Can a disabled person do spinal surgery

Home Forums General Can a disabled person do spinal surgery

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lc 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Curly
    Participant

Hello, my name is Jane I am 20 yd.
    I have a disability I am so weak to walk and I have someone taking care of me.
    I suffer from stenosis. I can’t sit well and I feel pain.
    I traveled to Germany to find a treatment for my stenosis. they said the only option is spinal fusion. should I take it? I have to get back to my home in London after the operation
    IDK what should I do . I am scared I won’t make a recovery because I can’t exercise or anything at all. what do you think should I do …?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Curly.

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Hi Jane
    Thank you for your enquiry. I’m very sorry but no-one here can advise you on whether or not to have the surgery as we aren’t medical professionals. The best people to help you with your decision are the consultants who offered you the fusion or any other medical people who know you and your condition.

Some people get good results from a fusion, others don’t, it’s impossible to say beforehand wwhether anyone will benefit from the surgery or not.

There are other options, such as a spinal cord stimulator (SCS) which you could discuss with your consultant. There’s lots of information here about the SCS, just search for SCS in the search box.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Jan at PainSupport

lc
    Participant

Hi Jane, As Jan says, Also we all have personal experiences and how we deal with them, what works for one person doesn’t mean it works for you. and it all depends on whether you can cope with your pain or not. but thats a discussion for yourself and your medical professions, but in my experience it is a 50/50 chance that fusion will work for you as with all surgery it comes with risks. this site is mainly people who have had failed surgery , but there are loads and some i know, that have had very good success rates and even gone back to work, but at the end of the day the choice is yours.
    At the top of this page there is Resources there is a bit about relationships, thats worth a read, and that Pain can cause rifts and frustration within a relationship and Pain relief which gives you alternative methods which you might like to try if you have not done so already. Hope you come to some decision soon and that you find a way to lower your pain levels. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.