BREATHWORKS MINDFULNESS FOR HEALTH ONLINE COURSE

Home Forums General BREATHWORKS MINDFULNESS FOR HEALTH ONLINE COURSE

This topic contains 34 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Helen H 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Helen H
    Participant

Hello everyone-

I am 1 week into what I think will be 12 weeks of studying the course in the title. As some of you may know, I have severe ME as well as constant chronic pain and also other chronic illnesses to manage.

The course is specifically aimed at those of us too sick to attend any kind of course, and can be done at your own pace. The cost was £55, but there are some bursaries too.

I am doing the course with the specific aim help me manage pain better, and I will be blogging about it as I go. This is the first Blog:

https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2019/01/may-i-be-well-may-i-be-happy-may-i-be.html

I will be happy to answer any questions anyone has. I hope the course will be helpful for me, and I am happy to pass on my experiences.
    Thx Helen.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Helen,

What a good idea. I do hope it works for you. Looking forward to hearing how it’s going!

All the best.

Annie x

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, Well Done To Taken this up, and blogging about your journey. I hope this helps you as much as mindfulness as helped me, and rediscover of yourself and learning new tools to help you cope and deal with all things that come with pain, even when in excruciating pain. Also to have a new understanding with Pain as it is like me, part of you.A new you, and your friend Pain,as you may find it is not always your enemy but a friend that helps you understand the meaning of life to you personally. As Annie says looking forward to reading your journey and experiences. Just be open to all experiences and feel them either good or bad as you may find you may get a bit emotional along the way, take it, feel it, put it into both hands,let it flutter away, and move on without judgement to yourself or others. If there is anything your not quite sure about let us know and I will try to help the best I can,others may also have answers as always on this site. Take Care and Best Wishes , Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Thanks Annie and Lee- Thank you for your support,

Best wishes Helen

Helen H
    Participant

This is Part 2 of my journey of doing the Mindfulness for Health Course.

https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2019/01/meet-my-lungs-mindfulness-4-health-pt-1.html

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, like your blog it made me laugh, Not at you, but with you, I suffer chronic asthma too, so that’s what i found funny, well if you don’t laugh we’ll cry.It is weird at first we breath automatically and never really notice what we are doing, now we focus on something you take for granted, and never thought of. there is no right or wrong in how you feel, it is something new you are experiencing. keep it up and keep trying eventually it will become relaxing, listening and focusing on just breathing like listening to the waves gently rolling in on the beach. Not many people focus fully and go through experiences on auto pilot, what your just experiencing is true focus on something, which your finding strange and maybe a bit weird.focus on your new experience (breathing ) with wonder and curiosity.embrace each experience you have. as next time it might not be the same as the first. so each time might be different depending on how you are that day . it’s a new experience each time, even though it’s the same thing your doing. Welcome to this new world you have found. keep it up as this is just the beginning. take care and best wishes. Lee

Helen H
    Participant

HI Lee

Thanks so much- yes, wonder and curiosity are the two things that little children have, but we often lose along the way. Despite not choosing to be sick and in pain, on a good day I feel as if my life has given me permission to get that back. Don’t worry, I finding laughing at myself is the way to stay sane in life…!!

It’s very true what you say about different days being really different. I try to take each session as it comes. My nerve pain is generally flared-up with the cold weather, so being kind to myself is top priority.

Will keep updating.

Take care
    Helen

Lorna5
    Participant

Well done I have recently started meditating again I used to do it all the time retreats everything but just when I should have done more because of the pain I stopped so relearning the habit day by day
    Really interested to read your experiences with breathworks I have the CD and a book living well with pain and illness but confess have used the CD but not read the book so keep blogging please
    Lorna

Helen H
    Participant

Thanks so much Lorna! I have been using that book for a couple of years, and found it really helpful. I think one of it’s strengths is the fact that Vidyamala lives with pain and really knows how hard it is
    Do you do guided meditations Lorna?

