alternatives

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    karl
    Participant

my wife got diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year as she has been suffering with nerve and muscle pain to the point that she can’t move from the bed. so far the doctors have given her amitriptyline but so far this has had little effect, I was wondering if people have tried CBD products and have you seen any improvement?, so far she has tried the balm and has seen some relief. I’m curious if anyone else has tried it.

Lc
    Participant

Hi Karl, personally the CBD didnt work for me after a friend who uses it let me try it, she gets hers from spain as we have friends out there.this was a spray under the tongue type.. but there is different strengths and can be quite expensive, the dosage in this country is quite low and for some it doesn’t work but do know people that have tried it and it works great for them whether this is a placebo effect or not I don’t know. but worth a try and if it works great but would start off low and build it up to a point where it does work for her if it’s going to work.
    If you type this in the search forums box it will come up with all posts on CBD and if you type fibromyalgia it to will bring you to other posts. so you can get a better idea if your wife would like to try it. I think its worth a go anyway. Amytriptyline is the only nerve drug I can take as others either dont work or i had very bad side effects and couldnt tolerate /had adverse reactions to it. but another one is Gabapentin for some this works great, but what works for some doesnt mean it works for someone else we are all different to what meds and alternative methods work for us as individuals. let us know how your wife gets on if she decides to try it. Take care and best wishes, Lee

karl
    Participant

I’ve done a lot of research during this lock down and have been amazed at some of the research I’ve read. up until now I’ve been quite ignorant about the entire CBD usages, my wife is going to try it as at this point she’s hopping for any kind of result no matter how small

Lc
    Participant

Hi Karl, try looking in the search forums, as there is others on here that have fibromyalgia you would then get a better idea of how they cope,but at the end of the day nerve pain and chronic pain is all the same whether by injury or illnesses and it’s how personally we deal and cope with it. many of us on this site have been round the system and tried most drugs, including myself and been living with nerve dammage/pain, chronic persistent pain for 23+ years and been on some real heavy stuff but now live on the minimum of meds I can, and use a Tens ,meditation /relaxation/distraction methods to cope because the only thing that will take my pain away, so been told by pain clinic is to be anesthetized from waist down which they wont do because it is un ethical and would be totally paralyzed along with other problems. and it’s a case of finding what works best for yourself as an individual.but it’s all worth a go to see what methods/meds work best. take care and best wishes, Lee

Helen H
    Participant

Hi Karl-
    I have ME, and chronic pain. I have tried CBD, and i tried the best quality i could afford. I gave it a good try, but it didn’t have any impact on pain. Meditating every day has had a much more significant effect for me, and was relatively inexpensive. I did the Self-paced online course for pain and illness,from Breathworks, and it was really good in helping me cope.

I have tried a lot of medication, and I find Amitriptyline helps with sleep, and i use Tramadol, and paracetamols, as well as anti-depressants.I am physically quite limited in what i can do but the quality of my life is good. .
    Has your wife got referred to a pain clinic?

It is hard to adapt, but having a routine is really important, as is finding things you can enjoy, like crafts, music, or Nature….and finding other people who share the same condition and understand what she is going through. I am sure there are other folk on here who have fybro.

Take care
    Helen

Lc
    Participant

Hi Karl, with long term pain and over time people become depressed,the counselling never really helped only to a point but CBT(cognitive behavioral therapy )1-1 and Mindfulness course that I done were the 2 things that really helped me,along with what I learnt at pain management are all tools that can be used to help cope and deal with pain, as with Helen found out. and like many do things that we can manage like art crafts ect. and gentle stretching exercises when you can. like swimming is good but it’s hard at moment with what’s going on. take care and best wishes , Lee .

karl
    Participant

thanks for all the responses, my wife does do art but at times struggles to hold a pencil, she also like gardening but at time she is not able to do this.
    She has been referred to a pain clinic but with the lock down that is on the back burner. the reason I was asking about CBD is because of all the articles I’ve read regarding its pain relief and anti inflammatory properties, I was wondering if people who have tried it have seen any of these benefits.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.