Any good films…….?!

Home Forums General Any good films…….?!

This topic contains 112 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  lc 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

What a shame. So you have to rely on DVDs or films shown on television.

Christine

Helen H
    Participant

Hi

We watched ‘Hail Ceasar!’ tonight and even my husband,( who was feeling rough, and is not a big fan of the Coens), absolutely loved it.

It is laugh out loud funny. There are multiple story lines and many actors recreating different genres of 1950’s film eg. cowboy, sword and sandals epic, musical and drawing room comedy.

A good film for when you need a pick me up, or just some very enjoyable escapism.
    Hx

anniekat
    Participant

I still rely on DVDs rather than streaming!

I haven’t been able to get to the cinema for years, so I have to be patient and wait for the DVD.

X

Christine
    Participant

BBC2 is showing “The Invisible Woman” at 9.00 this evening.

http://bbc.in/2e5E8Az

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Christine,

I’ve recorded it as it ended way past my bedtime! Have you seen it and did you enjoy it?

Annie x

Christine
    Participant

I did see it. It was the affair between Dickens and Ellen Ternan from her point of view mainly, and I felt out of sympathy with both of them! I’m not sure why.
    But it was well done, and the sets and costumes were very good.

Christine

anniekat
    Participant

Look forward to watching it. Good for a wet winter’s afternoon! X

Christine
    Participant

I think so! The right beard and hair on any actor will make him resemble Dickens 🙂

Yesterday Talking Pictures TV showed “Seance On A Wet Afternoon”

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058557/

which was really good. It’s being shown at least once again, next month I think. The channel puts on a lot of weird stuff as well as films like this. I believe the whole film is available on YouTube as well.

Christine

Helen H
    Participant

Anyone else looking forward to the new Tom Ford directed Movie: Nocturnal Animals? I really enjoyed the measured and moody pace of ‘A Single Man’.

We watched ‘Million dollar arm’ on Saturday, which was a pleasing family film ( in a good way) based on the true story of a sports promoter who goes to India to set up a competition to find the next baseball talent. It also has John Hamm 🙂

Helen x

lc
    Participant

Hi all, earlier in these posts it was mentioned if anyone seen girl on a train well yes went to see it last night quite a long film had Tens machine on and pain killers with me but glad i went i thought it was a good film twisty towards the end I shall not mention much about it but thought it was well worth watching.

Christine
    Participant

Glad you liked it, lc. Didn’t they move the action to America?

Christine

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Christine,

Yes they did, so my friends tell me. Surely that would spoil the atmosphere a bit. I pictured the railway track running at the end of Edwardian gardens! But I’ll still watch the DVD when it comes out.

Annie x

ian frangleton
    Participant

I can, and do, watch many different types of films from action to romance. Last night I finally got to watch “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”, a truly magnificent film on the life of one of the most incredible men in the history of the World.

anniekat
    Participant

Hi Ian,

Yes, a great film. A great man.

Annie x

lc
    Participant

Hi All, 12 years a slave is a good one to watch simarler to Roots thats good.would like to see that mandela: long walk to freedom sounds good. Take care all ,Lee

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.