BBC DOCUMENTARY: Addicted to Pain Killers, With Michael Mosley

Home Forums General BBC DOCUMENTARY: Addicted to Pain Killers, With Michael Mosley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Helen H
    Participant

I didn’t watch this Horizon documentary when it was first shown, as I thought it would be the usual hysteria about opioids, but my husband then recommended it, and I found it interesting, and learnt a lot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000dbpf/horizon-2020-1-addicted-to-painkillers-britains-opioid-crisis

As we know, there are no easy answers to living with chronic pain, and Dr Moseley showed the situation from the side of Drs, those who find opioids essential to have any quality of life, and those who have become addicted. I found the comparison between different opioids very interesting.

I would be interested to know if anyone else watched it and what they thought.
    Helen

PaulT_99
    Participant

I watched it too, and ive been chatting to him a bit on Twitter as i did not entirely agree with his findings.
    He didnt even know about Tapentadol, or this forum !. Now he does.
    I went into SCS which i now have, again he was not even aware it was being used in the UK yet.

So not impressed on his research.

Laura
    Participant

Hi Helen,

I watched the programme and like you found it very interesting as I’ve been on opioids in the past but never found them any help in relieving my pain (and terrible side-effects). As I understood it, they suggested opioids don’t work for long term pain.

What was interesting is when the long term users got together and became less isolated. Isolation is a big problem to lots of people and this is where this forum contributes a great deal.

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Laura and Paul- I am a chronic pain sufferer- as is my husband. He has never found any pain relief that works, whereas I take Tramadol, paracetamols and Ibuprofen. For me Tramadol has been a game-changer…although I am very careful about how much I take, and take only when pain is really bad.

When I saw the group of pain sufferers, I immediately thought of this forum, and remembered how lonely and confused I was when I joined. I can imagine that without contact with fellow sufferers, anyone would find it very difficult to carve out a life. Like a lot of people, I didn’t know there was such a thing as chronic pain until I had it!

PaulT_99
    Participant

Hi Helen,

Tramadol seems to be one of those drugs, it either works for you or doesnt.
    For me it had zero effect on pain and just made me quite sick.
    Tapentadol is the only one thats worked for me.

Im back to using it again now in conjunction with my Nevro HF10 SCS implant.
    Just taking 1 tiny tablet in the morning, and again at night. With the 2 i have near as zero pain.

Lc
    Participant

Hi All, I have not watched the program, but can see the problem, and how easy it is for some people with addictive nature, can become addicted to certain things whether it is Prescription opiods, weed, or any others along that line, lsd’s ect, smoking or even alcohol,and adrenaline rushed rides, short term use and in moderation is fine , but it does not help people with long term pain needing something to dull the edge off of pain,to be able to live some sort of normal life, Personally I think drug companies need to invest in coming up with a non addictive minimal effects, drug for long term to life of pain patients, that has the strength to numb the pain we have. instead of making money off of the system that is in place at the moment, with a whole range of drugs for us to try and find one that works best for us as individuals. as these pharmaceutical companies are about profit they can make. don’t get me wrong as some medicines work really well for some and can cure a majority of patients with a whole range of illnesses. this is why personally I try to keep my meds to the minimum I can and use alternative ways to cope, so when I really need to get some relief from my pain it works better for me, for a couple of weeks then cut it back down to my minimum again. so over the years I have built up quite a high pain barrier so I’ve been told and most GP’s ect. agree with the way I use my meds, but at the end of the day , we are the ones that still suffer, and some like me still in constant pain.. At present time people like PaulT_99 is probably nearing the end of the line for treatment and all he can do now if still in pain is start back on the pills again. No offence Paul and Glad you are now in a better place with your pain, Take care ALL and best wishes, Lee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.