Chronic pain following knee replacement

Home Forums General Chronic pain following knee replacement

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lc 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

eniadc
    Participant

I have just joined this forum today as looking for hope to manage chronic pain. I had a knee replacement 13 months ago and was a painful journey but by 6 months I thought I was going to get to the finishing line. I always had soreness walking and this got worse at 10 months. Have been diagnosed as having patella tendinitis but pain way higher than should be having and spread to other knee and constant pain of 9 severity, sensative to heat, touch, cold,clothing. Diagnosed as nerve pain. Struggling to cope. Anyone out there had this experience?

Lc
    Participant

Hi eniadc,
    Welcome this site your in the right place, I don’t have knee problems but do suffer nerve pain so understand how you feel, Been suffering for about 23 yrs. first step I think is to try and get under a Pain clinic and try pain management clinic as well through your GP, as time goes on with chronic pain you can become depressed so I suggest CBT and mindfulness.
    At the top of this page in Blue there are links you can try like Pain relief just click on there and it will give a list of ideas to try and also under resources there is a link relationships as constant pain can make you have difficulties with relationships .
    also if you type into the search forums box your diagnosis or knee pain and click search it will take you to all posts that people have been talking about relating to that subject.
    We are a friendly bunch , who understand what living with pain is all about with empathy and there are people with a number of ailments and failed surgery, and all put together amounts to a lot of experience in dealing with pain of all sorts.. Have you tried a Tens machine? some like myself find it usefull, it doesn’t take pain away but masks it so you can carry on . For now ,Take care and best wishes. Lee

Eddie
    Participant

Yes, I can identify with chronic/severe pain after a TKR in Nov 2018. Pain unbearable at times. No quality of life. Brings me to tears at times. Been advised that joint looks to be functioning ok. More or less been told that I am just one of the unlucky 5% where op has been unsuccessful. Desperate most days……..

Eddie
    Participant

This is my first time on the forum. My pain manifest from failed back surgery AND unsuccessful TKR. Thank you Lee as I found your comments useful. My thinking hasn’t been great lately due to constant/chronic pain (Level 9)

Lc
    Participant

Hi Eddie, I do understand as I had fractured /dislocated pelvis and 2 lots of back surgery, fusion, now with chronic persistent pain, nerve damage/pain and SIJoint problems and arthritis. so know how you feel. Have you tried getting an OT(occupational therapist) to come out to you and assess you for your needs you could get a mobility scooter or wheelchair and other stuff to make you more independent in your home and out.
    it is all a long process to get all these things into place so you can try and have a better life. thats why I found CBT and mindfulness helped me a lot, it is a change of life style and total acceptance that this is how you are now.and to be kind to yourself and others in a non-judgemental way it is something you need to persevere with and this site helps to be able to talk to others who truly understand what living with pain is about at first I struggled for years beating myself up over things but once you have come to terms with it and stopped having arguments with myself and others and blaming others, life became a lot smoother. keep talking on this site it does help mentally,Hope you take on board what I’ve mentioned it all helps, its a mixture of medication and alternative ways that suit you, as what combination of things works for one does not mean they work for you it’s a case of try it all and keep an open mind to see what methods work for you best. take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.