Cleaning your teeth and back pain

Home Forums General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable) Cleaning your teeth and back pain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi folk – I have a real bad back problem and find a simple thing like cleaning my teeth extremely difficult because bending hurts me – any ideas, anyone, on how to clean my teeth without having to bend over the wash basin?
    It sounds a minor problem but I just don’t know what to do about it!
    Hugs to you all
    Cassie

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Cassie, I know what you mean, it can the simplist things that cause the most problems. I am lucky that our toilet is right beside the sink so I can sit there and clean my teeth without bending. Good luck! Sara xxx

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cassie,
    It’s so easy i sit on a bathroom chair and clean my teeth.In fact i have’nt showered for 10 weeks today and have to wash sitting down at the wash basin.I fell and gashed my shin on my left leg that is why i have’nt showered.It’s amazing what you do when you have to!!
    Keep brushing merrily.
    Keep smiling,
    Baron.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for your tip, Baron. I only have a small bathroom but I can get someone to put a chair there for me I guess then take it away again. I never thought of that, so thanks for a great idea! it was getting me down.
    Hugs, Cass

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,
    Yes, have had same problem. If standing at the sink, even kitchen sink to do dishes, it has helped to relieve back strain if I open the cupboard door & put one foot on the self floor, it helps to be in “pelvic tilt”. Another way to brush your teeth & avoid the problem of a forward bend is to brush your teeth standing up in the shower.
    This problem with a forward bend effected other activities for me which I learn to overcome. Especially interesting on the other topic of hydro-therapy. I cannot increase fitness levels on a stationary bike, (like at physio), because it too is a “forward bend”, I am able to progress at physio however using a “recumbent’ bike. In the water this inability to bend forward, means I am unable to swim, (without aggrivating back condition), due to the arch at my waist. But I can use a “water noodle”, & sit (in the water), & peddle, without the arch in my back bending forward.It is rounded forward rather than arched, which relieves rather than agrigates symptomes. I do hope that it is clear what I have said.
    Cheers Pam

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a technique that I learned for brushing my teeth on a campsite when you don’t have nice runing water and sinks. It sounds a little gross, but trust me it isn’t that bad. You fill up a cup half way with water and hold it in your hand. When you are brushing you spit out into the cup, so you can hold it up just under your chin. When you are done, pour out the water and rinse then either get fresh water or a fresh cup to rinse out, again spit out back into the cup and then you just throw the water away somewhere.

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

What a brilliant idea! I also have problems with teeth cleaning and bending so I will definitely try this method.
    Thanks again.
    Jan at PainSupport

Anonymous
    Inactive

I clean my teeth standing bolt upright. When I have finished brushing with toothpaste I then fill my mouth with water, give it a good swish round and then aim for the sink and spit!! I’ve got it down to a fine art now and barely splash toothpaste anywhere other than straight into the sink. Practice makes perfect! All I have to bend is my neck for a couple of seconds.
    MY MAJOR PROBLEM IS WASHING MY HAIR!!
    Anyone have any good ideas about this. I have Fibromyalgia and bad back pain. I don’t have a shower unit and have to wash my hair using a spray attachment on the bath taps. I find kneeling by the bath and just bending my neck over the bath is the best I have come up with. Unfortunately, having fibromyalgia, I find that raising my hand/arm to hold the shower head up for more than a minute or so is exhausting. Unfortunately I can’t afford to go the a hairdresser every week and when I do (about once a year for a hair cut) bending my neck backwards (you sit in a chair and bend your head backwards into the sink) sets of my jaw/face pain.
    All tips more than welcome.
    Love
    Josette

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, it is the small things that we all take for granted that are the most painful and frustrating as we all know!
    Try using a bowl on the draining board to wash and clean your teeth. Also instead of having the bowl in the sink to wash up the dishes try the same method, it is much better as you do not have to lean over/tilt.
    take care.
    j.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you all for all your support and ideas. I’m glad I’m not the only one with the problem! I was taught to do the washing up with the cupboard door underneath open and to put one foot up on the bottom shelf, this means you can get closer to the bowl and gives your back a slight pelvic tilt which is supposed to be good for it. It doesn’t work for all kitchen units, depends on the design, I think.
    Love to all of you.
    Cass

Anonymous
    Inactive

Josette I really sympathise – I have a bad back and I can only wash my hair in the shower. It’s amazing how many simple things are a problem that you just wouldn’t think about! Also have probs brushing my teeth but there’s some great ideas here so thanks all!
    I’ve been told several times that having a bath really helps your back, and I can see why but does anyone else find that getting out afterwards is a problem – and completely defeats the point as you end up aching again! I’m quite tall and can’t find any way to lay in the bath comfortably anyway which is annoying as I’m not too good standing in the shower for very long either! – does anyone else find this?!

Anonymous
    Inactive

yep – i can no longer use the bath because its so painful getting in & down and then up & out again
    We only have an overbath showerspray so that causes pain too as i still have to lift my legs up over the side of the bath to use it.

Anne
    Participant

Hello

Does anybody have problems washing their face aswell? By the time I have cleaned my teeth and washed my face I am soaking! Thanks for all the tips

Take care
    Anne

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear All,
    I have the same problems with baths. I keep hearing how helpful it is to have a long hot soak in a bath with essential oils etc. I wish! If I can get into the bath I can’t get out, once my partner (who has a bad back) has managed to drag me out of the bath both of us are in pain for days! I can’t afford to have a walk-in bath installed, so I have to manage as best I can with washing the bits I can reach and help from my partner and, no, I don’t stink!! There is a shower in my bathroom but it doesn’t work and I can’t afford to get it fixed!
    Love
    Josette

Barry
    Participant

I had a period when I was having problems with my teeth & gums – probably my age ! I saw an advertisement for Sonicare several years ago and decided to ‘give it a go’ – expensive, but I was sick of tooth-ache, sore gums and large teeth falling out! After 2 or 3 weeks the gums were back to normal, loose teeth had tightened and they were certainly cleaner. Sonicare have now been taken over by Phillips and there are a number of models available ( removable heads so partners can share is a big plus ) Sainsburys are selling a model for £59.99 – the cheapest I’ve found on the net is £15 more, but not sure if its the same model.
    The point of this long-winded story ? Well, apart from recommending a method to improve your teeth and gums – you don’t have to scrub ( which probably aggravates any back-ache ! ) No, as long as you can raise your hand to your mouth you can clean your teeth without effort – and use the afore-mentioned half-cup method to clear your mouth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘General Forum (now closed, but readable and searchable)’ is closed to new topics and replies.