I am finding this course harder the more I do. The discipline of the meditations are really good, but we have moved on to Mindful Movement which is something I had not anticipated as being such a big part of this course.( I will write a blog about it next week)

This latest blog is about how my anxiety is reacting to so much meditations:
    https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2019/01/we-need-to-talk-about-colin-mindfulness.html

Helen

Helen H
    Participant

Lee- I just wanted to ask if you found emotions difficult to manage during your mindfulness course? I feel a lot angrier than usual ( and nothing big has happened), but if feels as if lots of frustration is coming to the surface.

This wasn’t helped by the Mindful movement causing a pain flare up pain being bad the whole week.
    Any tips?

Thanks Helen

lc
    Participant

Hi Helen, emotions I found at one stage, I was getting very tearful,where as before I was always very angry. it could be that your have stirred emotions within you that you may have not dealt with correctly and pushed deep into the back of your memory, and you may not know how to deal with them, so your getting frustrated which then turns to anger. Just let it out, then think why where you angry and let it go. as it is right now. and once you have looked at it as to why ect and what made you like that , then you can work on, ok that makes me angry at this moment in time, breath and calm down, then you can have a look at it as to why ect. and how you can change it for the better. something to work on in future so you recognize when it arises so you can calm down and not let your mind blow it all out of proportion.as your mind has a habit of running away with itself if you let it .also when calm and collected you can analyze it better and recognize it as a negative , which all negatives you can get a positive out of it all. It’s all about stepping out of a situation and looking at it before you act upon it and react to it. how you feel at a moment in time there is no right or wrong. because in the next moment it all changes.

With mindful movement if the movement causes you flare up every time . then stop. do something which you can cope with without causing this to happen you know your own body. you can do mindful movement with any movement that suits you. whether just walking, moving your arm up and down then do the other arm. whatever you want. there is no right or wrong, you can deviate from what they are asking you to do to suit your own and how you are that day . AS you might be able to do it one day but not the next. That’s chronic pain for you.
    Your doing ok I did say in an earlier post you might experience different emotions ,that’s OK. it’s all part of learning about yourself to do this correctly.
    Hope this helps somewhat .Keep it up and keep going your doing fine by the sounds of it, sorry to hear about the flare up. Hope you feeling a bit better soon. Take care and best wishes. Lee

lc
    Participant

Hi, forgot, you are just becoming more self aware of your self and your emotions that’s all it is, as it sounds like you have hidden a lot away , which in the long run is unhealthy, bring it all out and over time you will feel as if a big sack you’ve been carrying is know gone, and you will feel lighter. the way you think is beginning to shift. take care and best wishes. Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Thanks so much Lee. That is really helpful and encouraging. I did email them re the movement and they said as you did that I can do what I feel I am able at the time.

I am away with no internet next week, so I will continue with meditating to some guided meditations, but I won’t be checking in with the course.

Take care, and I will keep on keeping on.
    Helen

Helen H
    Participant

Here is my latest Blog update about the course.

https://thechronicelephant.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-old-elephant-learns-new-tricks.html

Happy reading

lc
    Participant

HI Helen, Great, well done Helen your getting to understand what real meditation is all about even when in great pain, it is a change of life in the way you think, not actually changing who you really are . you seemed to have grasped the mindful movement ,it is a difficult one to get through and understand especially when in pain . the more you practice the better you get with dealing with your physical self and eventually you will become happier and more accepting that this is who you are. every time you do mindful movement you get a greater understanding of how you are and over the months to come, will build up a picture that it all changes each day ,moment by moment. just take it for what it is, in that moment, feel it,look at it, move it to your cupped hands then let it flutter away. as you say now you understand when I say Practise.
    At first I done mindfulness 2-3 times a day for about 6 months and over time I found I dont do it as much, but still do it most days sometimes I miss a day or two , but as soon as a difficult situation comes up I meditate for about 40 mins until it is all sorted practically and mentally. some do it 2-4 times a day but shorter meditations like 10 minutes. either way it is your preference in what works for you there is no right or wrong about it. do all of the course then you can take the combination of bits that you are comfortable and happy with and what makes works for you. in what you wrote, it seems as though something clicked inside your head and you got it. I was a skeptic at first,but now know different. Take care and best wishes Helen I am Happy for you, that you took all this on, It is a game changer for your future happier life. Lee

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.