Any good films…….?!

Home Forums General Any good films…….?!

This topic contains 112 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  lc 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner was on television last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056194/

Somehow I’d never seen it. Apparently some of the extras in the Borstal scenes were actual inmates, and I was amazed to find that Borstals were still in existence until 1982. I bet they were more brutal than the one depicted in the film, or perhaps I’m being unfair. James and Edward Fox appeared briefly as public schoolboys, and I think they probably were still at school at the time.

Well worth seeing, if a bit depressing.

dalhousie
    Participant

Has anyone seen the film at the pictures or watched the dvd of “Victoria & Abdul”???. I’m reading the book but might buy the dvd with some Amazon vouchers so wondered whether the film is a good watch. Hoping it’ll be worth buying with Judi Dench in it.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Dalhousie,

I’m looking forward to seeing that one too, but I’ll have to wait until it’s on TV, or when the DVD is released. Is the book a good read?

Annie x

dalhousie
    Participant

The book’s quite interesting, giving an insight into Victoria’s life. I’m reading the one by Shrabani Basu which is what the film is based on. The DVD’s isn’t available at the library yet so was thinking of buying it on Amazon.

It’s out now on DVD – £10 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075DL7JDP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

dalhousie
    Participant

I’m also looking forward to Darkest Hour coming out on dvd on 4 June with Gary Oldman playing Churchill. That’s had some good write ups. xx

anniekat
    Participant

Yes, that’s also one I’d like to see.

Christine
    Participant

I saw A Quiet Passion, Terence Davies’ film about Emily Dickinson recently. I like films in which not much happens, or appears to happen, so this was a “me” sort of film!! She was a very eccentric person, though that doesn’t begin to describe the situation.

He is working on a film about Siegfried Sassoon, but I haven’t found any details.

dalhousie
    Participant

Anniekat – Loving Vincent is another dvd I’d like to see about the life of Vincent Van Gogh with the lovely Aidan Turner and Helen McCory x

lc
    Participant

Hi All, my son wanted to watch a film the other day and while searching for one pulled out “Roots” forgot i had it.used to be a series years ago on TV i got the complete lot.
    if you like 12 years a slave you will like this.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Lee,
    I enjoyed Twelve Years a Slave and I’m sure I watched Roots years ago. Both good films.
    Annie x

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Christine,

I’ve ordered A Quiet Passion from Amazon. It’s really cheap now.

Annie x

dalhousie
    Participant

Hi Christine – Just watched the You tube trailer of A Quiet Passion. I like a good period drama so I ordered it at the library.

Christine
    Participant

I hope you both like it! It has its funny moments, though a sad story in the end.

Christine

dalhousie
    Participant

Sorry to hear it has a sad ending but you can’t have a happy ever after all the time!

Christine
    Participant

Is anyone going to see The Little Stranger? It’s a sort of ghost story set in the 1950s, based on a very good book by Sarah Waters.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.