Any good films…….?!

Home Forums General Any good films…….?!

This topic contains 112 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  lc 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Helen H
    Participant

Great suggestions!

I would like to say a few words of praise for Youtube. I have watched a load of great vintage tv series during flare-ups, without having to stump up for a boxset or trek to the library. When really poorly, I find episodes easier to concentrate on than a whole film.

Favourites have included Lillie( about the life of Lillie Langtry), the whole of Upstairs Downstairs, Berkeley Square, Clayhanger ( excellent and based on an Arnold Bennett book), When the Boat Comes in, The Beiderbecke Affair and Edward V11.

Helen

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  Helen H.

Christine
    Participant

Clayhanger and When the Boat Comes in are brilliant (I did buy the sets!)

Sunset Song, which was shown on the BBC in 1970-something, is available on Youtube, though the technical quality is a bit ropey, and the events very grim. Does any one remember it, by the way? I had a very vague memory of seeing it at the time, but found that I’d totally misunderstood two plot points.

You’ve reminded me, Helen, of a series called Edward and Mrs Simpson which would also have been in the ’70s, I think.

Christine

anniekat
    Participant

If you like horses – Icelandic ones in particular,Iceland and very quirky films, watch Of Horses and Men! X

Christine
    Participant

Ones I’d like to see:

The Lady in the Van (Alan Bennett – my hero!)

Brooklyn (a girl from 1950s provincial Ireland goes to America)

Radiator (a man trying to help his elderly parents) though I’m not sure what kind of release it’s getting.

Christine

Laura
    Participant

The Lady in the Van will be fantastic with Maggie Smith,Christine. I saw the play in London some years ago and it was great fun. The film doesn’t arrive at our local cinema until the end of December but it’s nice to have it to look forward to.

Brooklyn looks good too, I’ve read the book.

I’m now off to look up Radiator as haven’t heard of that one.

Take care x

Christine
    Participant

Just back from The Lady In The Van. It was very good, especially if you like Alan Bennett!! I heard it on the radio a few years ago but haven’t seen it on stage. A lot of The History Boys crowd are in it in small roles.

I got a bit obsessed with Brooklyn, reading the book and then listening to an adaptation on Radio 4 Extra, which has some very interesting stuff.

Christine

Helen H
    Participant

Hi

I just wondered if any of you have seen the film ‘Cake’ with Jennifer Aniston as a chronic pain sufferer?

I found her performance and some of her experiences to be very accurate…She is almost unrecognisable.

Christine
    Participant

I haven’t seen that one but read something about it.

Helen H
    Participant

I think the two things that resonated with me were her desperation every time her pain meds wore off, and the patronising attitude of her medics.

At one point she goes for some therapy in the pool and the physio basically implies that as she hasn’t improved in 6 months, then she probably doesn’t want to get well.

I was having a flare-up when I watched it and was amused to see we were dressed the same ( long loose pain-friendly clothes)and she had my unwashed hair too….

I think it might be a good film to show people how constant pain feels.

My only criticism would be the end…which I won’t spoil!

anniekat
    Participant

I think this film has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I’m intrigued, so I’ve just ordered a copy for myself – then I’ll donate it to my local library who don’t seem to have a copy! Annie x

anniekat
    Participant

As I was in so much pain today (changing from one drug to another), I watched Cake. Jenifer Aniston was brilliant, but I don’t think I was really in the right mood for it. But I kind of enjoyed it!

I agree with Helen, loose clothing and unwashed hair. Know the feeling.

Yes, the end was a bit sudden.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by  anniekat.

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Annie

I watched it during a flare-up too! Thought her performance was spot on,and the nature of chronic pain was portrayed convincingly.

I felt the end ( with the car seat) kind of implied all she had to do was make more effort and want to be better…when as we know how much we suffer pain is not purely a matter of having a positive attitude ( if only!).

Hope the breakthrough pain subsides soonest 🙂

Helen x

anniekat
    Participant

Quite agree, Helen, if only. Just sometimes I’m not my usual optimistic self!

X

Christine
    Participant

Saw “Accident” last night (recorded from the Talking Pictures channel, which shows all sorts.) This is the link at the imdb

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061328/

I found it quite disturbing, though I’d seen it years ago on television but then was too young (perhaps!) to get all the nuances and things unspoken. Dirk Bogarde plays an Oxford professor of philosophy. It’s quite slow-moving though there is a catastrophe at the heart of it. The screenplay is by Harold Pinter, who makes a brief appearance.

Christine

Laura
    Participant

I went to see Dad’s Army yesterday….. I love the original programmes still on TV on Saturdays even after all these years. I knew the new film wouldn’t be comparable to the original cast but I still chuckled throughout and one very laugh out loud moment to do with kilts! We’re doomed!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.