sneezing properlywithout doing your back in

Home Forums General sneezing properlywithout doing your back in

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I know everybody sneezes from time to time but being a hayfever sufferer and having a prolapsed disc +2 others on the way doesn’t help matters.
    It was last monday morning, i knew i was going to sneeze so i grabbed hold of the dinner table and sneezed,my brain instantly told me”paul your backs gone into severe spasm”sure enough i collapased to floor and thought oh no not again.i made it to the doctors with the help of a few very nice nurses, had a voltarol injection and now two weeks later i am much better!
    My question is:does anyone know how to sneeze properly without doing your back in?

Jan Sadler
    Keymaster

Yes, this can be a real difficulty for those with back pain, coughing also.

So, if you feel a sneeze or cough coming, you can first of all try closing your mouth and breathing very deeply and slowly, sometimes this will prevent a sneeze or cough from developing.

If this doesn’t work, tighten your abdominal muscles as hard as you can, pulling everything up, in and backwards towards your spine. Include your pelvic floor if you can (as though you were stopping yourself urinating). This will help to protect your back. This exercise should really be done by everyone a few times every day, whether or not you have back pain! Strong abdominal muscles help to protect your back.

Good luck
    Jan at PainSupport

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Paul – oooo how i sympathise – i too have prolapsed discs and others on the way out and know exactly what you mean. Is bad enough with the usual occasional sneeze and cough but for those with hayfever – ouch!

Jan – your advice is very helpful – i didnt know there was a way to lessen the impact on your back when coughing or sneezing – i shall try and remember next time i feel one coming on. thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

I get this. I call it “getting a sneeze from a long way off”. I find that if you can quickly blow your nose before that sneeze deveops into a 90 mile an hour tornado, that usually stops it.

My family laugh at me – – – -but it does the job.

I hope that helps Paul.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, you must support your back by using those abdominal muscles -and gentlemen-dont think pelvic floor exercises are just for us girls- they are very important for you too!!

Even doing everyday tasks like hoovering, dusting and particularly bending and lifting- think about those abdominals. I have found that Pilates exercises invaluable for this.

Please dont think Im little miss perfect– I still wake up in the morning on my side to find my tummy lying on the mattress- if you see what I mean- so my abdominals still have a long way to go!!

And as for sneezing with a bad back AND a weak bladder– I leave that to your imagination!

Keep bracing Paul- it will help.
    Take care, with love from Linda xx

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks all, now exercising!

Lil
    Participant

Oooooh Snap!! lolol you dont know what to hold do you? lololol I just brace myself & hope. My Mum said the osteo told her yrs ago not to sneeze but to hold your nose till the sneeze had gone away but that doesnt work for me as I still feel the pressure as if the discs are blowing out like a balloon. eeeeek!!
    Do you take any medication for hayfever? that reduces the sneezing I find.
    Happy days, Love Lil

Anonymous
    Inactive

HI ALL ,
    I KNOW HOW YOU ALL FEEL!!!
    MY PHYSIO TOLD ME THAT WHEN I FEEL A SNEEZE COMING(OR A COUGH) I SHOULD LOOK UP BECAUSE IT CHANGES THE POINT OF PRESSURE FROM THE BACK. IT WORKS FOR ME (WHEN I REMEMBER!!)
    SO TRY LOOKING UP AND GIVE A LITTLE COUGH YOU CAN FEEL THE DIFFERANCE
    TAKE CAR ALL & HAPPY SNEEZING!!!! JANE

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oooo, i actually did my original injury with a sneeze – was sitting on the floor with my legs out stright in front of me, sneeze, ripped up back.

If you are sitting at the table then put both elbows on the table and hold your chin firmly – you can’t move!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I tried the ‘pulling everything in’ method this morning after being in agony following a surprise coughing bout – worked a treat – thanks Jan

jill

Jan
    Participant

Well done Jill! This exercise is basically what Pilates is all about, developing strong ‘core’ muscles in the abdomen to support the back. It’s a really important exercise.

I tried the ‘look up’ method, but would stress that if you have a neck problem (or even if you don’t), be very careful if you try that one! It might be safer to stick to the abdominal method.

Good luck with the coughing and sneezing everyone!
    Jan at PainSupport

Sara
    Participant

I sympathise!!! I have had a recurrence of my back problem, oh how I ahd forgotten how sore it was to cough and sneeze!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard
    Participant

Try folding your upper lip over your nose to prevent a sneeze–works for me

Anonymous
    Inactive

Best thing I have found is to press up under your nose with your finger where it meets your top lip. Alternatively try to to ‘suck’ you top lip in to your mouth using your bottom lip. This puts pressure on your nose and the ‘tingling’ sensation before you sneeze eases. You might have to do this a couple of times but it will stop a sneeze altogether.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.