Bakers Cysts

Home Forums General Bakers Cysts

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lc 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Di
    Participant

I’ve had Bakers Cysts behind both knees since 1985. Normally one fills up then eventually leaks into my calf which is very painful. It lasts a week or so then disperses. Then maybe a month or so later,the other will fill up. This time however, neither of them has filled up into the usual big lump behind my knee, they are just leaking down my leg. I can’t bend my knees without bad pain but if I do manage then I can’t straighten the right one properly and have to hobble around with it partly bent. IF I force it to straighten it feels as if a ligament has twanged behind my knee. In the past they have offered to drain them with a needle but this time here isn’t a lump to drain. Any ideas?

lc
    Participant

Hi Di, AS you have had this problem for many years and problematic for you ,and take it you have had all other treatment like ice bags, anti inflammatory meds and pain killers, cortisoid injections. the last resort is surgery but it is quite a difficult one to get the cyst removed as they are mainly jelly if chronic symptoms. and if you have osteoarthritis in the knees, they could sort this out at the same time.If surgery is recommended it would probably be key hole surgery. May be you need to go back to GP and ask if you could get referred some where as you have had enough. It must be really painful if the cyst is leaking into your calf and understand it does disperse into your body over time. sorry thats all I can suggest is go back to GP. you probably know all this anyway. I hope it settles soon for you. take care and best wishes. Lee

Di
    Participant

Thanks. I’ve had them since 1985 but not as bad or persistent as this. On our honeymoon I drove the full length of the country without stopping; woke up next morning with a huge lump behind one knee because of sitting in the same position that long. I ended up on crutches for the week. About once a year they fill up and leak but the calf pain usually goes after about 2 weeks. It hasn’t this time. When I was sent for a scan a few years ago, he offered to d rain them there and then but it would only have lasted until they filled up again so I didn’t seethe point. When it’s just the calf pain I can cope but now something is definitely moving behind my right knee which is so painful I just can’t straighten or lock the knee. Never had steroid injections as I’m allergic to the main steroid they use. I doubt they would offer surgery after a heart attack, well not for this.

lc
    Participant

Hi Di, Blimey thats a long time to be suffering from that, I would have thought they would have done something well before now, also I would have thought they would have done surgery while you were still awake, as it’s not major surgery, also if you can tolerate being awake through it.
    Sounds as though something is not right,and going on , so I would advise you to see someone about it ie: GP. there is a wide range of drugs to keep you safe, during surgery even if you have had a heart attack,and allergic to some.
    Sorry I don’t know what else to suggest but defiantly see GP about it as you keep getting this, and if you have problems with arthritis as well in that same knee, as if they treated the arthritic knee, it could solve the bakers cyst at the same time.
    Hope you get it seen to soon, and your problem gets resolved,Let us know how you get on. as it would be one less thing playing on your mind. Take care and best wishes. Lee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.