Cognitive behavioural therapy for M.E./CFS

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Cognitive behavioural therapy for M.E./CFS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    anniekat
    Participant

Hi all with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,

What do you think of the news this morning that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and exercise have been found to be a ‘new’ treatment for M.E.?

Presumably, as it’s been agreed that CFS and Fibromyalgia are the same disease, this would apply to all fibromites too!

Anybody any thoughts?

Annie x

Navchic
    Participant

Hi Anniekat
    How are you?
    I think all research reported on the news should be viewed with healthy skeptisism (Spelling??). Yesterday, we were told that bacon and processed ham is going to give us all cancer, and tomorrow it will be something different. I think though when it affects you personally, it can feel very personal. And probably people make assumptions also when they hear stuff on the news. My mum used to send me every cure or research piece from the newspaper, but she doesn’t bother now – I was putting them in the bin!
    I think there is a place for some appropriate exercise for all patients with chronic pain, and everyone else too. I tried cognitive behavioural therapy also for chronic pain, but completely took the wrong message home from that one! I believed that if I denied its existance for long enough, it would go away- funnily enough that didn’t work!! Still, I’m sure it’s helpful for lots of people to help them adjust their behaviour to cope with chronic pain and chronic fatigue – pacing etc?
    What did you think about the piece on the news?
    T 🙂

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Hi Annie

CBT and exercise are the ‘new’ methods of treating all kinds of conditions – it’s cheap and sometimes effective. Not for everyone though. CBT works for people if they can take it all on board and actually remember to use it, but many just can’t.

However, if it was me, I’d take almost anything that was offered just in case even one small thing from it helped my pain.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi T,

I just thought it was strange that when I was officially diagnosed with CFS many years ago, CBT and ‘graded’ exercise was recommended. So its not new, is it.

I only heard the tailend of the report on the Today programme on R4 at 6.50am, and it wasn’t right until the end that they mentioned that they were talking about CFS. I’m going to listen to it again on my tablet I think.

I can see that CBT would be useful in the early stages when you’re new to the game, and it would probably make it easier to accept and cope with.

And we all know that doing as much exercise as you can manage has to be good for your general well-being, but surely it doesn’t take a team of professionals to work that one out.

I wonder where the funding comes from for people to revamp this information and call it NEW!

I really believe that one of the most helpful things to have happened over the last decade is all the help and advice we get from forums such as this and all the other forums that are available for whatever condition you are suffering from.

I know that after I had my hip replacement, I learned so much from other people who had gone through it all and were willing to share their experiences and advice.

Long live the internet!

All the best, Annie x

anniekat
    Participant

PS As if I haven’t said enough! Surely CBT and graded exercise would help people with all sorts of chronic conditions? X

Susiesunshinethree
    Participant

Hi Annie
    It’s old news! The person on the radio this morning was one of the people associated with the PACE trial. The trial has been controversial because of some of the methods used and this week a report was published questioning the validity of a lot of the methods used. It’s thought that the rash if reporting today (front page of the telegraph for example) is In response to the lesser reported challenging report.

As for cbt/GET there’s a lot of people who say they either make things worse or no different however it’s all that NICE currently recommends as treatment for anybody diagnosed with cfs/me.

Personally I find pacing the best. If all it took was positive thinking and exercise I’d be on it like a shot!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Susiesunshinethree. Reason: Bad typing!
    anniekat
    Participant

Yes, me too. Pacing is the best, if you can do it! I was given a low dose of citalopram when I was first diagnosed but not sure how effective it is.
    X

Navchic
    Participant

Hi Annie, the lead consultant Professor Sharpe, on that study was interviewed on one of the Dublin radio stations this evening- The last word show with Matt Cooper on Today FM.
    The podcast should be available later online on their listen back facility. The website is Today FM.com
    Seems like the media got the content of the study a bit muddled or at least overgeneralisation.
    T

anniekat
    Participant

Hi T,

Thanks. I’ll check it out.

X

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.