon Kabat-Zinn and she let me borrow that book, it is a bit of an eyeopener in many ways and could relate to some of the stuff he has written about, and is a great book if you want to get into mindfulness. but sadly I needed a lot of CBT 1 to 1 first, to sort out difficulties and Ptsd first, and signed off from them, before they would let me do mindfulness. but the both combined certainly has changed the way i deal and react to things and difficulties that now arise, also living with pain physically and mentally, It certainly has been a game changer for me in life.
    Anyway take care and best wishes to you all. Lee

Joyce
    Participant

Morning I’m back to he consultant on Monday bday still in a quandary about decompression and fusion surgery but really must decide or he’ll discharge me. I’ve delayed having the SPEC CT scan as was told not to have it unless going ahead with the surgery. A friend I’ve found out has had it done twice originally 8 years ago then 5 years later some more discs degenerated so had to have another cage round them. She said it has helped her a lot and not to listen to all the negative stuff. I think age has a lot to do with it and being 65 I’m not going to heal as quickly or as well as a younger person. But obviously other avenues i.e. Steroid injections etc have been the first line of attack and as none of these work surgery seems to be the only thing left. This SPEC CT scan apparently gives a lot more detail and they will be able to see if other discs are likely to cause problems later and should be sorted now. On this note my friend made a valid point regarding nerve damage, this is likely to be the cause of all my pain, sciatica down both legs and feet and if nerve damage can’t be repaired so sooner rather than later is her advise.
    Last thing I’ve ditched cocodamol as it doesn’t help and am trying tramadol together with amitryptilin, has anybody else had this combo of mess, bit worried that one of the side effects could be seizures?

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Joyce
    re the medication:
    I have been taking this combination for about 4 years and they give me a substantially better quality of life than without. Everyone reacts differently to every medication, but you can always come off one or both if you have problems. I do get anxious before trying new medications, but your Dr should be starting you on the lowest effective dose.

I was going out of my mind before having Amiltriptilin at night- it is very rare it doesn’t get me to sleep. My husband is also a chronic pain patient and takes it as well.

Tramadol can become addictive, but, as I say, for me it has been really helpful. If you are worried about seizures, I would speak to a pharmacist. My local one is really helpful- , and they generally know a lot more about medications and how they interact.

All the best
    Helly

Joyce
    Participant

Thanks, I think they always give worst case scenario. Haven’t noticed any other improvement yet but it’s early days.

Lc
    Participant

Hi Joyce, I was on tramadol for a while but they were just making me feel sick nausea and loss of appetite also very constipated, so stopped , amitriptyline gets me a good nights sleep without legs jumping around and moaning in my sleep.also it’s the only one I can tolerate without adverse reactions. but like all of us what works for one doesn’t mean it works for you, but give it go.
    Also the longer your nerves are trapped the more chance of damage, and the longer it takes them to recover.also like I have said earlier and what your consultant has confirmed ,can you live like this the rest of your days, My advice if you have tried everything else and you have had enough, then go for surgery, when you come round it is instant relief, just take your time to recover and don’t rush to get things done, No lifting, digging your garden, pushing a pram ect. till your surgeon says it’s ok take his advice and ask what you can and cannot do.and you should be fine.
    I wish you every success in your surgery and you should be ok so you can enjoy the rest of your life a lot better than where you are now. Take care and best wishes, Lee

Joyce
    Participant

Thank so Lee
    Everything you say makes complete sense. I went to bluewater today and I was in so much pain at one point I felt like laying down on the floor and letting everyone walk round me!! I’ve started the Tramadol although it would have helped if my GP had told me the dosage, I had to ring the dispensary to find out. . I’m taking one 3 times a day they’re 50 mgs and an anatryptiline at night… we’ll see not optimistic. Regarding the surgery, I think I’ve got to bite the bullit as I definitely can’t live the rest of my life with this constant pain unless I want to spend it laying or sitting down. I’m going to try and go for winter when I can sit attached to the tv watching Netflix.

Lc
    Participant

Hi Joyce, I had my last surgery in november time so by xmas I was ok. then by march had to see surgeon again, and he signed me off, The reason mine failed was the first time I overdone it and collapsed and was rushed in for second op. I had already damaged myself beyond their repair capabilities. but I had fractured /dislocated pelvis as well as these two ops.and didn’t listen to surgeon. I was doing relatively alright considering, and was in no pain, so it was my stupid fault, overdone it to early. so just take my advice listen to surgeon and do exactly as your told and rest, sit /lie down ,walk and that is it, till they say you can go back to your normal. no pushing pulling hoovering jumping around,digging ect. and let others run round you for a while til your completely better, it will take a few months, but they seem to fly by when you keep your mind occupied, and you will be Ok, I wish you every success and you always have this site to talk to if you have any questions, take care and best wishes, Lee

Joyce
    Participant

Hi again Lee
    Realistically how long before you can do housework bend to feed animals etc ( I have 5 dogs) can’t envisage sitting around for 3 months!!!
    Thanks
    Joyce

Lc
    Participant

Hi Joyce, hard to say really, as we all recover differently, as long as you can bend knees ,like use your knees to get down and back up, you should be ok feeding the dogs, but start to bend slowly and gently if you get sharp pains stop. and don’t push it.best get advice from surgeon when you can start doing stuff like house work ,hoovering ect. also they might get you to see physio as well which they will give advice if ask them, to. as I had mine done about 23 years ago, and things change a bit since then, as they had me up about a week later where as today they have you up after about 2 days, but remember I had other stuff wrong with me where yours is just back. sorry I cannot give you further advice but just remember I was not aloud to do things until i went back to surgeon for a review which was about 3 months later. and this is what I was told. but it could be quicker for you now.
    take cake care and best wishes Lee

Laura
    Participant

Hi Joyce,

I was told no bending, lifting, twisting for minimum 12 weeks. Start planning now for how to manage, a litter picker was the most useful tool for me.

Joyce
    Participant

Thanks Laura
    Dreading it I’m not good at ignoring things but hopefully the thought of what could go wrong will help. Have you had decompression and fusion surgery, has it helped?
    Joyce

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.