DAILY VITAMIN D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    anniekat
    Participant

Hi All,

I’ve just heard on the news that we should all be taking a daily vitamin D supplement. I’ve been taking vitamin D tablets up until the sun shone at the start of this week.

Anybody else take it regularly?

My GP practice prescribes it to people at risk of fractures and the elderly.

Annie x

Genevieve
    Participant

I’m now 70. Two years ago, I had a blood test at the hospital and was found to be deficient in Vitamin D. My level was 22 nmol/l when it should be around 75 nmol/l. I was prescribed a high dose supplement by a gastroenterologist and, after a few months, my level gradually rose to normal.

I saw my GP after this to ask if I should be taking supplements and he told me that, as my level was now normal, I didn’t need to take any more. I couldn’t understand this, particularly as I had been so deficient, so I made the decision to take them anyway and now take 25 micrograms of Vitamin D3 daily from September to May. However, as I tend to dodge the sun – I’m a redhead and burn easily – I’m wondering whether to take them for a little longer.

By the way, as far as I am aware, my practice doesn’t prescribe supplements to anyone and they have to be bought over the counter. I also managed to get a DEXA scan the following year and found I had osteopenia.

What dosage of tablets do you take, Annie? And do you take it all year round?

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Genevieve,

I usually take them in the winter, but as we’ve had such a sun-low summer, I’ve only just stopped taking them, but actually I think I might just take them all the time. Better safe than sorry!

I take the 25mcgs of D3. I buy them from Healthspan. Hope I’m allowed to say that!

Annie x

Genevieve
    Participant

Thanks Annie. Mine are Vitabiotics Ultra Vitamin D3 and I buy them from my local chemist.

I am a little puzzled that the government daily dosage advice is only 10mcgs. It seems very low to me.

Susiesunshinethree
    Participant

I was diagnosed as being severely deficient in Vit D about 2 years ago I had an intense course of Vit D supplement prescribed by GP for about 6 months when I took a supplement everyday followed by every week then once a month. I now take 500mcg every 3 weeks or so. I ‘feel’ when it’s due by what I call Rickets’ pain in my shinbone. Not cured me but does make a difference and regular blood tests show I’m keeping levels within normal.

Genevieve
    Participant

When I was trying to find out how much Vitamin D to take, it all seemed very hit and miss. A GP that I saw told me that he took a supplement, but didn’t know what the dosage was! So he couldn’t tell me what an effective dosage was. Another GP told me just to read the boxes in the supermarket. This was after I have been extremely deficient and was a little concerned about going to the other extreme and taking too much.

As regards regular blood tests, I asked about an annual one, but was told that, if I’m taking Vitamin D supplements, then I don’t need to have a blood test to check my levels as they should be all right anyway.

Maybe this new initiative will focus minds. 🙂

Laura
    Participant

I’ve recently had my annual blood test (my MOT as my GP describes it!) and was found to be Vitamin D deficient as well as anaemic.

I was prescribed 20 mcg x 4 times a day and have to have another blood test after 3 months, then it will be a maintenance dose.

I wonder if my lack of Vit D is to do with using high spec sun screen because I wear it every day summer and winter.

Genevieve
    Participant

Hi Laura.

I heard a discussion this morning on the Today programme and this question about sun screen was asked. The answer was that if you use a high factor sun screen, this means that you aren’t making vitamin d from the sun. It was suggested that you need to be in the sun every day for a short period without any sun screen to get the benefit.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Genevieve.
    Laura
    Participant

Thanks, Genevieve for the info.

I can’t understand why your doctor won’t prescribe Vit D or give you a blood test, would have thought it was in their interests as well as yours to keep you well.

I take Fultium-D3 800 IU Capsules. After 3 months I should be on one capsule a day rather than the 4 I take now to get my levels up to normal. As my doctor said, the reason so many people are being found to be deficient is because they’re testing more people.

Di
    Participant

I was diagnose Vit D deficient about 10 years ago. I managed the supplements ok for about 2 years then they started to really upset my stomach. It’s well known that people with FIbro lack Vit d but so do most people in this country. We just don’t get enough sun in winter and most people hide from it in summer. Just 10 minutes in the sun with bare arms is enough to top you up in summer which is about the most I can do working in my garden but I also make sure I go out in winter too whenever here’s any sign of sun- even through mist. My GP tried a new type of supplement this year but I couldn’t tolerate that either.

Eileen Asbury
    Participant

Hi Annie
    A few years ago I read on another forum that people with arthritis tended to have low Vitamin D,
    I was due my regular blood tests and when I went I asked the GP did that include Vitamin D test, she said no that wasn’t a regular one and that was it. I asked could I have one. She said I told you its not a regular one but eventually I got her to add that into the rest of the tests.
    It came back very very low ….Don’t know the numbers exactly
    She put me on a tablet which is a mixture of calcium and Vitamin D. She had just discovered I had osteoporosis as well.
    The following year when I went for the blood tests I checked and she said no. I said remember last year? you weren’t going to give it to me and then when I perservered it came back as very low Vitamin D? So she added it in for the second year. Not sure about this year, the tests haven’t come round yet
    Love
    Eileen

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Eileen,

It just shows how right you were to push for the test. I wonder why, if so many of us are deficient, they don’t test automatically.

Annie x

Genevieve
    Participant

For that very reason, I suppose, Annie, that there are so many of us. I have met two doctors who both said that they were sure, if they tested everybody, most people would be deficient and even thought they were probably deficient themselves! But when you read how detrimental low Vitamin D levels can be to our overall health, it deserves to be taken more seriously.

Good for you for persevering about a blood test, Eileen. I’m going to ask again when it comes round to my annual check, so we’ll see!

Sally
    Participant

Hi everybody,

I too was found to be very low in Vit D. My GP put me on a course to bring my levels up. I am now given AD-CAL, by my GP as a maintenance dose, unfortunately, I often forget to take it!
    By the way, mine showed up in a full blood count test.

Take care all
    love Sally xxx

Christine
    Participant

Vitamin D is in the calcium/magnesium supplements I’ve been taking for years and years. Recently I did a test, and was found to have an adequate (actually rather high) level. Yet I’ve always worn a high factor sun cream, and don’t spend a lot of time outside at the moment.
    It’s all a bit mystifying, but at least there has now been this announcement about it.

Christine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.