PLantar Fasiitis

Home Forums General PLantar Fasiitis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    organiclemon
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone had had successful treatment for plantar fassitis? What treatment you had and how long it took to get better.
    I am currently having prolotherapy injections and wondered what else had helped anyone experiencing ts very debilitating pain in terms of treatment,
    thanks
    Fenella

Christine
    Participant

I think sometimes people need orthotics for this – have you been advised about that?
    Christine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

goodtoknow says: Plantar fascilitis causes pain in the heel of your foot and is fairly common in women over 40. Wearing high heels or shoes without enough cushioning are the main triggers. Walking a lot when you’re not used to it and being overweight also contribute. Help yourself if you have plantar fascilitis by resting your feet and wearing heel pads. Paracetomol and ibubrofen will help too. Steriod injections may be advised if the pain is severe. Most cases of Plantar fascilitis gradually ease and disappear. A chiropodist can advise you how to prevent it happening again.
    For a full medical explanation of the causes, symptoms and treatments of plantar fasciitis from patient.co.uk, read on.
    Plantar fasciitis causes pain under the heel. It usually goes in time. Treatment speeds up recovery. Treatment includes rest, good footwear, heel pads, painkillers, and exercises. A steroid injection or other treatments may be used in more severe cases.
    What is Plantar fasciitis?
    Plantar fasciitis means inflammation of the plantar fascia. The plantar fascia is a strong band of tissue (similar to a ligament) that stretches from the heel to the middle bones of the foot. It supports the arch of the foot. Small injuries to the plantar fascia can cause inflammation and symptoms. The injury is usually near to where it attaches to the heel bone.

Laura
    Participant

Hi,
    I have had plantar off and on for some years and am having a lot of pain at the moment in my right foot. I have been referred to a NHS podiatrist who has made insoles which I’m trying out for a month. Still have a lot of pain under the whole of my foot, plus tendon pain along the knobbly bones on the inside of the foot. Podiatrist says only insoles make a difference – I’ve yet to feel any I’m afraid. Hope you get some relief soon.

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

I have severe under the heel pain but it is from S1, sciatica. Has this definitely been diagnosed as plantar fasciitis as I know you have back problems too?

Excruiating, whatever the cause! You have my sympathy.
    Jan

organiclemon
    Participant

Thanks for replies.Pain is v severe and needs far mre than ibuprofen and paracetamol.I have had to up the tramadol now to max dose. Steroid injection was not advised as it ,masks pain rather than cure it ad has a very weak evidence base . I have been having prolotherapy injections which is a sclerosant which aim to repair the damaged tissue.Initially the first month is the worst as inflammation goes up then technically supposed to settle-right now I am not sure what will happen hence asking……I got this as a sports injury-v comon in athletes.
    I have had this diagnosed by Dr Adam Ward the musculoskeletal med consultant at homoeopathic hospital and an independent osteopath. It is excruciating in one spot in my heel and aggravates my neuropathic pain. I amin agony with prolo injections. However Dr Ward said should be better in a few months. At moment I am hobbling. I do have the S1 itchiness and pain in left foot-this is in my right foot!

organiclemon
    Participant

Thanks Chistine

I have special shoes with orthotics built in already because of peripheral neuropathy in feet and have been told they are perfect however that will just prevent the arch falling again rather than the pain itself.

Deb
    Participant

I have had planter fascitis three times always in the same foot and always from new shoes which I have the had to stop wearing and give away!

I must have been lucky as I only had the excruitiating pain when I walked butas long as not standing up no pain – I certainly never suffered with pain like you are describing.

I found that the best treatment was by a physio who just massaged my foot in the very painful spot once a week for three weeks and then it went away. I had been hobbling about for 6 months prior to this. She showed me what to do if I got it again and it worked. I did find that the massaging didn’t work until I had had the condition for about 12 weeks then it would work brilliantly.

If you are in pain when you foot is not on the floor I would be very suspicious that it is not planter fascititis.

Christine
    Participant

I also have orthotics which I’ve been told are perfect – but which are now having no effect on the pain, and like you, the pain is there whether I’m on my feet or not – though it worsens when walking.

The other day the osteopath did some treatment to the bottom of my back, as had been mentioned here by a couple of people (so thanks to them) and did acupuncture as well in the feet. So far not much difference.

I have this extreme sensitivity to medication, so what I am going to try now is max dose of paracetemol and aspirin. Help!!

Does any one else find orthotics an absolute nightmare when it come to shoes?

Christine
    Participant

PS what I meant to say was I can’t tolerate anything stronger than paracetemol/aspirin/Nurofen.

Jane
    Spectator

Dear all,

My husband has a tendency to plantar fasciitis as an ageing/running injury, so everyone with it has my sympathy. He saw a physiotherapist and podiatrist who supplied him with painful massage, exercises which he did with a varying commitment (depending on the current state of pain and his running aspirations!) and insoles or something sim to support his drooping arches, which took quite a few tries to get right and have to be rechecked every now and then.

organiclemon
    Participant

Jane did your husband find that the massage was worth the pain?

Fenella

Di
    Participant

Good grief, now I know what I had about 20 years ago. I was living alone in a flat and couldn’t put any weight on either of my feet at all. I was shuffling around on my bottom for months; couldn’t even use crutches. Parents had to come and rescue me and literally carry me to their car. It’s a long time ago but I think I was treated with anti inflammatories. Doctor never did give it a name but it was identical to what you describe. I was an athlete too- high jump and long jump which puts heavy pressure on your heels.

Jane
    Spectator

Fenella, all the things I mentioned did help my husband, but he did not have it terribly badly (I think) and the key was Being Sensible. I.e. listening to his fit but 59 year old body rather than ploughing into a 13 mile race to prove some kind of point. The podiatrist was a great help to him, and the massage too, although as you say it was agony at the time. For him it seems to be a recurring problem, to do with his feet becoming flatter as he gets older (happens to a lot of the population that are long term runners, ie not us, eventually they turn to cycling as he is…)

I suspect it depends on the expertise of the physio or whoever is doing the massage, and how long they suggest trying it before deciding that it doesn’t work. I saw the same physio and it was clear in a few sessions that she (or physio) couldn’t help me.

V best of luck, Jane

janbjan
    Participant

Hi All
    Just a suggestion to all who has problems with footwear due to painful feet. Have you tried flyflots. I wear nothing else the comfort they give is amazing the mould to the shape of your feet.And have squiggy soles so you don’t fell any vibration in your feet when walking you have your very own shock absorbes. Plus the good thing is they don’t cost the earth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.