Any good films…….?!

Home Forums General Any good films…….?!

This topic contains 112 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  lc 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author

Christine
    Participant

Another Michael Redgrave one, “The Captive Heart,” which we recorded recently. He did restraint so well.

We have a Powell and Pressburger collection. “The Red Shoes” is fabulous.

As you can tell, I prefer old films!

A great thread!

Christine

rdolly
    Participant

Favourite films, Stand By Me, Shawshank Redemption, Jumping Jack flash, and of course It’s A Wonderful Life

Christine
    Participant

The (very melodramatic) trailer for Victim:

Christine

Laura
    Participant

Christine, I too love the film The Red Shoes, one of my all time favourites.

Christine
    Participant

I first saw it on television when very young, Laura, and found it very frightening, though I’m not quite sure why.

As you get older, you notice different things about it.

Phil McCheddar
    Participant

I recently watched the film “Molokai: The Story of Father Damien” about a 19th century priest who volunteered to go to an island in the Pacific Ocean to console and care for the lepers. It is based on a true story. It’s a very moving and inspiring film. The actor playing the role of the priest was superb. Other actors include Leo McKern and Peter O’Toole. The customer reviews on Amazon generally recommend it very highly.

Christine
    Participant

I hadn’t heard of that one, but will look out for it.

The other day we went to see “45 Years,” which is very good and very subtle. It’s about a couple (Tom Courtenay and Charlotte Rampling) who are about to celebrate their 45th anniversry, when something happens…

Christine

anniekat
    Participant

I enjoyed Testament of Youth, which is the true story of Vera Britain during WW1.

Phil and Christine – I’ll put those on my wish list!

Annie x

Christine
    Participant

Not a film, but a television series (is this allowed?), which we’ve just seen on DVD, “Takin’ Over the Asylum,” which was on the BBC in 1994. Ken Stott, David Tennant and Katy Murphy play three of the characters. Set in Glasgow, it’s about a man who is a not very good double glazing salesman but whose passion is radio, and who is a hospital radio DJ.

Very topical now, with the NHS mental health budget suffering.

Laura
    Participant

Hi Christine, I’ve heard good reports about the 45 years so am going next week although our theatre seats are terrible! I’ve noted the DVD with Ken Stott in, sounds interesting.

I’ve also just recently seen Love & Mercy the excellent film about Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys, based on the true story.

Christine
    Participant

I hadn’t heard of that one Laura, but have just looked it up. Brian Wilson had quite a life; it sounds interesting.

Laura
    Participant

I saw the film 45 Years today…. I thought it was very interesting in a very subtle way (as Christine mentions above) but the ending was so sudden I wasn’t expecting it!

Excellent acting as you’d expect from such wonderful actors and the film isn’t too long so managed the sitting just about ok.

Christine
    Participant

Glad you liked it, Laura. It was a sudden ending, and you had to wonder what happened after the end, if you see what I mean. We had 25 minutes of trailers!

We recorded Millions Like Us the other day, which is a wartime film (1940-something), about an “ordinary” family. One of the daughters is called up to work in a factory, where she meets a lot of other girls from different backgrounds. It’s kind of semi-documentary, with many realistic scenes in the factory and so on. We’ve seen half of it.

Christine

Laura
    Participant

Christine, I always ask what time the big picture starts as hate sitting thru the ads!

Talking about 45 Years on the way home my husband put forward his theory as to ‘what happened next’ and so did I, very thought-provoking.

I love Millions Like Us, fab film, seen it countless times.

Christine
    Participant

I tried to put myself in the position of my parents, who were in their early 20s in 1943.

What puzzled me was Celia being sent away to a distant factory. My mother was called up to do similar work, but the factory was literally round the corner. But it was in Birmingham, and there were factories everywhere.

Christine

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.