Cleaning your teeth and back pain

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Cleaning your teeth and back pain

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I hope you don’t mind me bringing this topic to the top of the discussion forum again – I know brushing teeth is a major problem when you cannot lean forwards over the washbasin. I have been re-reading some topics that have now found their way to the bottom of the `pile`. I am sure since it was first discussed, many more people will also be having problems and wondering what good advice others have to offer.
    I thought the coping strategies by other members who contributed to this discussion, were excellent and I have since put them into practice.

Sheila UK

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I visit my aunt and uncle, who do not have a shower attachment, I use a 1litre plastic jug and just sit upright in the bath and pour the water over my head……….this is to wash my hair by the way, not to brush my teeth!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for bringing this up Sheila. Since my op I’m having to relearn lots of things, especially not to bend forward. Maybe now I won’t have food, toothpaste etc. stains on all my clothes! Washing face I have resigned myself to do with a flannel instead of splashing water over it as I used to. And getting better at writing without leaning forward – a real challenge if I got engrossed in what I was saying!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I saw some really nice cute small solid wooden bathroom stools in John Lewis that appealed. Not been in since to buy one but really would like one -seems perfect for small bathroom.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To wash my teeth I use a glass of water and “aim” at the sink.
    I have a stool in the shower (only time I can use a bath is when my boyfriends there to help me) so that I can wash without fear of falling over / not being able to stand up for longer than ten minutes unsupported.
    I am just about mastering the washing up (and food prep) by putting a bowel of water on the kitchen table and washing up whilst sitting down (lots of tea towels required!)

All I need to do is learn how to educate the milkman into putting the milk on the platform provided (i.e. NOT the floor) and I’m all set for world domination!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if any other people can help here, because I am sure I have seen milk bottle holders that hold 4 pints of milk, and the crates have a very long handle, almost waist high.

I will continue to try and find out where I have seen them advertised. My first guess is either the Kleeneze catalogue or Betterware, but I don’t have one of those catalogues to hand at the moment. I will look in the Chester Care catalogue as well.

It would still be down to the milkman though to fathom out that the bottles need to go into the appropriate `holder`. Nuff said!

Sheila.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just had a quick browse and found this website

http://www.westons.com

And then look for milk bottle holder with long handle.

Hope it helps others too who have difficulty in bending down.

Sheila.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is also a similar product on

http://www.homecraftabilityone.com

Type in Ref. No. AA5382 to see picture of long handled milk bottle holder.

Sheila.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This may help some of us, I have bought a flip down seat from a bathroom fitters ( the sort that are fitted into showers sometimes, and fitted it to the wall of my small bathroom so I can sit and wash, clean my teeth etc and I use the mug method and an elecric toothbrush with a towel around the neck to catch any dribbles.
    I also have invested in a bath board which goes across the bath, theres various types, models etc (sometimes you can use a plastic garden stool or foot rest but make sure its safe and wont slip) and I sit with my back to the taps having turned them on to the right temp before sitting sideways on the board and swivelling my legs ( or getting help on bad days) over and into the bath. I soak my feet in a seperate bowl of water with gorgeous oils in it and I just sit under the shower head and have my wash. It doesn’t substitute a lovely soak in the bath but the warm water pouring on to my back is just as lovely. I can wash my hair and rinse it easily and smother myself in lovely bubbles with those fluffy net flannel thingys and I also use a back strap washer from the Body Shop which is a textured strip with handles on each end.
    If you are under an OT , you can often be assessed for perching stools and bath boards and seats etc free of charge.
    Make sure everything you need is to hand, towels, shampoo etc so no stretching or twisting and wrap up warm after and go and rest whilst your muscles are soft and pliable and maybe do one of Jans relaxation or visualisation tapes.
    I’ve been told to do only tiny gentle stretches and not too over exercise or rush into activities after a bath as you must let the muscles cool down.

david
    Participant

I shower sit on a stainless steel bar stool (seat made of PVC)and also clean my teeth in the shower using a electric tooth brush, to date I have no problems at all, in fact if you let the shower blast your front teeth it removes everything from the gaps between, which according to my dentist has made a big difference from the last couple of visits, when he had to scrape between the bottom front, now no need, clean as a whistle!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

David I like that idea of cleaning your teeth in the shower like a big water pick! I noticed in another post that Milk is delivered wow they haven’t done that over here since I was a little girl about 40 years ago. I’m impressed.I need to take a hot shower every morning because I feel better all over and I don’t have to lean over the sink to wash. I was cleaning my teeth once a long time ago and when I straightened up all the muscles in my whole back went into a spasum so I am more careful now how I bend, but really there was nothing I did any different than any other time so if it’s going to happen then it’s going to happen I guess.

JulieJulie

Barbs
    Participant

Anyone with SI joint dysfunction. I read something on the net which said no matter how much you tone your buttocks you cannot stabalise the SI joint. However, if you clench your buttocks and stand with your legs slightly apart, suck in your pelvic floor and belly button, you can do the washing up without too much discomfort! It takes a lot of concentration but you slowly get used to it.

Barbs

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.