Decompression and fusion suggested

Home Forums General Decompression and fusion suggested

This topic contains 49 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lc 6 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Joyce
    Participant

Hi Jan you’re right about other discs deteriorating but I suppose at least some of mine will be sorted if others go. It’s the recovery period that worries me not good being out of action as I’m a bit OCD with house work etc although my husband will step up he’s pretty rubbish on that side of things What with the 5 dogs I’ve got aaaah! Maybe it’d be better in winter might be a few months anyway. Who are you under if you don’t mind me asking, I’m under Guys in London so guess it’s quite good?

Joyce
    Participant

Hi Lee I’ve been retired for 16 years so that’s not a problem it’s me being not overdoing it that worries me
    Joyce

lc
    Participant

Hi joyce, I had that problem, but after 2nd op I was determined not to mess myself up again and it was difficult to say no I cannot do that , but just thought about the pain I was in and had to change my way of life to a slower paced one and not do some of the things I once did. to keep my pain levels as low as I can .if I was to have some sort of life, even after 23 years I must admit i am getting worse and having to pace myself more during the day, but thats what happens because I got smashed up a bit and the fact that the older you get, old wounds have a funny way of creeping back to bite you. but as you are already as fit as can be, that is on your side to a quicker recovery after a major op. it is hard to say no i have to stop now. and even now over do things at times but you pay for it later with increased pain so over time you have to learn to stop before it increases your pain levels and makes you stop . you need to avoid doing this as you pay for it later. just take your time and let others help out around the house, and why worry if its not to your standard. have you got the Queen lodging with you? Only joking I still do house work but I’ve learnt to do it in my time. sometimes only manage a room a day, some times I miss week then do some the next. Yes it frustrates me at times to see it in a mess but who have i got to prove and show it off to only my family. I know I’m not the only one. take care and best wishes. Lee

thenunn
    Participant

Hi Joyce, Im at Salisbury

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Jan Sadler. Reason: Doctor's name removed. We aren't allowed to identify individuals, only hospitals.Thanks

PaulT_99
    Participant

FYI we are not allowed to mention doctors names on here.
    Your post will be deleted soon I expect.

Joyce
    Participant

Ok sorry

thenunn
    Participant

my apologies

thenunn
    Participant

Hi Joyce ,any more news ? X

Joyce
    Participant

Morning thanks for remembering. Well I’m still in a quandary, but when I went back and told my consultant all my concerns he just said if you think you can live with your pain for the rest of your life, don’t have the surgery. He’s not making any promises and said I won’t be completely pain free but there will hopefully be a marked improvement. At the end of the day there’s not any other option people keep suggesting physiotherapists etc who have sorted them out but they are all younger and haven’t had this problem for 4+ years. I would try anything rather than have surgery but I think things have got too bad What with the sciatica down both legs and feet. Sorry to ramble on but it helps to talk to someone with the same problem. In that note how are you doing? X

lc
    Participant

Hi Joyce, there is something ,it’s a bit like the old rack where they stretch your spine. not as drastic as it sounds, they lay you on the bed and put weights around ankles /feet and you just lay there for a bit . you would need several sessions. as long as you have not had, fusion then this should be ok. cannot remember the correct name for it though. but it gently stretches you and can untrap nerves and can help you get some relief, for some ,it works well and can give a few years relief. I think it may be worth asking about and see what they say. If that doesn’t work or they don’t recommend it for you, then surgery is your only choice. and if that put you in a less pain situation then personally I would go for it, your surgeon is being honest with you. also the choice is yours and wether you can live the way you are at the moment..let us know what you decide , we are all here to talk to, take care and best wishes,Lee

Joyce
    Participant

Morning Lee do you know it’s weird last night I went to a 50th anniversary do and I was dancing all night everyone must have thought I was a right fraud as I’m always moaning on about being unable to walk round the supermarket or shops without stopping to sit down every 100 yards. Just don’t get it. Anyhow I will ask about the rack thingy, is it done at the hospital or by a physio or osteopath? I’ve asked consultant about other treatments but he said fusion and decompression are my only options. I’m supposed to have a SPEC CT scan before I have surgery to check on my other discs but he said don’t have it unless you’re going ahead with the surgery. Due to go back on 12 August I’m worried he might discharge me if I keep stalling 😩

thenunn
    Participant

Good morning Joyce, the rack thing ,as far as I know is no longer used in UK by physios,they didn’t think it did any good. There is a portable one you can get for home ,several makes, but it means getting down on floor 🙂 . I’ve been trying a mind thingy ,where you accept the pain knowing its doing no damage,and just get on with stuff ..sometimes it helps,but even if you know its doing no damage it still hurts !.
    I am honestly wondering myself whether to contact consultant and say yes to decompression but no to fusion. Since having 2 rear end accidents within the last 4 months my leg pain is so much worse and its interfering so much with my mental state and my life . Pain killers don’t touch it ,just make me want to sleep .Ive been very low lately with it,like all my enthusiasm has gone because to do anything hurts so much..I know that’s not the attitude and have always been of the mind its hurts whether I do something or not ,so might as well do something ..but at present I just cant be bothered . lol 🙂
    He shouldn’t discharge you but put you on a SOS list which last 12 months ..that’s what Im on ,so if I change my mind I phone them up and things get going without going back to the start.
    have a lovely sunday .:)

Joyce
    Participant

Morning sounds like you’re practicing Mindfulness, my friend suggested a book but I haven’t read it yet. I know it’s the new thing but. Not convinced breathing and self awareness is going to do the trick. Problem Is I want a quick fix and there really isn’t one. Maybe you should reconsider the surgery option if it’s making you so low. I know it’s very frightening but Personally I don’t want this pain for the rest of my life and it sounds like you’re in more pain than me. x

thenunn
    Participant

we’ll see who goes for it first lol . x

Joyce
    Participant

Ha ha I’m definitely going to hang it out until winter then I can retire to tv and box sets x

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.